[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science and the Church

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: Tulp.jpg (342KB, 1600x1264px) Image search: [Google]
Tulp.jpg
342KB, 1600x1264px
Were tensions between the church and science really as high as people make them out to be? Was Galileo really placed under house arrest for suggesting heliocentrism? Did Linnaeus really fear persecution from religious authorities?
>>
>>2003979
It wasn't that the Church was at particular odds with science, but rather that it was on very shaky ground everywhere due to the turmoil of the reformation and counter reformation. The Church was against Galileo for suggesting that Aristotle was wrong, not being able to provide convincing proof of his model, and being arrogant when confronted about that. As far as Linnaeus goes, I think people were just scandalized at his gratuitous sexualization of plants.
>>
File: Simian.jpg (607KB, 1003x862px) Image search: [Google]
Simian.jpg
607KB, 1003x862px
>>2004004
What about the whole "Anthropomorpha" thing?
>>
>>2003979
A LOT of scientific advancement originated among Roman Catholics. For political reasons the turmoil beginning in the early modern era is emphasized in our textbooks.
>>
File: Scopes.jpg (2MB, 2013x1120px) Image search: [Google]
Scopes.jpg
2MB, 2013x1120px
>>2004041
Never said it didn't. I just know that every group has their share of quarrels.
>>
>>2004095
Is pic relevant? Because the whole creationism vs evolution saga didn't have to do with The Church. It was a Protestant thing.
>>
File: Timeline.jpg (56KB, 970x530px) Image search: [Google]
Timeline.jpg
56KB, 970x530px
>>2004164
Somewhat, I just know that every so often we have a sort of "religion vs science'" spat, and then we move on, only for it to happen again.
>>
>>2004177
Religion vs science is much different than The Church vs. science.

If you really want to analyze whether most religions conflict with science I suppose you can start with this: Many religious sects reject the use of technology for moral reasons. The conflict isn't based on understanding how the world works but on concepts of morality.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.