[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historical Figures who lived a really long time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: oldcastro.jpg (77KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
oldcastro.jpg
77KB, 1024x576px
ITT: We name historical figures (preferably from the early and mid-20th century) who are either somehow still alive, or lived way past the time period they're associated with.

Still Alive:
Raul Castro
Dalai Lama
Henry Kissinger
Gorby
Daddy Bush
Jimmy Carter

Dead:
Võ Nguyên Giáp (d. 2013)
Madame Chiang Kai-shek (d. 2003, endorsed George W. and witnessed 9/11)
Lazar Kaganovich (d. 1991, last Old Bolshevik and nearly outlived USSR)
Vyacheslav Molotov (d. 1986)
And of course pic related

Who else?
>>
>>2004072
>(preferably from the early and mid-20th century)
I always hear how in ancient times people hardly ever lived to old age but given how many historical figures from olden times I see with birth to death dates which show they lived to their 70s or sometimes later, I want to say that everyone is just fooled by the high child mortality rates, but if someone lived past childhood they were generally likely to have a good lifespan barring events like famines or plagues.
>>
a favorite of mine is Pepi II, a pharaoh of egypt in the 2200s BC who came to the throne at the age of 6 and lived to be 94. He reigned for such an obscenely long time that when he finally did die nearly all of his children and grandchildren were already dead. He had been an inept demented relic for so long that his governors had been doing all the real work in the kingdom, amassing more and more control over their local regions, so when he died most of them declared independence. The old kingdom of Egypt completely collapsed just a few years after his death leading to a dark age that lasted over a century until one of the warring states was finally able to reunify the country.
>>
>>2004102
Generally true, but unexpected deaths were quite common prior to the modern era. You read about many people who died suddenly from "fever".
>>
>>2004072
Hitler lived in Argentina for many decades after Germany lost WWII.
>>
File: you need this (you) mokou.jpg (45KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
you need this (you) mokou.jpg
45KB, 392x495px
>>2004139
Source?
>>
No Queen Liz?
>>
>>2004102

Average lifespan was shorter, that doesn't necessarily mean that death of old age was younger. People could theoretically live long lives and it wouldn't be 'weird', just less common.

Child mortality does skew it, but there's also the higher likelihood that some sort of illness will get you in adulthood compared to today.
>>
Sophocles was around 90 when he died. In his 80s he was still serving as a general too
>>
>>2004072

Old grandads Gorbachov and Carter should be Presidents again. The world would be a better place.
>>
File: IMG_0073.jpg (170KB, 557x743px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.jpg
170KB, 557x743px
Michael I of Romania is the last head of state from WWII. (Minus Simeon of Bulgaria and the Dalai Lama, who were kids)
>>
>>2006738
>capitalist roader and peanut selling weakling
No.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.