[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: M9hF2kA.jpg (534KB, 2136x3216px) Image search: [Google]
M9hF2kA.jpg
534KB, 2136x3216px
>Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy.
>>
>>2004665

is it weird that i know a guy who looks just like that but hes a fundamentalist young earth catholic who thinks psychiatry and neuroscience is trash.
>>
Nobody has said that
>>
>>2004665
O'Reilly said the same thing about christianity. can we get a tipping image of him?
>>
I had a Hindu philosophy prof say this once. It was weird.
>>
File: 1473838335909.jpg (200KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1473838335909.jpg
200KB, 400x534px
>>2004665
It's both, you know.
>>
>>2004665
>>2004739
>>2004678
>>2004671
>>2004670
>>2004691
surely all religions are philosophical.
>>
>>2004739
Yeah but it is a religion.
>>
>>2004757
>surely all religions are philosophical.
Protestantism is just trash.
>>
>>2004759
At it's core, yes. Buddhistic teachings stand on their own on a philosophical basis, still.
>>
>>2004757
yeah but that doesn't mean you can say they aren't religions
>>
>>2004799
oh yeah course, guess we all agree then. new thread?
>>
>>2004665
It is true tho, (Theravada); Buddhism isn't about worshipping God, but practicing the teaching of the Buddha;
>>
It's both. I can say that christianity is the Science of the Cross, and I would be right.
>>
File: fedora redditors.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fedora redditors.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>2004678
>>2004670
found the Redditors

This is a place for actual discussion about philosophy and religion, not venting because pastor Jones tickled your bung hole.
>>
>>2004757
But not all Philosophies are religions. Rather, I'd suggest that a religion is the combination of a Metaphysic and a Philosophy. This way it answers both the question "why are we here?" and "what should we do?".
>>
>>2004848

who said religion was about god.
>>
>>2004665
When Buddhism first started, there was no element of worship. It was a way of life that acknowledged reincarnation. This would make it incompatible with religions that don't believe in reincarnation. However, those that do can have followers who are both Buddhist and their original religion. Later, however, the spread of Buddhism throughout Asia caused regional variations. Many of these took on more religious elements, some even going as far as to worship Siddhartha as a deity.
tl;dr Buddhism didn't start as a religion but in many cases now is.
>>
>>2004881
(same guy) Eastern traditions often blur the line between religious philosophy and philosophy. For example, many people today still debate whether or not Confucianism is a religion.
>>
>>2004881

you can literally say the same thing about christianity.
>>
>>2004881
i think religions are "ways of life" and if buddhism had any beliefs then it could be considered a religion. Surely it did in order to have a way of life distinct from others.
>>
Here's an interesting blog by actual Buddhist about western pop-Buddhism and its relationship to the original native Buddhism: https://vividness.live/2011/07/05/the-king-of-siam-invents-western-buddhism/ , https://vividness.live/2011/06/21/modern-buddhism-forged-as-anti-colonial-weapon/ .

In short, he argues what that is known as Buddhism in the West was largely invented in the 19th century specifically to appeal to European liberal values and was intentionally designed to be a "secular religion". Moreover, he traces the influence of contemporary European philosophy on the new "faith" - https://vividness.live/2015/09/28/how-asian-buddhism-imported-western-ethics/ .
>>
>>2004761
Why?
>>
>>2004665
The most accurate definition of religion I can muster is "a system of beliefs that aim to explain the metaphysical with the supernatural/spiritual"

Under that definition, yeah Buddhism is a religion. Unless you take out the bits about reincarnation and the like, then it just becomes a philosophy.
>>
>>2004855
>everyone i don't like is reddit and i dont wanna post arguments :(((
>>
>>2004881
Couldn't you say the same about taoism?
>>
>>2005049
They worship a manic-depressive monk named Luther.
>>
>>2004857
I would also throw in a Praxis in there. It's what separates say, David Chalmers from a religious thinker.
>>
>>2004855
XD got em
>>
>>2005537
whats praxis? in my head thats a medical term.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.