[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historical Feels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 98

File: Stonewall.jpg (215KB, 510x600px) Image search: [Google]
Stonewall.jpg
215KB, 510x600px
What are some bits of history, or historical figures, that hit you right in the heart?

> Stonewall Jackson lost his first wife and baby in childbirth, and was so devastated he almost lived at their grave. Family members often had to go get him and literally drag him away - he said he just wanted to crawl inside with them. This severe depression went on for a very long time and when it became apparent Jackson was not getting over his loss, his father-in-law suggested he take a tour of Europe. Jackson had been planning to do so with his wife and child as soon as it got old enough and replied that such a thing was now out of the question. The old preacher told him he understood Jackson's loss - he'd lost his daughter and grandchild - but that it wouldn't dishonor them for Jackson to take a trip, get away from sad memories for awhile. So, Jackson rather reluctantly set off.

>He toured all the great cathedrals and churches, visited only one battlefield - Waterloo - and returned with a renewed belief in life being for the living. He also decided remarriage was no longer unthinkable, that in fact his deceased wife would want him to remarry. He didn't have much of a little black book but he remembered D.H. Hill's sister-in-law - she was a devout Christian, too - and abruptly appeared at Hill's house requesting to see Anna. She saw him and he promptly proposed. "Why, Major Jackson!" she spluttered. "I don't know you!" He persuaded her, though, and Hill put in several good words for him, and she agreed. He never took her for granted, or their surviving baby.
>>
Teddy Roosevelt losing his mother and wife on the same day ranks pretty high in my books. His mother died of typhoid fever and his wife because of kidney failure... and she had just given birth to their daughter like two days earlier.

Pic related, it's his diary page for that day.
>>
>>2003888
this is some fictional tier shit

feels bittersweet
>>
Victoria losing her beloved husband Prince Albert.

Wore black for the rest of her life and continued to lay out clothes for him ;_;
>>
Maximilian I. of Mexico always hits me in the feels
>Be second in succession of Habsburg throne
>Don't care much for it, be more of a liberal artsy kinda guy, built himself a few secluded romantic houses.
>Finds the love of his life and actually gets to marry her, something really unusual for royal weddings
>Habsburgs allying with France wants them to help get controll over Mexico
>Tell you to go and rule there
>You say no, unless the people of Mexico want you
>Get shown a forged document claiming they do
>You still don't really want you, but your brother and the other royals pressure you into doing so
>Go to Mexico with your wife to find the palast in desolate shape and your chances of winning bad.
>nobody in the new country likes you.
>Try to do a few things but make it even worse
>Try to call for help from Europe
>nobody wants to help you anymore.
>Get scared, get desperate.
>Write to you mother that you want to go home
>Answer: An emperor doesnt leave his people
>Ask you wife for you to leave
>Answer: But we are the emperors here, I'm the empress. Do you want to lose all this?
>Get captured
>Get killed
>Your wife goes insane and spends the rest of her life in dilusion thinking that she still is an empress
>All you wanted was a peaceful artsy life
>>
Napoleon not winning
>>
The greeks not being subdued by the Persians
>>
>>2003888
The tale of those two generals during Gettysburg, Armistead and Hancock. They were close friends before the war, posted at the same fort in San Diego.

When the war broke out Armistead chose to join the confederate army and Hancock stayed with the Union. When they parted Armistead said to his friends, according to accounts: "Goodbye; you can never know what this has cost me"

They both served well and got promoted to high positions.

During the battle of Gettysburg Armistead fought in Longstreets corps and was part of Pickett's charge. Hancock on the other side, had received command of the Union centre during the first day of the battle and his forces bore the brunt of Longstreets assault. During the charge, Armistead was wounded while leading his troops. He was brought to a union hospital and died two days later. Hancock couldn't visit him although he expressed the will to do so because he had been wounded himself. A bullet had hit his saddle, punching a nail from the saddle into his thigh.

The old friends were not more than a 100 meter apart when they both were wounded.
>>
>>2004011

They never mention the X but it's probably the most telling thing. He must have been trying to write something more and then just given up. the remaining words were all he could muster.
>>
All these idiots in Hollywood shoving gay people into history where they don't belong, but they are too scared to make the Germans the "good" guys to actually have a good movie about someone who was gay.

Frederick "The Great" of Prussia

>Frederick was temporarily sent to his father's hunting lodge at Königs Wusterhausen in order "to repent of his sin". Around the same time, he became close friends with Hans Hermann von Katte.

>When he was 18, Frederick plotted to flee to England with Katte and other junior army officers. While the royal retinue was near Mannheim in the Electorate of the Palatinate, Robert Keith, Peter's brother, had an attack of conscience when the conspirators were preparing to escape and begged Frederick William for forgiveness on 5 August 1730; Frederick and Katte were subsequently arrested and imprisoned in Küstrin. Because they were army officers who had tried to flee Prussia for Great Britain, Frederick William leveled an accusation of treason against the pair. The king briefly threatened the crown prince with the death penalty, then considered forcing Frederick to renounce the succession in favour of his brother, Augustus William, although either option would have been difficult to justify to the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire. The king forced Frederick to watch the decapitation of his confidant Katte at Küstrin on 6 November, leaving the crown prince to faint right before the fatal blow was struck.

>Katte was beheaded at the fortress of Küstrin where the king forced Frederick to watch the execution. However when he was brought up to be executed, Frederick shouted in French to Katte, "Veuillez pardonner mon cher Katte, au nom de Dieu, pardonne-moi!" ("Please forgive, my dear Katte, in God's name, forgive me."). Katte called back in the same language, "There is nothing to forgive, I die for you with joy in my heart!" Frederick then fell to the floor in a dead faint. These were Katte's last words.
>>
File: 1464893043022.jpg (37KB, 500x375px)
1464893043022.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
>>2004039
I read that she also had hot water brought in (so Alfred could shave)

>>2003888
I think the biggest feel for me is reading the letters of John and Abigail Adams.
>mfw I will never have a love as true, pure, tender or strong as John and Abigail Adams
>>
>>2005722
That made me really sad actually, I never knew this happened
>>
File: hold on bro.jpg (33KB, 557x670px) Image search: [Google]
hold on bro.jpg
33KB, 557x670px
fuck
>>
>>2004093
>He spoke only in Spanish and gave his executioners a portion of gold not to shoot him in the head so that his mother could see his face. His last words were, "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva Mexico, viva la independencia!"

The wheel of history is cruelest to those with good hearts and intentions.
>>
File: 1462302031301.jpg (45KB, 600x600px)
1462302031301.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
>>2005722
>

>"Into tears, my father, that’s how I want to melt away, when thinking that this letter will cause the greatest grief to a faithful father's heart. That all the hopes for my future welfare and its comfort in old age has to disappear at once; that all applied effort and diligence for my upbringing to the maturity of the desired happiness even have been in vain; yes – that I will have to bow in the prime of my years without presenting to you in this world the fruits of my efforts and my achieved sciences. How didn't I think to ascend the world and make your conceived hope one satisfied; how didn't I think that I will not lack of happiness and well-being; how wasn't I occupied from the certainty of my reputation. But all in vain! How futile man's thoughts are: At once everything is falling apart; and how sadly is the scenery of my life coming to an end; and how is my current state distinguished from that with which my thoughts have gone; I must – instead of promenading the way of honor and reputation – walk the path of disgrace and a shameful death. [..] Get strong again my father, and believe me, God is with me in this game, without whose will nothing happens, not even a sparrow on the earth may fall! [...] Meanwhile, I thank you with filial respect for all the father loyalty shown to me, from my childhood to the present hour [...] Now nothing is left for me but to close with this consolation: Even though, my father, you haven't experienced anything high and distinguished from me in this world, oh! so please be assured that you will find even higher in heaven. Your faithful until death son. Hans Hermann"

>Upon witnessing his death, Frederick was plunged into deep despair for three days. After that, he never spoke of Katte again nor visited his grave as Katte's remains rest in the crypt of the church in Wust.
>>
>>2005722
>>2006691
I'm presuming that when he became king, the snitch got what was coming to him.
>>
>>2003888
I did a tour of the independence war and the civil war with my dad when I turned 18 (belgian mofo here) and of all the characters I met in the stories, stonewall was the only one that broke my heart... the guy was literally a good guy and not even just like "oh he's good deep in side'" he was literally just a good fucking bro...
>>
File: Paul Baumer on killing.jpg (1MB, 3000x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Paul Baumer on killing.jpg
1MB, 3000x1089px
>>2003888
>>
>>2006739
Kids suffering always gets me. They usually have no idea what's going on
>>
File: Iraq war - lost parents.jpg (34KB, 339x512px) Image search: [Google]
Iraq war - lost parents.jpg
34KB, 339x512px
>>2006749
>>
File: ISIS tough guys.png (1022KB, 747x565px)
ISIS tough guys.png
1022KB, 747x565px
>>2006750
>>
>>2006753
>>
File: medieval warfare was brutal.png (2MB, 1025x769px) Image search: [Google]
medieval warfare was brutal.png
2MB, 1025x769px
>>2006754
Been going on for some time too
>>
>>2006757
>>
File: 1922 - Greek genocide.jpg (43KB, 374x600px) Image search: [Google]
1922 - Greek genocide.jpg
43KB, 374x600px
>>2006760
>>
>>2006764
>>
>>2006766
>>
Thread needs a couple of happy feels too

>Exasperated at the heroic defence of Welfs, Conrad III had resolved to destroy Weinsberg and imprison its defenders He however suspended the last assault, after negotiating a surrender which granted the women the right to leave with whatever they could carry on their shoulders. The women eschewed their possessions, and carried their husbands on their shoulders. When the king saw what was happening he laughed and accepted the women's clever trick, saying that a king should always stand by his word.
>>
>>2003888
Constantine XI watching his city being overrun.
>>
File: 1463834975928.jpg (35KB, 600x600px)
1463834975928.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>2003888
>The North African campaign between the German Africa Korps and the British 8th Army during World War 2 was often called "The Gentleman's War", for the unbelievable gallantry displayed by both sides. To demonstrate, a British soldier was critically wounded during the Battle of El Alamein. He was brought to a British field hospital, and found himself lying beside a German prisoner who had also been critically wounded. He reached out and squeezed the German soldier's hand. The German soldier squeezed back. He lost consciousness and woke up the next morning, and found that his German companion was gone. When he asked what happened to the man beside him, the doctor simply replied "He died during the night. You were still holding hands."
>>
>>2006749
You and me both. I'm straight-up crying now; holy fuck.
>>
>>2006760
Man, this one always gets me really badly. Wasn't she asked to draw a picture of home or something? I can't imagine how mentally fucked up she was.
>>
File: image.png (154KB, 1801x540px)
image.png
154KB, 1801x540px
This post makes me feel pretty sad desu
>>
>>2006830

I would actually like to see a movie of this.

I think it would play to the whole "war is hell for both sides" theme.
>>
The death of Louis Charles (son of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI) always gets to me.

He was separated from his family after Louis XVI's death for "re-education." His "re-education" involved getting him drunk, abusing and punishing him whenever he acted "royally" or mentioned wanting to see his family and praising him when he acted "coarse"; for instance he was praised for swearing, drinking, and yelling out lines or songs about how great the Revolution was and how horrid his "bitch mother" was. He was eventually forced into accusing his mother and aunt of sexually abusing him.

He was eventually shut up in a room and ignored for more than a year. The months in this neglect contributed to extremely poor health. He ended up in poor health, covered in bug bites and rat bites, and psychologically fucked up from the almost 2 years of abuse.

Some months after Robespierre's fall, they finally started treated him like a human being, and his room was cleaned, he was given medicine and food, treated with kindness, and he was allowed to walk around the prison--including trips to the top of the tower for fresh air. But they hadn't told him that his mother died, and wouldn't give him any news about her. He would pass the door of her (former) room whenever he went for a walk at the top of the tower, and once picked flowers which were growing in one of the cracks outside and left them outside her doorway. However the years of emotional and physical abuse had shattered his health, and he died from a longstanding infection.

After his death, they found the half-finished words "Mama, I am sor--" written on the wall of his room. One of the men who attended to him after his conditions improved implied in a memoir that Charles thought his mother wouldn't come to him because she was mad at him.

He was 8 when he was separated from his family, and 10 when he died.
>>
File: 1459738327060.jpg (132KB, 905x704px) Image search: [Google]
1459738327060.jpg
132KB, 905x704px
Hiroshima survivor, who was 10 years old at the time:

>I saw two burnt bodies, not too far away. I saw that one of the bodies had holes where the eyes should be and one gold tooth. My mother had one gold tooth. So I knew it was her. "Hurry I found her!" I yelled to my sister. My sister said, "I'm too scared!" I said "Come here now!" So my sister ran over. Together we looked at the body. We reached out and said "Mommy!" Before our eyes, the body crumbled into ashes. This happened 60 years ago but I'll never forget it. "Mommy!"

Her sister threw herself in front of a train shortly after the bombings.

From that same survivor

>One woman was carrying a baby. The baby had no head. I was so scared. The woman said give me water. I felt paralyzed, what could I do, I was 10 years old? I had to help my sister, so I left the woman to help my sister.
>>
On my dad's side, my grandmother's oldest sister was married and had a child. The sister and her family was killed by a bombing were killed by an air raid when they were supposedly hiding in a bomb shelter.

On my mom's side, my grandfather's brothers were killed when the bridge their train was going over was blown up.

This all happened in Korea during the Korean War.
>>
File: 1479636375632.png (302KB, 1440x562px) Image search: [Google]
1479636375632.png
302KB, 1440x562px
there's an apocryphal stalin quote after the death of his first wife, ekaterina svanidze

>"This creature softened my heart of stone. She’s died and with her have died my last warm feelings for humanity"
>>
>>2007022
>He was eventually shut up in a room and ignored for more than a year.
Apparently ended up eating his shit
>>
>>2006709
Ya the only book to give me feels was Gods and Generals when Stonewall dies. The man was loved by everyone and he lost so much. Also probably the best damn fighting General we had.
>>
>>2004011
>That dark script X, looking as if he spent lots of time scratching away at it because he didn't know what the fuck to write

>The shaky handwriting, in his attempt to make it look nice it just looks more sad

> That lack of punctuation and subtle smudges on the page

Fuuuuuck
>>
>>2006820
The Fall of Constantinople is one of the most depressing events in history
>that time when a Venetian ship risked their lives crossing the Bosphorus to bring supplies to Constantinople while being chased by the Turks
>when they arrived and Constantine IX came to greet them, he burst into tears because of their courage and determination to fullfill their objective
>>
>On 7 October 1915, the Kingdom of Serbia was invaded by a combined German and Austro-Hungarian force. On 14 October, Kingdom of Bulgaria declared war on Serbia. With his troops vastly outnumbered and outgunned, Serbian Field Marshal Radomir Putnik ordered a full retreat of the Serbian military south and west through Allied Kingdom of Montenegro and into neutral Principality of Albania on 25 November 1915.
>The weather was terrible, the roads were poor and the army had to help the tens of thousands of civilians who were retreating along with soldiers and who had almost no supplies or food. But the bad weather and poor roads worked for the Serbians as well, as the Germans and Bulgarians could not advance past the Albanian mountains, and so the thousands of Serbians who were fleeing their homeland managed to evade capture. However, hundreds of thousands perished due to hunger, disease, thirst, hypothermia, and because of attacks by enemy forces and Albanian tribal bands.
>The circumstances of the retreat were disastrous, and all told, some 155,000 Serbians, mostly soldiers, reached the coast of the Adriatic Sea, and then embarked on Allied transport ships that carried them to various Greek islands (many to Corfu) before being sent to the Salonika Front.
>>
>>2007022
Goddamn. I always hear about Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, but never him.
>>
>>2006903
It is rough, I'm all for defending your beliefs and your own family... but there are plenty of leaders out there who view children as nothing more than "my enemy fifteen years from now"

For example, I hate gypsies. I'd sooner bare knuckle box one than give him five bucks while pan handling. I'd never be angry at their kids though. I'd never do this to them either... takes real monsters

>>2006923
She was asked to draw her home yes. I think the thicker lines are meant to be fences and the inner square a barracks or the incinerators. The smudges she is making are the ash smoke plumes.
>>
File: timothy dexter.png (64KB, 1920x243px) Image search: [Google]
timothy dexter.png
64KB, 1920x243px
>>2006807
That's actually pretty good, thanks anon. Have some quality Timothy Dexter
>>
>>2004011
First tear I've shed in years.
>>
>>2007022
Do you have a source for the writing on his wall?
>>
>>2006760
>Child born in the concentration camps
Weren't children gassed on the spot ?
>>
>>2006770
reminds me of my own drawings as kid desu
>>
>>2006830
The Anglo and the Teuton are natural friends
>>
>>2003888
Glad that had a happy ending. Christ it sounds like a perfect film.
>>
File: Liu Bang Last SUpper.jpg (43KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
Liu Bang Last SUpper.jpg
43KB, 400x267px
>>2003888
Not really feelsie, but Han Dynasty's founder Emperor Liu Bang just waiting for a fucking break in his life like the unemployed but married 30something that he was hits my heart in a warm spot.
>Honey, baby, you gotta bear with me. I know Im gonna break. Anyway gonna get drunk with the guys, be home at night tho.

Turns out the kidnapping of his wife and him asking Xiang Yu for soldiers was that break.
>>
File: Hongwu Emperor.gif (213KB, 566x790px) Image search: [Google]
Hongwu Emperor.gif
213KB, 566x790px
>>2008232
As for feels I guess Zhu Yuanzhang's entire family getting wiped out by a famine and him having to bury all them himself in an empty clan village.

Joined a Monastery in grief, joined a Buddhist Rebellion versus the Yuan Dynasty, ended up as founder of the Ming Dynasty.
>>
>>2005722
>Frederick then fell to the floor in a dead faint.

He fainted. What a fag.
>>
>I wish you would come to Salona and see the cabbages I have planted. You would never again mention to me the name of empire.
>>
>>2008232
That movie would have been so much better if they cut away the second half and expanded the first half with all the actual interesting stuff.
>>
>>2007022
Whose worst, eternal Anglo, the French or Hans?
>>
>>2008360
We're all pretty horrible sometimes.

But I've no anglo heritage, so they're the worst.
>>
>>2008360
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair
>>
>>2007057
Fucking Amercans....
>>
>>2008432
>Rape of Nankino
>Bataan death march
>Unit 731
To each its own.
>>
>>2003888
>That historically inaccurate battle flag in the background.

Wow,Southerners really do love a 4-year treasonous rebellion to protect human trafficking more than they love their own country, and they aren't even fucking educated about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULBCuHIpNgU
>>
>Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
>>
>>2008479
has it occurred to you that southerners use what we regard as the confederate flag because it's the general symbol of the South, not because of it's association with slavery and the civil war, and that liberals have been trying to project the racist meaning onto it in order to discredit the Republican voting white southerners?

Which, incidentally, makes the liberals the uneducated ones.
>>
>>2006750
>AH HAHAHA FAGGOT
>>
>>2008479
>>That historically inaccurate battle flag in the background.
U whot? You include a video informing that the X shaped flag is a battleflag, what seems to be the problem. You just saw the chance to moralize this thread with your knowledge of the official southern standard right?
>>
>>2008479
>Mort Künstler
>a Southerner
lol quality b8
>>
File: 2016-04-10_2-29-49.jpg (89KB, 679x621px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-10_2-29-49.jpg
89KB, 679x621px
>>2003888
I'm gonna be suuuper vague right now and ask for a screencap of a previous /his/feels thread: The screencap was about a misunderstood Byzantine emperor who was demonized by his succesor and forced to watch his family burn and after got his eyes cut out or something

Because i'm super vague i'm atleast gonna contribute myself
>>
>>2006830

"'Ere, where's my fucking ring?"
>>
File: jackie mullen052.jpg (1MB, 1853x1428px)
jackie mullen052.jpg
1MB, 1853x1428px
>>2008706

In case you were interested, this is Jackie.
>>
>>2004093
>Trusting Hapsburg with "documents"

sounds of austrian rubbing hands
>>
>>2008706
>>2008723
sad
>>
>>2008740
The documents were forged by Mexican nobility desperate for a monarch, and vouched for by the French emperor who was eager to get into Mexico. Leave Austria alone.
>>
>>2006749
it doesnt affect me, death of family members dont affect me either, I thought I had some kind of mental illness for a while but I did cry about that dog waiting for his dead owner to return
>>
>>2008631
Fuck.
>>
>>2006770
I, and a lot of children in my class here in holland used to draw these
>>
>>2008723
Oh thanks never knew
>>
>>2007745
only thing about it that upsets me is the burning of the library. perhaps the most tragic event in history
>>
>>2008635

Why would you pick the top left corner of a short-lived confederate battle flag as a "general symbol" for the south? Why does "The South" need a general symbol? When you say "The South" are you referring to states that were part of The Confederacy?

It seems pretty disingenuous to pretend you aren't referring to confederate history when using the top left corner of a confederate battle flag to represent solidarity among former confederate states.

Liberals aren't projecting racist meaning onto it. The people usually wearing it are either

1) Dixie apologists
2) People who take some kind of unarticulated and arbitrary pride in being "Southern" outside of or in addition to their equally arbitrary pride in being American.
3) People like Kanye West who want to "reclaim it" from "the racists."

Face it. You cannot divorce that flag from confederate history without mental gymnastics. The South seceded because it wanted to own people. Their rebellion lasted 4 years, and was put down.

Now you and others have spent the longer half of American history trying to pretend the flag has nothing to do with any of that.
>>
>>2008631
>Mehmet, my son...
>>
>>2008808
Take it to a new thread, don't shit this one up retard.
>>
>>2008808
>>blah blah I'm asshurt about some flag cuz I don't like people on 4chan being un-pc

Fuck off you weeping vagina.
>>
>>2008814
Tell that to the guy who I'm responding to, as well.

Or are you for some reason more invested in me shutting up than him shutting up?
>>
>>2008821
Did you make this post>>2008479
?

If you did you started the pointless and idiotic derail and you really should fuck off.
>>
File: 1395959946392.jpg (174KB, 720x540px)
1395959946392.jpg
174KB, 720x540px
>>2008479

>those attempts at "fixing" their flag

how fucking horrifying
>>
>>2006807
More like this please
>>
>>2008821
You started the shitfest. You need to be the one to shut up and leave.
>>
>>2006830
Fucking feels bad man
>>
File: S1_02_Mildo.jpg (42KB, 520x360px)
S1_02_Mildo.jpg
42KB, 520x360px
>>2006830

sounds like bullshit desu
>>
>>2008203
I think it is Madame de Tourzel's memoirs, I'll go check.
>>
>>2008747
>trusting mexicans with documents
>>
>>2008635
Everything you said is bullshit based on an overly simplistic view of who you see as your enemy, like the north and south are sport teams.

You poor persecuted soul.
>>
>>2008808
>Why does "The South" need a general symbol?

Why shouldn't it have a symbol?

Why do liberals always try to cut down heritage wherever it stands and attempt to justify blending regions in with the supposed "rest of the country/world" (in truth the US you thought you knew is rife with symbols. Why does Cascadia need a general symbol?)

in truth it's just shilling the same everyone should be forced into equality spiel you liberals have been shilling from the beginning

GUESS WHAT: People don't like being forced into equality. Enjoy losing elections.
>>
>>2003888
I remember when I was a kid we read about a woman, I think she was a suffragette, whose 7 year-old daughter hit her head and died when she rushed to greet them.

The description and the drawings were so sad but I can't remember who she was
>>
File: 1466346353506.png (358KB, 1886x718px)
1466346353506.png
358KB, 1886x718px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldNSMnEeKio&t=3s
>>
>>2008360
The Belgians.
>>
>>2004011
Trying so hard not to cry rn
>>
>>2003888
My grandpas book on the tortures NKWD gave him. Though it is biased lol.
>>
>>2006830
Gaayyyy!
>>
>>2008360
>Eternal French
It is the "Eternal Frank".
>>
File: iskander mirza.jpg (21KB, 194x298px)
iskander mirza.jpg
21KB, 194x298px
>Iskander Mirza lived in exile in London, England, until his death. It is reported that Mirza struggled financially while living in London trying to run a small Pakistan cuisine hotel.[21] Here he lived in poverty until his death. His only regular income was an annual pension of £3,000 as a former military officer and president. People like the Ispahanis, Ardeshir Zahedi, the ambassador and later Foreign Minister of Iran, the Shah of Iran, Lord Inchcape, Lord Hume and other heads of European governments made his life in exile tolerable. At the London hospital where he died, he once said to his wife, Nahid: "We cannot afford medical treatment, so just let me die." [22]
>He died of a heart attack on 13 November 1969. President Yahya Khan denied him a burial in Pakistan.
>>
>>2008360

Eternal Anglo
>>
>>2008479

I don't view the flag as slavery nowadays, because desu, no one owns slaves in America. I just see it as a flag for red necks. If they want to keep it, let them.
>>
>>2008808
>Why would you pick the top left corner of a short-lived confederate battle flag as a "general symbol" for the south?
why not? Anyway, people don't generally pick these things, they just sort of happen organically.

>When you say "The South" are you referring to states that were part of The Confederacy?
I'm referring to the parts of the US which in common parlance are called the South, which may include but not be exclusively limited to the states of the former confederacy. There are plenty of these general geographical terms in the US which are used with varying degrees of looseness, like New England, the Midwest, Cascadia, etc, etc.

> Why does "The South" need a general symbol?
why not? Why does New England need it's own flag, or Cascadia?

>Face it. You cannot divorce that flag from confederate history without mental gymnastics.
just because you want to reduce the entirety of the South's identity down to the secession and slavery in order to discredit the identity of people who overwhelmingly vote Republican, doesn't mean white southerners have to see it that way. They probably have a broader view of their culture, of which slavery and the civil war are only a part.

Speaking of which, when are you taking down the Stars and Stripes? You can just as easily make the argument that it was the flag of slaveholders. If it can be associated in any way with slavery, the fact that is has a much broader cultural meaning doesn't matter - those are the rules you want to play by.

The people usually wearing it are either
1) American apologists
2) People who take some kind of unarticulated and arbitrary pride in being "American" outside of or in addition to their equally arbitrary pride in being a New Yorker, a Californian, a Virginian, a New Englander, etc, etc.

>>2008891
I'm not a Southerner. In fact, I'm not even American you moron.
>>
>>2006766

This one makes me ashemed of being a turk. And what more makes me ashemed is that the ones around me are actually pround of ''muuuh beeattinngg daaa shieeet out offf daa armenians ha-ha-ha''.
No words.
>>
File: 54534.jpg (146KB, 662x662px) Image search: [Google]
54534.jpg
146KB, 662x662px
>>2006757
>>
American USAAF lieutenant rescued in 1942
>>
File: 1382384994411.jpg (12KB, 222x222px)
1382384994411.jpg
12KB, 222x222px
>>2010414
>>
>>2008789
Yeah, in Holland. Safe, secure, video game playing, movie watching Holland. These kids actually see that shit.

>>2008216
Again, based on media you freely watched from the safety of the first world. You didn't live it.

>>2008210
Not all camps were death camps, but generally yes. They were exterminated. The girl in this picture is Tereska. Poor thing had her mind warped by the experience

>>2010138
Don't be ashamed. Humanity is brutal. It always has been and always will be. You did not do that to Armenians, so there is no shame to be had. Try uplifting and educating. If you can't do that, pass it along to your kids and family. İyi yolculuklar
>>
>>2006830
his arm must have been so fucking tired when he woke up
>>
>>2004011
Valentine's Day..
>>
>>2010414
did a search on this and found out it was a fake image of some shitty youtuber
>>
File: 5dnYXASh.jpg (324KB, 933x1024px)
5dnYXASh.jpg
324KB, 933x1024px
>>2003888
>>
>>2011282
his eyes were blue
>>
>>2004011
>>2011239
I'm not crying...
>>
File: 220px-Gracie.jpg (14KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Gracie.jpg
14KB, 220x293px
Archibald Gracie was a Titanic survivor who just short of 9 months after the disaster. His health never recovered from the hypothermia and other physical injuries he received that night (he was one of the men who went into the water but survived clinging to the overturned collapsible) but he spent the last months of his life putting together a detailed account of that night, corresponding with other survivors to get a fuller picture.

In his last hours he became delirious, and his last words were: "We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats."
>>
>>2008479
>A general in the Army of Northern Virginia wouldn't have the Battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia in the background

wow, yankees really do like sounding smart about things they aren't even educated about
>>
>>2003888
The life of Franklin Pierce. Losing most of your kids, watching one get crushed/beheaded in front of you on the way to your inauguration, having a depressed wife, becoming an alcoholic and going down as one of the worst Presidents in history living the rest of your days as a bitter CSA supporter is pretty fucking sad.

Garfield's death always gets to me. So much potential to be a great President. One of the most well known politicians of his day, was inspiring positive feelings regarding the Presidency and it was all taken from him by a lunatic. He died being assured that history would remember his name. He became merely a piece of trivia.
>>
>>2007022
Also taking the head of one of Marie Antoinette's best friends and parading it in front of her cell, goading her to kiss it because of the rumor that the two of them were lesbian lovers.

Fuck the Jacobins.
>>
>>2007903
Is the "feels" in this one supposed to joyous? Considering what absolute dog shit the Serbian people were during the early 1900s they deserve it.
>>
>>2011737
I know your snide statement is meant just to stir shit up but fuck it.

Even if the Serbian people had some sort of comeuppance due, by your standards, from whatever misguided sense of poetic justice you're trying to prescribe here, there were still thousands of innocents and bystanders killed by outside forces. What of the child of a soldier who only know that he's been told his father loved him and was fighting for him? Did he deserve death? What about those who knew nothing more than that it was "us versus them" and did not have access to a clear view of events? Hell, what about those who did, but fought anyway because their immediate interest in the fates of their wives and daughters took precedence?

Fuck war and its consequences. It forces punishment based on good and evil onto people who are neither. I can agree that on a state level there are belligerents and non-belligerents but the fact that people's individual lives can be annihilated by this abstraction is a travesty.
>>
>>2008457
>>2008432
ww2 was the war for as dan carlin put it "logical insanity". no matter your opinion, the senseless bombings and mass killings were terribly horrifying
>>
File: lonely world.jpg (33KB, 400x400px)
lonely world.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>>2011969
this
>>
File: ducreux.jpg (16KB, 321x450px)
ducreux.jpg
16KB, 321x450px
>>2008168
even his portrait is cheeky
>>
>>2011969
The same thing could be said of all wars.
Which you did. But didnt serbia pretty much start both world wars?
Couldnt they just be niggers like rest of balkan, instead they went full nigger and got buttfucked, it wasnt long ago they did exactly the samething and fucked up....
>>
>>2011990
I'm seriously trying to respond but your word choice betrays so many levels of misapprehension it makes me uneasy.

If I had to boil this down to a point you could somehow digest: war is a tragedy. War is declared by the state, against another state, laying the lives of individuals down as poker chips. If you want to view Serbia as an aggressor and a problem, that's fine; it's not falsifiable, let alone incorrect. But that doesn't mean that a mass death of Serbians is not tragic, on any level. You can always argue that the state deserved to lose, but never that the citizens deserved to suffer and die. Hence, "fuck war," it uses individuals as a commodity for entities to gamble for positive results.
>>
>>2008770
You're honestly scum. Can't feel for your own human brethren; people who have loved and lost but you feel for a damn dumb dog that can't stop sniffing the piss off a lamppost. If you were alive 150 years ago you would've been executed in the street.
>>
>>2007057
I don't know why but I really feel absolutely nothing towards the suffering of the Japanese during WW2. My family has always had at least one person in the Marines since 1912 so when the Pacific campaign started there were five in the Corps. Four died and only my great uncle survived and went to fight in Korea later. While nuclear weapons are terrible, the atrocities that would have come from an invasion would have been much worse. They deserved everything they got for what they did and how they fought.
>>
>>2009525
Holy shit. Can't blame him though.
>>
>>2008631
damn
>>
>>2006754
the babies were already dead when this happened. not like that makes it much better.
>>
>>2011970
been studying this as of late, the brutality of the Pacific War increased with such severity that the firebombing of cities had made the atomic bombs look reasonable.

anyway downfall would have been much, much worse.
>>
>>2007022
>>2011722
wtf i love absolute monarchy now
>>
>>2011983
That's Joseph Ducreux; different guy
His picture comes up with Dexter for some reason
>>
File: Qk8N5vj.jpg (8KB, 235x215px)
Qk8N5vj.jpg
8KB, 235x215px
>>2004278
>This kills the man
>>
>>2011722
Thankfully, Marie Antoinette never saw the head, although it didn't spare her the pain of knowing her friend was brutally murdered.

They were parading the head inside the Temple complex, and wanted to bring it inside the tower itself, but were refused entry by a guard who was smart enough to realize letting a mob of people who just murdered a woman and were dragging her body parts around wouldn't have ended well, so he tied his tricolour scarf to the gate and said anyone who broke the entryway would be defiling a symbol of the nation.

From Marie Antoinette's daughter's memoir:

>The municipal guard in the room behaved well; he closed the door and window, also the curtains, so that they might see nothing. The workmen at the Temple and the jailer Rocher joined the murderers, which increased the noise. Several officers of the National Guard and some municipals arrived; the first desired that my father should show himself at the window. The municipals fortunately opposed this; but my father, having asked what was happening, a young officer replied: "Well, if you want to know, it is the head of Mme. de Lamballe they wish to show you." My mother was seized with horror; that was the sole moment when her firmness abandoned her. The municipals scolded the officer, but my father, with his usual kindness, excused him, saying it was not the officer's fault, but his own for having questioned him.

The narrative of the guard at the gate to the complex

>Two men were dragging by the legs a naked, headless trunk slit open to the breast, its back to the ground. ... At my right, on the end of a pike, was ahead which at the gesticulations of the bearer often touched my face. At my left another fiend, more horrible still, was holding in one hand pressed against me the entrails of the victim, and in the other a huge knife. Behind these a great coal-heaver was waving, suspended from a pike above my forehead, the fragment of a chemise soaked in blood and slime.
>>
>>2013240
What the hell was wrong with them?
>>
>>2012519
>They deserved everything they got for what they did and how they fought.

What a disgusting comment. No, civilians who had no part in declaring or fighting a war did not deserve "everything they got," because they did not do anything.
>>
>>2013260
The September Massacres were a period of hysterical mob violence perpetuated by the fear that the European powers were going to invade Paris and slaughter "republicans" who resisted the return to the monarchy, so the response was to kill prisoners who were the "enemy" so that they could not help the invading powers. In all about 1,400 people--mostly priests who had refused to swear the Oath to the State and were imprisoned for it--were slaughtered.
>>
File: 12852-004-FD866C4A.jpg (18KB, 210x300px) Image search: [Google]
12852-004-FD866C4A.jpg
18KB, 210x300px
>>2003888
Claudius, the fourth roman emperor.

>be claudius
>be baby
>dad dies
>have speech impediment and a limp
>grow up considered a runt, not even mom likes you
>augustus knows you're really not stupid, and tells you to keep your head low
>only have three friends, germanicus, postumus, and herod agripa
>germanicus dies, might have been grandma livia's doing
>augustus dies
>uncle tiberius, that brute, takes power
>sejanus is actually the one with power
>he starts fucking your sister
>postumus is exiled and killed
>castor, your brother in law, is actually a decent person
>he dies too
>mom starves your sister
>she fuckin' deserved it
>tiberius and sejanus die, caligula, your nephew, is now emperor.
>guy's an absolute madman
>he thinks he's jove
>he may have killed your brother, but appoints you as advisor
>marries you to history's biggest slut
>still a qt, though
>mom kills herself
>caligula is assassinated by some fellows in the praetorian guard
>all this time you've been chilling, not interfering a bit with all this shit
>praetorian guard make you emperor, even though you are a republican
>discover your wife's infidelities
>kill that fucking cumslut
>turn into a bitter old man
>herod agripa dies
>for the first time you're completely alone in this dog-eat-dog world
>marry your niece, just for convinience
>she's always plotting something devious, just like grandma livia
>have to stand your niece-wife's son, nero
>most disgusting man to walk on jove's green earth
>he seduces your daughter, somehow
>all this time you've been keeping a record of all of this shit
>finally die poisoned by your niece-wife
>she burn your manuscripts
>being a sly fox, you hid an extra copy underground just in case
>laugh bittersweetly from the afterlife

He even looks kinda like wojak
>>
Ctrl+ F
>No Rommel

Rommel wanted to restore his homeland to the glory of pre WWI Germany. He actually disagreed with Hitler, attempted to kill him, and was forced to commit suicide rather than have him and his family murdered. In addition to all this he was known as a honorable opponent as well as cunning on the battlefield. Also he wasn't anti-Semitic and protected the Jews in North Africa.

GHOST DIVISION
>>
>>2008770
It's not uncommon for sociopaths to prefer animals to people.
>>
File: pound.jpg (108KB, 1200x694px)
pound.jpg
108KB, 1200x694px
>>2006739
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jax6t9TBxw

Reminded me of this.
>>
>>2013663
Rommel is a good choice, but history has still given him a genrally noble depiction so in a way he has been redeemed.

I've been reading about Mark Anthony, and while he was certainly a power hungry POS, his final day where he, after being utterly crushed and defeated, stabbed himself with his sword then crawled over to die in Cleopatra's arms got to me. Octavian then slaying Caesar's (alleged) son who hadn't really done anything wrong was also pretty rough.
>>
>>2010687
Is there a worse aged musician?
>>
>>2011970
IIRC a major part of why strategic bombing was so senseless was simply lack of knowledge regarding the German economy. If the oil industry had been targeted from day one things would have gone massively better, but there was a lot of confusion regarding the weak points of German industry.
>>
File: feels train.jpg (74KB, 720x720px)
feels train.jpg
74KB, 720x720px
>>2007022
>>
>>2013521
How much of that actually happened VS being from I, Claudius?
>>
>>2004093
>You still don't really want you, but your brother and the other royals pressure you into doing so
Incorrect, in fact Franz begged him to stay but court politics forced him there
>>
>>2014306
Mate. According to Suetonius (which makes some of it dubious at best) at least 95% of that actually happened.
>>
>>2010687
Who dat?
>>
>>2012519
Citizens of a nation you are fighting are innocents you fucking barbarian, they never fired a shot, they never called for the war, they didn't enlist, at best they produced the arms which their nations fighters used, and if you're going with thta link then fuck it, might as well fight economic partners of your enemy.
>>
>>2003888
Tsar Nicholas II.

He was a honest, passionate, caring man with beautiful children, but he was never a good tsar. He was unprepared and awkward, not knowing what to do or how to act. Destroyed by rumors and slander. Killed with his whole family by revolutionaries.
>>
>>2003888
Wilfred Owen was a war poet in world war one, he died one week before the armistice, by the time his mother had recieved the message he was KIA church bells were ringing out in celebration of the peace.
>>
>>2014545
At least he got the relatively easy death (immediate, that is) compared to his children, who had to be shot multiple times, and stabbed with bayonets

From one of the killers:

>The shooting was complete chaos. Vyrubova [sic] tried to protect herself with the pillows. After the first shots, I saw Alexei frozen in his chair, and his ashen face was covered with his father's blood as he sat there, unmoving in terror. One of the younger daughters died when she was shot in the back. Comrade Ermakov finished off a daughter by stabbing her in the chest over and over, and I remember Comrade Yurovsky shooting Tatiana in front of me; her head seemed to explode in a shower of blood and brains. The scene was sickening: the room was chaos, with blood and body fluids and brains all over the floor, and several comrades got sick at the sight.

And two daughters even survived that, according to information taken from accounts finally unsealed in the last decade or so:

>But Anastasia was still alive, and Marie, too, for as their bodies were carried to a Fiat truck that stood waiting in the courtyard, first one, then the other, suddenly sat up, coughing blood, moaning, screaming. They were outside now, and the men couldn’t shoot them; the bayonets came out, slashing through the air, but the knives struck the hidden jewels. And so someone grabbed a rifle, turned it around, and hammered away at the barely conscious faces, driving the wooden stock down again and again and again. Battered into silence, choking on splintered bone and shattered teeth, drowning in her own blood - this was how Anastasia died.
>>
File: Tsar_Nicholas_II.jpg (60KB, 564x545px)
Tsar_Nicholas_II.jpg
60KB, 564x545px
>>2014601
I am all too familiar with their execution. It makes it all the more sad.
>her head seemed to explode in a shower of blood and brains
>Battered into silence, choking on splintered bone and shattered teeth, drowning in her own blood

It is sad that this happened to them. That this happened to those who Nicholas loved most.
>>
File: Saint_Nick.jpg (53KB, 564x552px)
Saint_Nick.jpg
53KB, 564x552px
>>2014601
>>2014728
At least he got one last flight
>>
File: feelbadinc.jpg (214KB, 680x526px) Image search: [Google]
feelbadinc.jpg
214KB, 680x526px
>>2006830
>>
Dont have time to write about it, but everyrhing revolving with Andrew Jackson and his wife.
How for the 8 years after his presidency unti lhis death, he would walk to see his wifes grave every single day. At the time he was expected to die like the first year of his presidency, and also he was riddled with diseases and in constant extreme pain. He pulled through all of it everyday so he could visit her grave
>>
>>2006753
>My ancestors are smiling at me imperial, can you say the same?
>>
File: dsfde.jpg (152KB, 747x599px)
dsfde.jpg
152KB, 747x599px
>>2013312
>those priests embracing before they're slaughtered on the right
>>
>>2013663
>Also he wasn't anti-Semitic and protected the Jews in North Africa.
He wouldn't have slaugthered them himself, but from what scraps I remember, there was an Einstazgruppen gearing up within his reserves in 1942, readying themselves to exterminate the jews of Cairo.

Rommel certainly would've never acquiseced to their murders, but he would've been powerless to refrain them.

And though he disagreed with Hitler, don't forget that in the years before Hitler's insanity dawned on him, Rommel never was troubled by letting himself because a favorite of Hitler, with flatteries and other such things. Why else would you wager he was made Marshal in his 40s?

>cunning on the battlefield
Brillant in France, but unfortunately that was only occasion in which disobeying orders became an unexpected boost to the German army. In any other front, Rommel sadly sank into arrogance, to which Hitler's fawning must've contributed, and he repudiated orders, trying to capture Egypt in a time when he had neither the manpower, the CAS, nor the supplies.
An awesome tactician but not so much a strategist.

God I realize it now seems that I hate Rommel. I don't hate him, but I don't think he's really deserving of bearing the trait of "le so epic general that defied Hitler" when half the war was him telling Hitler what Hitler had sought to hear: "lol I promise I'll capture Egypt, of course man", and playing the political game to its finest degree.
>>
File: ww2_106.sized.jpg (95KB, 518x640px) Image search: [Google]
ww2_106.sized.jpg
95KB, 518x640px
>>
File: sullivan-ballou.jpg (17KB, 250x344px) Image search: [Google]
sullivan-ballou.jpg
17KB, 250x344px
July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure—and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine O God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows—when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children—is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country.
>>
>>2015061
Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar—that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the brightest day and in the darkest night—amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours—always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for me, for we shall meet again.
>>
>>2015066
As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue-eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters. Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.

- Sullivan
>>
>>2015068
fuck.
>>
>>2009796
The dude initiated martial law and gave command to Ayub Khan who in turn ousted him and started the whole military controlling pakistan bullshit that is still on going.
>>
>>2013260
They were starving while she pretended to be a milkmaid using golden buckets and silken "peasant" garbs.

She was related to the leader of the country they were enemies of.

She was also just kind of unlikable from what we've read.

Not that that in any way justifies what happened, but it is what it is.
>>
>>2015001
They shouldn't have diddled nazis
>>
File: Marie_Antoinette_in_Muslin_dress.jpg (307KB, 788x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Marie_Antoinette_in_Muslin_dress.jpg
307KB, 788x1024px
>>2015201
>They were starving while she pretended to be a milkmaid using golden buckets and silken "peasant" garbs.

She never pretended to be a milkmaid using golden buckets and silk "peasant" garbs. She, like many other aristocrats of the time period, had a country-style retreat which let her relax and get away from the atmopshere of Versailles. The country estate had a working dairy, which she used to feed her family as well as the people living and working on her estate, as well as the poor in the town of Versailles. She never pretended to be a milkmaid there. The only time she pretended to be one was when she was acting in her theater in popular operas of the day.

She didn't wear silken "peasant" garb, she wore muslin dresses (which was cheaper than silk, but this caused controversy because French queens were supposed to wear expensive silks, and her wearing and promoting cheap muslin caused silk factories to lose some profits).

The style was not "peasant" but was simple and inspired by English fashions. The reason her simple fashions were controversial and disliked by the public--well, mostly by men, women latched onto the style quickly--was because queens were symbols of the French monarchy and were supposed to be decked out to showcase their status. When this portrait showed up in the salon, people were scandalized because the dress was so simple it looked like undergarments. It had to be taken down.

The style also was associated with her private estate, which was controversial because Louis XVI allowed her to be in control of it. No one could visit the estate without her permission, and the events and gatherings she held there were also invitation only. In France, royalty was supposed to belong to the public, which is why the public was allowed and felt entitled to go into the palace and see them eat, play cards, etc. So for a queen to be given any sort of private space was considered suspicious and foreign.
>>
>>2015365
>>2015001
The women who were targeted after France was liberated were not always Nazi diddlers, willing or otherwise. Many of the women who were targeted were women who benefited in some way from the Nazi regime (whether they deliberately sought out these benefits for themselves or their families, or were forced into a position) and were attacked because people were resentful that they didn't do without as much as their neighbors. For example, one woman who was targeted just happened to be selected among others from a cleaning service to work as a maid in a house appropriated by Nazi officers--this meant she had a steady job and she was given free lunch and food to take home, which included rarities like real cream, while her neighbors (especially later in the war) did without.
>>
File: ww1 jonch.jpg (449KB, 593x1610px) Image search: [Google]
ww1 jonch.jpg
449KB, 593x1610px
Well, at least they're remembered....
>>
>>2015559
They should've chose death, but you can't expect women to take the noble path.
>>
>>2007022
>baguettes
>human
>>
>>2015642
This board is full of sympathy for the frogs.
>>
>>2015578
Maybe you should choose that courageous path for yourself ;)
>>
>>2006830
Sad stories involving men at war in general make me break down like a child.

Dead animals, dead regular people, dead children: none of those phase me for some reason, but stories of soldiers and their tragedies hit me fucking hard.
>>
File: 0fa.jpg (337KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
0fa.jpg
337KB, 3264x2448px
>>2003888
I remember reading a book about Stalingrad, that mentioned a German that was wounded during the battle before the German surrender:

How it went was that he was wounded in battle, and while he was in hospital he wasn't responsive to nurses or doctors, simply repeating over and over to himself "Andre, hold out, I'm coming for you."

He had obviously been wounded trying to retrieve a wounded comrade, and while he was able to be reached, Andre had gotten left behind.

Shit like that fucking wrecks me.
>>
>>2011969
I truly don't care. The Serbs, just a few years earlier, made it a point to genocide Albanians wherever they went during the Balkan Wars. They were a state run on the concept of "MUH GREATER SERBIA" and ran by a terrorist cabal propped up by Russian pan-Slavists and French loans. The actions of said terrorist group caused a continental crisis. The state's attempts to stonewall any investigation pissed off Austria-Hungary leading the ultimatum and, ultimately, the biggest disaster of the 20th century, the miserable effects of which echo on into the present day.

Maybe on an individual level Serbian citizens didn't deserve what happened but citizens pay for the state's actions and the Serbian state post-Obrenovic assassination is one of the most loathesome non-Nazi entities to have existed.
>>
Well the Residential School system comes to mind, I mean godamn the church didn't even have to play shell games with rotating priests/nuns, they were able to do that shit with impunity.
>>
>>2015872
Same, I have no idea why.
>>
>>2016376
It used to make me wonder if I was some sort of sociopath, but seeing as how I can feel genuine guilt when I do wrong, that's ruled out.

Still don't understand why I'm this way.
>>
>>2014992
>God I realize it now seems that I hate Rommel
It seemed insightful to me. Seems worthwhile to point out the good and the bad, even for Nazis.
>>
>>2015551
>In France, royalty was supposed to belong to the public, which is why the public was allowed and felt entitled to go into the palace and see them eat, play cards, etc.
Can you expand upon that? So what, peasants and shit could just watch the royal family eat?
>>
They say Ratko Mladic, the Serbian general who committed war crimes against Bosnian Muslims, got like that because his young daughter committed suicide.
>>
File: 1473847816566.jpg (80KB, 620x464px) Image search: [Google]
1473847816566.jpg
80KB, 620x464px
>>
File: 1460919251901.jpg (69KB, 1024x130px)
1460919251901.jpg
69KB, 1024x130px
80 tried to take on the soviet horde
>>
File: 1480222966103.png (307KB, 441x395px)
1480222966103.png
307KB, 441x395px
>>2006757
>>
>>2008631
shit
>>
>>2006754
kek
>>
>>2011969
There's no such thing as innocence, only varying degrees of guilt:^)
>>
I capped this from a famous last words thread here on /his/ made me feeeel
>>
>>2017021
If you go any further, there is no such thing as natural innocence. Everyone who knows children knows, that they have to be taught innocence. A child is the most egoistically cruel person you can imagine. They don't know what's good or bad, they usually are out for their own sake. They have to be taught at an early age, that sharing is good, treating people nicely is good, that not always speaking whats on your mind when it hurts others is good etc.
>>
File: (4).png (136KB, 640x480px)
(4).png
136KB, 640x480px
>>2017042
>this will be you
>this will be me
>>
File: 1469781156216.png (961KB, 1182x1370px) Image search: [Google]
1469781156216.png
961KB, 1182x1370px
>>2017049
I know my man, I know
This is now a bawww thread
>>
>>2017049
If only. Some of us weren't lucky enough to be born in a country that doles out NEETbux like candy and actually have to work.
>>
Cicero's Exile to Greece has always hit me, he was at the peak of his influence and cruelly thrown down by a former friend and abandoned by all those he called friends.
>>
>>2006807

i thought medieval diets were shit, how would women be able to carry men like that my gf can barely lift the bar let alone a grown man
>>
File: 1412639946801.gif (977KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1412639946801.gif
977KB, 480x270px
>>2017063
>I who lie here, sweet Ovid, poet of tender passions, fell victim to my own sharp wit.
>Passer-by, if you've ever been in love, don't begrudge me the traditional prayer: 'May Ovid's bones lie soft!'

Ovid was exiled to Tomis at the edge of the Roman world on the Scythian frontier and died there having never returned to Rome.
>>
>>2016275
>implying this was unique to the Residential Schools
>implying this wasn't how every orphanage functioned in the days before proper, government run inspections.
>>
>>2017082
peasants in the medieval period got a lot better nutrition than the average farm labourer in Roman times (depending on the exact time and place).

Plus, if medieval women were stunted, so were medieval men.
>>
File: 16695237_125498692630.jpg (14KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
16695237_125498692630.jpg
14KB, 267x400px
Captain Charlie May wrote in his diary on June 17, 1916

". . . I must not allow myself to dwell on the personal - there is no room for it here. Also it is demoralising. But I do not want to die. Not that I mind it for myself. If it be that I am to go, I am ready. But the thought that I may never see you or our darling baby again turns my bowels to water. I cannot think of it with even the semblance of equanimity.

My one consolation is the happiness that has been ours. Also my conscience is clear that I have always tried to make life a joy for you. I know at least that if I go you will not want. That is something. But it is the thought that we may be cut off from each other which is so terrible and that our Babe may grow up without my knowing her and without her knowing me. It is difficult to face. And I know your life without me would be a dull blank. Yet you must never let it become wholly so. For to you will be left the greatest charge in all the world; the upbringing of our baby. God bless that child, she is the hope of life to me.

My darling, au revoir. It may well be that you will only have to read these lines as ones of passing interest. On the other hand, they may well be my last message to you. If they are, know through all your life that I loved you and baby with all my heart and soul, that you two sweet things were just all the world to me.

I pray God I may do my duty, for I know, whatever that may entail, you would not have it otherwise."

Capt. Charlie May died on July 1, 1916. When I heard Dan Carlin read this on his podcast, I almost broke down in tears in the subway.
>>
>>2017292
fuck
>>
File: Maxy died like a bitch.jpg (38KB, 347x480px) Image search: [Google]
Maxy died like a bitch.jpg
38KB, 347x480px
>>2004093
>>2006247
he deserved it
>>
File: thewayout.jpg (179KB, 980x735px)
thewayout.jpg
179KB, 980x735px
>>2017292
Goddamn. That last line, fuck.
>>
>>2016601
Versailles had three classes of rooms: public rooms, rooms with rights of entry, and private rooms. Anyone who was admitted to the palace (the guideline was a vague "decently dressed," but market women, fishwives, people hawking stuff, etc, were admitted so it wasn't very strict) could go into the public rooms. Only people with rights of entry could go into rooms with rights of entry--meaning you had to have a certain rank and position, although who could enter differed depending on what was happening in them. (For instance the queen's dressing ceremony in her grand bedroom required certain rights of entry, whereas the birth of the queen's children in her grand bedroom had much broader rights of entry) And private rooms could only be entered by the royalty and who they chose to allow with them.

Royalty had to dine at least once a day in one of the public rooms, and anyone who was admitted to the palace could go watch them. The meals were designed to be spectacles/entertainment, showing off the royalty to the public.

From a courtier's memoir:

>At the dinner-hour there were none to be met upon the stairs but honest folks, who, after having seen the Dauphiness take her soup, went to see the Princes eat their ‘bouilli’, and then ran themselves out of breath to behold Mesdames at their dessert.

Marie Antoinette's unpopularity actually started at the court with people who were threatened by her (her brother-in-law, the comte de Provence--next in line after her children--was behind much of the early slanderous pamphlets printed about her) and people who felt snubbed because as queen, she gradually reduced the strictness of court etiquette and was also allowed by the King to have more private spaces than was considered normal for a queen in France.
>>
I have a book of last letters written by people guillotined during the French Revolution that is basically all feels

>These are the last letters that my hand will trace. In a few hours I shall be no more. I am condemned to death. My wife, whom I have always lovingly cherished, I die full of love for you. I do not ask you to remember me; I know your fine soul, your loving heart, no, you will never forget me. But go on living for our poor children. Remember me to them. May I serve as an example to them, may they be better than I. Raise them in the practice of the virtues. My property has been confiscated; there was so little that it will be no great loss to them. Raise them in the love of work. Lavish upon them all the love that you had for me. Farewell, a thousand times farewell. Wipe away your tears and concern yourself only with our children.
>>
File: Fritz_Haber.png (81KB, 280x396px) Image search: [Google]
Fritz_Haber.png
81KB, 280x396px
>Born into a German-Jewish family
>Develop artificial fertilizer that saved an incredible amount of lifes from starvation
>Want to assimilate to German society as much as possible
>Convert to Christianity
>War breaks out
>Desperately want to make your contribution to the German war effort to show that you are not a "jewish scumbag".
>Develop toxic gas to be used against Germany's enemies
>Wife is a pacifist, becomes depressed from your contribution to the death of millions
>Kills herself in front of family, her corpse is found by your young son
>Decide to continue with your collaboration with the war
>Hated by pretty much everyone as the Germans had experienced casualties by gas as well.
>Nazis come to power
>Presume that it's okay as you are not really a jew but a proud German (with jewish blood)
>Nope, you're just an Untermensch better start packing or we're gonna gas you
>Die alone in excile and in poor health
He just wanted to be accepted
>>
File: Cheerio.jpg (87KB, 500x753px)
Cheerio.jpg
87KB, 500x753px
When I was 17 years old, I visited Ypres and its many graveyards. I remember this particular grave, the quote was from a letter he had sent just before he died to his mother.

He was 22 years old.
>>
>>2018308
I remember a website where I got to read to last letters of the two first men killed on the Western Front to their parents (they both were 22 too)

Can't find it so I can't quote the exact thing, but the Frenchman was recounting a trivial story about one of his comrade being sent by the commanding officer to fetch high quality coffee in Switzerland dozens of kms away, while the German was almost autistically talking about the war preparations and how enthusiastic he was about it

Then the Frenchman ended it with something like "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see again soon" while the German finished his letter with something like "Maybe when you'll receive this letter I'll be somewhere from where no one comes back"
Turns out the autistic kraut was in the right, and the frog wasnt
>>
>>2018308
Nice catch, never payed to much attention to the epithaphs. As It would mostly just say Rest in Peace, Be with God or be blank. Or so I thought anyway.
Also I was too buzy collecting all the regimental caps on the grave stones. Got to catch 'em all.
>>
>>2008808

>bruh it's ok let them fly their north viet/NK/russian/syrian flag
>bruh wut r u doing flying that rebel flag u asshurt loser

You, right now.
>>
File: 1453399508917.jpg (541KB, 1894x1636px) Image search: [Google]
1453399508917.jpg
541KB, 1894x1636px
>>2008770
to refuse to feel is the easiest way for a coward to live
>>
File: 1458430927087.jpg (79KB, 700x659px)
1458430927087.jpg
79KB, 700x659px
>>2015872
>Dead animals
for some reason the death of animals and heroes is what gets me the most... and when they're both it's even worse.

>link very related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moustache_(dog)
>hit with swords, bullets and cannonballs
>spotted spies
>helped the best army during several campaigns
>ends up being dug up once dead by the spanish inquisition in order to avoid making him a legend and a hero
>>
>>2008360
>hans jerrykraut>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eternal anglo>>>the frogs
>>
>>2007745
God I love the history of Constantinople. You should read 1453.
>>
File: le bj.jpg (28KB, 320x464px) Image search: [Google]
le bj.jpg
28KB, 320x464px
Forty years ago this month, Lyndon Johnson was agonized to know that Americans thought of him as the architect not of equal rights and Medicare but the hated Vietnam War. Feeling like an unappreciated outcast, the ex-president, often depressed, repeatedly listened to Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” It sounds incredible that LBJ should be attracted to that anthem by the passionately antiwar singers, until you remember the lyrics: “When you’re weary, feeling small, when tears are in your eyes… And friends just can’t be found…”

Johnson had suffered three major heart attacks and knew he did not have long to live. He incessantly recalled that Johnson men died before reaching 65 years old, and he was 64.
>>
>>2015061
>>2015066
>>2015068
That was beautiful. Thanks anon
>>
>>2019117
>After the allied victory over the French in the Peninsular War, it is alleged that the Spanish destroyed his gravestone and the Inquisition ordered his bones to be dug up and burned

I was "this cant be true" until I got to this part. Now I feel like most of this story could be possible

Based Moustache ;_;
>>
File: 1476862276800.jpg (89KB, 564x737px) Image search: [Google]
1476862276800.jpg
89KB, 564x737px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_Madonna

>I wondered for a long while what I should paint, and in the end I decided on a Madonna, or mother and child. I have turned my hole in the frozen mud into a studio. The space is too small for me to be able to see the picture properly, so I climb on to a stool and look down at it from above, to get the perspective right. Everything is repeatedly knocked over, and my pencils vanish into the mud. There is nothing to lean my big picture of the madonna against, except a sloping, home-made table past which I can just manage to squeeze. There are no proper materials and I have used a Russian map for paper. But I wish I could tell you how absorbed I have been painting my madonna, and how much it means to me."
"The picture looks like this: the mother's head and the child's lean toward each other, and a large cloak enfolds them both. It is intended to symbolize 'security' and 'mother love.' I remembered the words of St.John: light, life, and love. What more can I add? I wanted to suggest these three things in the homely and common vision of a mother with her child and the security that they represent.[2]

>He added that he:
went to all the bunkers, brought my drawing to the men, and chatted with them. How they sat there! Like being in their dear homes with mother for the holiday.[2]
Later, Reuber hung the drawing in his bunker for his unit celebration, which he described as a moment of Christian devotion shared by all the soldiers in his command.
When according to ancient custom I opened the Christmas door, the slatted door of our bunker, and the comrades went in, they stood as if entranced, devout and too moved to speak in front of the picture on the clay wall...The entire celebration took place under the influence of the picture, and they thoughtfully read the words: light, life, love...Whether commander or simple soldier, the Madonna was always an object of outward and inward contemplation.[3]
>>
File: 1479869300877.jpg (156KB, 985x529px)
1479869300877.jpg
156KB, 985x529px
>>2019335
>The Madonna was flown out of Stalingrad by Dr Wilhelm Grosse,his battalion commander of the 16th Panzer division on the last transport plane to leave the encircled German 6th Army.[1] Reuber was taken captive after the surrender of the 6th Army, and died in a Soviet prisoner of war camp in 1944.[2] The Madonna and a number of letters from Reuber were delivered to his family. There they remained, until German federal president Karl Carstens encouraged Reuber's surviving children to donate the work to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin. Springer, Reuber's three children and Prince Louis Ferdinand (in his role as chair of the Memorial Church board of trustees) attended the dedication ceremony in August 1983.[4]
>>
File: 1476841721445.jpg (98KB, 530x720px)
1476841721445.jpg
98KB, 530x720px
>>2019347
>Reuber painted a second similar picture in captivity around Christmas 1943. He was by this time in a prisoner of war camp in Yelabuga, some 1,000 kilometres north-east of Stalingrad, and the painting was made for the prisoners' newspaper. He titled it 'The Prisoners' Madonna'. Reuber did not live to see another Christmas, dying of illness a few weeks later on 20 January 1944.[7]
>>
>>2003888

Montaigne's essay on friendship, especially his relationship to Étienne de la Boétie.
>>
>>2017292
Poor guy
>>
File: 1476841721434.jpg (104KB, 800x546px)
1476841721434.jpg
104KB, 800x546px
>>2015559
>which included rarities like real cream
Hehehehe...
>>
>>2013663
>He actually disagreed with Hitler, attempted to kill him
He had nothing to do with the attempts against Hitler's life.
>>
>>2005722
wait i just read a piece where someone said that he was not gay.. what
>>
>>2008770
>>2012042
>>2013702
>>2019046
fucking faggots, probably some muslim filth. A dog is worth more then any stranger, i would sooner save my dog then a baby in a fire, not feeling anything about the death of strangers is completly normal
>>
>>2019046
Not him, but could I be doing this involuntarily?

I know of exactly two things that make me really feel, and whenever someone's talk in about something that would typically be sad, or even when I personally am going through something, it's like my brain flips a switch to completely numb me.

It's not that I want this to happen, it just does.
>>
>>2019117
For me, I think the reason I hate seeing young kids and animals dying more than anything is because I know they haven't done anything morally wrong, ever.
>>
>>2017202
You got a source on that my good anon, my desire to know more intensifies.
>>
File: Wirz-stamping.jpg (126KB, 447x344px) Image search: [Google]
Wirz-stamping.jpg
126KB, 447x344px
>>2008479

1. It's a painting depicting Jackson in 1863 just prior to Chancellorsville (it's based off a scene in Gods and Generals)

2. The Union and every last fucking Unionist like you deserves to die.

Davis should've taken the leash off Wirz and let him finish the job.

The more dead Northerners the better.
>>
File: 6257_4-5_1.jpg (78KB, 600x600px)
6257_4-5_1.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>Acre 1291
>the siege has been going on for some time
>the saracens eventually break through
>hearing of this turn of events, the master of the Templars Guillaume de Beaujeu rushes out with his guard without sparing a second to put on more armor
>he joins with the hospitallers along the way for a final defence against the saracens
>while in the thick of it he gets a javelin though his armpit
>he is carried off by his men as they cry out saying all is lost without him
>'Oh for god's sake, sir, don't leave!'
>'The city will fall at once!"
>he responds 'My lords I can do no more, for I am killed'
>his household supported him and took him away
>they struggle to find a place to put him and men drown attempting to put him onto a boat
>eventually placed in the temple where he does not utter a single word all day
>the saracens break through and there is a great commotion
>he weakly asks what is going on and is told that his men are fighting
>tells them to leave him in peace before finally passing, knowing for sure that Acre would fall

Acre is overwhelmed and destroyed, the inhabitants fled or massacred. Some are tricked into parlay before being beheaded
>>
>>2019924

>t. furry

In some places, dogs are a delicacy. And there's nothing you can ever do about that ever.
>>
>>2020127

>roleplaying as a dead loser general on a Cambodian finger painting board because you're still assblasted over a more than 150 year old war.

Enjoy your lower standards of living, you fucking redneck. Let us know if you want get uppity and we'll send another ginger to come down and tear ass through your shithole state and show you what your "heritage" is actually worth.
>>
>>2020274
Why not just let them secede this time? We'll all be better off.
>>
>>2012519
>i dont feel bad about war barbecue my family was affected by war

ok kid
>>
>>2020274

>yes, the northern cucks with all their guns owning civilians and factories and military famil.....wait a sec.....

The Union army of 2016 would consist of faggots, anti-gun pussies, Hillary voters, dindus, and feminists armed with dragon dildos and 19 kinds of stds.
>>
>>2014992
Rommel was never given the adequate supplies needed. He was not given fresh tanks and was using pz.III's well into the war.

You should look up how Rommel came across an abandoned allied hospital and went back for medical supplies and treated their wounds. Rommel paid his POW's and treated them like his own men. He'd rather than lose a battle than a fellow soldier. Remember that his men have written memoirs that they wouldnt have served Rommel to the grave and they would have easily died for him.
>>
>>2003888
Robert Ewart, one of the 'Cockleshell Heroes' (who had just turned 21 a few days before his death), wrote a letter to his girlfriend just before embarking on a mission he knew he would most likely not survive.

>“Dear Heather, I trust it won’t be necessary to have this sent to you but since I don’t know the outcome of this little adventure, I thought I’d leave this note behind. I couldn’t help but love you Heather, although you were so young. I will always love you, as I know you do me. That alone should let me through this, but one never knows the turns of fate. One thing I ask of you, Heather, is not to take it too hard. You have yet your life to live. Think of me as a good friend and keep your chin up. Some lucky fellow will find you who has more sense than I had and who can get you what you deserve. You are young yet for this sort of thing but I had to do it, so please don’t worry and upset yourself about me. With your picture in front of me I feel confident that I shall pull through and get back to you some day. I won’t have you read more, Heather, but I will thank you for all you have done. I pray that God will spare me and save you from this misery, so hoping for a speedy reunion. I’ll say cheerio and God be with you. Thanking you and your mother from the bottom of my heart. God bless and keep you all. Yours for ever, Bob, chin up Sweetheart.”

He was captured by the Germans and was comforted by his sergeant as they were driven to the firing squad. Heather ( who never found out the exact circumstances of his death), contracted tuberculosis and upon receiving news of Robert's death she died heartbroken at the age of 17, having apparently lost the will to live.
>>
>>2019937
toddlers to the age of - let's say- 2 or 3 might not have done nothing morally wrong, but past that time kids know the difference between "good" and "evil" and often practice evil actions while knowing they're harming others
children can be cruel as fuck and be the worst kind of human beings if necessary
>>
Polish children, slaughtered by the brave insurgents of Ukraine in the 1940's. The tortures that ukrainians managed to come up with for children and pregnant women were described as horrifying, and it was "hard to imagine that a human being could be behind such horror". Wołyń / Volhynia Massacre.
>>
File: B0VRCKlCIAAiu0P.jpg (39KB, 500x479px)
B0VRCKlCIAAiu0P.jpg
39KB, 500x479px
>>2020378
>>
>>2019924
Literal serial-killer mentality.
>>
>>2005722
Frederick was truly great, that's very sad.
>>
This is a wonderful thread. Thank you all so very much for your posts.
>>
>>2006766
This is staged btw
>>
>>2007745
It makes me so angry that Constantinople fell. Like ok Turks I get it conquer all the land you want but just leave this one city that has so much history and learning and culture arrgghh
>>
>>2020370
Oh i know. I've seen kids do things seemingly just for the sake of evil. That's why I specified young kids.
>>
on the back of a picture taken from the possessions of my grandfather's best friend when they got drafted in the Dominican civil war.

The friend died fighting. The picture was to his fiancee

>"Andrea, as a soldier, I will take care of your heart."
>>
>After a victory against the Austrians in 1796, Napoleon had walked onto the battlefield, which was still covered with the bodies of men who were dead or dying,

>“In the deep silence of a beautiful moonlit night, a dog, leaping suddenly from beneath the clothes of his dead master rushed upon us and then immediately returned to his hiding-place, howling piteously. He alternately licked his master’s hand, and again flew at us, as if at once soliciting aid and seeking revenge. Whether owing to my own particular turn of mind at that moment, the time, the place, or the action itself, I know not, but certainly no incident on any field of battle ever produced so deep an impression on me. This man, thought I, perhaps has friends in the camp or in his company, and here he lies, forsaken by all except his dog.”
>>
>>2018160
This one is kind of entertaining in a different way. Written to a man who denounced him for complaining about the violence in Paris in his letters.

>I take my eternal farewell of you, villain. I don't know whether you did it on purpose. Though I knew you were a scoundrel, I cannot bring myself to believe that you are also a wicked villain. All I can say that it is the letters I wrote to you that have brought me to the scaffold. If it was not wickedness, your turn will come soon enough.
>>
>>2020329
>Rommel paid his POW's
How cucked can you get?
>>
>>2008299
>He lived on for four more years, spending his days in his palace gardens. He saw his tetrarchic system fail, torn by the selfish ambitions of his successors. He heard of Maximian's third claim to the throne, his forced suicide, his damnatio memoriae. In his own palace, statues and portraits of his former companion emperor were torn down and destroyed. Deep in despair and illness, Diocletian may have committed suicide. He died on 3 December 312.

Being sane and level-headed in the late Empire must have been personal hell.
>>
>>2020944
Wow, that's a powerful treasure. Keep that safe.
>>
>>2014918
kek
>>
>>2003888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac
>>
What about this page of history...is it to be infighting and chaos. Or do we stand up to tyranny as the revolutionaries of the late 18th century did....remember that history is not over yet please
>>
>>2010414
you had me for a second
>>
Not trying to have you...but since you said so...can i sell you some oceanfront real estate in Montana?
>>
>>2013312
>the "fear" that the European powers were going to invade Paris
>implying there weren't going to
>what is the Brunswick Manifesto
fucking royalist scum yet again
>>
The story of Napoleon II "the Eaglet" is also a tragic one. After his father's deposition he was admitted at the court of his grandfather the emperor of Austria, but was bullied by Metternich who couldn't stand him (Because being the son of Napoleon he was an obstacle to the "perfect world" of the eternal Kraut. While Metternich obviously couldn't kill him, bad treatment and constant restrictions lead to him contracting a pneumonia at the age of 21. Upon his tragic death he said bitterly : "My birth and death, that is my whole story. Between my cradle and my grave there is a great zero" for he never could have honored his father's legacy.
>>
Louis-Napoléon, son of Napoleon III :
1/2
In 1879, at the age of 23, the Prince insistently demanded his incorporation into the British troops of Southern Africa. If he wants to participate with his comrades in Woolwich in the fight against the Zulus, it is because he remembers that he is Bonaparte: "When one belongs to a race of soldiers," he wrote, It is only by iron that one makes oneself known ". Since the death of his father, he wishes to serve his country. Shortly before he left for South Africa, he replied to his mother, who begged him to renounce his plan: "When I have shown that I know how to expose my life to a country that is not mine, We shall no longer doubt that I know how to risk it even better for my country. "
>>
>>2022326
2/2

Death of the Imperial Prince, by Paul Jamin.

During a stop at the edge of a river, its patrol was surprised by the Zulu warriors. A shootout broke out and two British soldiers lost their lives. The troop fled on horseback. The prince tries to regain his horse by running. But the strap of his saddle yields under his weight. Out of use, it was that of his father at the battle of Sedan; It had held to the use ... It falls violently. His right arm is trampled. He no longer has a pistol as a weapon, he can not handle with his left hand. He falls pierced with seventeen strokes of iklwa.

The warriors eviscerated and mutilated the bodies of the two soldiers who had died at the beginning of the attack, and spared the life of the prince, the only man who had fought. They contented themselves with undressing and taking his arms. The chief of the warriors orders that his gold chain, where two medals and a seal of cornaline hang, reminiscent of his grandmother, Queen Hortense, transmitted by his father. The Zulu warriors, who wear amulets around their necks, respected those of the prince. A few weeks later, the defeated Zulus will testify to the bravery of the deceased. "He looked like a lion," they said. "Why a lion?" "It is the most courageous animal we know!" ". As a tribute, they restored his personal belongings and his uniform.
>>
>>2022330
>>2022326
>>
Bumpo, excellent thread m8
>>
File: 1377540758227.gif (1MB, 360x203px)
1377540758227.gif
1MB, 360x203px
Battle of Cape Bon in 468, a massive naval expedition launched by the Eastern Roman Empire to retake Africa from the Germanic Vandals. It turned into a rout as the fleet was destroyed by fire ships and attacked.

>there were also some of the Romans who proved themselves brave men in this
struggle, and most of all Joannes, who was a general under Basiliscus and who had no share whatever in his treason. For a great throng having surrounded his ship, he stood on the deck, and turning from side to side kept killing very great numbers of the enemy from there, and when he perceived that the ship was being captured, he leaped with his whole equipment and arms from the deck into the sea. And though Gensen, the son of Gaiseric, entreated him earnestly not to do this, offering pledges and holding out promises of safety, he nevertheless threw himself into the
sea, crying this one phrase, that Joannes "would never come under the hands of dogs."
>>
"Sofer, Sofer don't die. Stay alive for the children!"
>>
>>2022257
Ah yes, a bravado manifesto that was never carried out means it's acceptable to slaughter hundreds of unrelated prisoners in prison for reasons of religion.
>>
>>2020329

Rommel was given enormous quantities of supplies. He just embarked on offensives that were outside of where the supplies could be delivered, ensuring that literally tons and tons of stuff were sitting around in Tripoli where he couldn't actually use them.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a348413.pdf

> He was not given fresh tanks and was using pz.III's well into the war.

So was everyone else. You had tons of PZ3s being used in Russia in 41 and 42.
>>
>>2007022
Good, fuck royals.
>>
>>2007109
Stalin never said that though
>>
>>2008232
>he has feels for Loo Bang
>not based Xiang Yu who died protecting his waifu and his countrymen
>>
File: 1452314052190.jpg (237KB, 1168x1024px)
1452314052190.jpg
237KB, 1168x1024px
>>
File: jupiter and semele.jpg (1MB, 1062x1920px) Image search: [Google]
jupiter and semele.jpg
1MB, 1062x1920px
>>2003888
Passchendale, the Somme, Verdun. Listening to "Blueprint for the apocalypse."
>>
>>2024265
edgy xdddd
>>
>>2003888
Thats what you get for being a racist bigot!
>>
>>2019930
yeah, that's pretty much a natural defensive measure from your brain
it's like they say, if you have been hurt before you don't want to repeat everything again

thing is, you need to fight that... but it's perfectly normal for that to happen. or else pretty much every single person to, let's say, fought in a war would come home completely destroyed.

it's just your ears, if you are in a really loud place like a factory or a foundry, your brain will eventually "normalize" the previously painful sounds and it will no longer be painful to you.
but you will still get deaf at some point, but your brain is still trying to protect you since it gets you won't be moving from that place any time soon
>>
>>2007022
Republicans were monsters without souls. Fuck the Republique, longlive the King.
>>
>Filename

Can you just imagine what he went through?
>>
>>2005722
>being best friends
>gay
kys
>>
>>2024276
>*Buries ten thousand enemy prisoners alive*
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wills

>Thomas Wentworth "Tom" Wills (19 August 1835 – 2 May 1880) was an Australian sportsman who is credited with being his country's first cricketer of significance and a founder of Australian rules football.

>Born in the British colony of New South Wales to a wealthy family descended from convicts, Wills grew up in the bush on properties owned by his father, the pastoralist and politician Horatio Wills, in what is now the Australian state of Victoria. He befriended local Aborigines, learning their language and customs.

>In 1861, at the height of his fame, Wills joined his father on an eight-month trek into the Queensland outback to establish a family property. Two weeks after their arrival, Wills' father and 18 others were murdered in the largest massacre of settlers by Aborigines in Australian history. Wills survived and resumed playing sport upon his return to Victoria in 1864, and in 1866, assisted in creating the first Aboriginal cricket team, which he coached and captained on an Australian tour.

>Psychological trauma from the massacre was worsened by his alcoholism. Now destitute, Wills was admitted to the Melbourne Hospital in 1880, suffering from delirium tremens, but shortly afterwards escaped and returned to his home on the city's margins, where he committed suicide by stabbing himself in the heart.
>>
>>2025726
So?
>>
File: 1476081780774.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px)
1476081780774.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
>For forty-three years of my conscious life I have remained a revolutionist; for forty-two of them I have fought under the banner of Marxism. If I had to begin all over again I would of course try to avoid this or that mistake, but the main course of my life would remain unchanged. I shall die a proletarian revolutionist, a Marxist, a dialectical materialist, and, consequently, an irreconcilable atheist. My faith in the communist future of mankind is not less ardent, indeed it is firmer today, than it was in the days of my youth. Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

L. Trotsky
27 February 1940
Coyoacan
>>
File: 1460889101205.jpg (16KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
1460889101205.jpg
16KB, 500x439px
Fuck this gay thread
>>
>>2020635

Turks? Be mad about the crusaders. Niqqas fucked that city up forever.
>>
File: 1477611199414.png (669KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477611199414.png
669KB, 1000x1000px
>>2024269
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/519365-this-creature-softened-my-heart-of-stone-she-died-and

Try again.
>>
File: edge.png (168KB, 328x327px)
edge.png
168KB, 328x327px
>>2019924
Wo0oOow dude you're like, so epic dude XD
>>
>>2006760
Interestingly what became of this child is completely unknown.
>>
"An event which made the slaughter more dreadful was the death of a father at the hands of his son. I record the incidient and the names on the authority of Vipstanus Messalla. A recruit from the hurricane legion (21st Rapax), one Julius Mansuetus from Spain.. Has left a young lad at home. Soon after, the boy came of age, and having been called up by Galba for service in the VIIth Legion (VII Galbiana) Chanced to encounter his father in battle and wounded him seriously. As he was searching the prostrate and semi-concious figure, father and soon recognized each other... Embracing the dying man, the son prayed in words choked by sobs that his father's spirit would be appeased and not bear him illwill as a parricide: the act was not a personal one, and one single soldier was merely an infintessimal fraction of the forces engaged in the civil war... With these words he took up the body, dug a grave and discharged the last duty to his father. Some near by soldiers noticed this, then more and more; and so throughout the lines ran a current of wonder and complaint and men cursed this cruellest of warsbut did not stop them killing and robbing relatives, kinsman and brothers: they said to each other that a crime had been done and in the same breath they did it themselves"
>>
>>2027438
Roman civil war that put Vespasian on the throne eventually. Didnt' have room to type it all
>>
>>2005722
>tfw the only thing I find sad in that story is the fact that french used to be the lingua franca
>>
>>2027696
DELET THIS
>>
>>2020082
No reply, I guess his source was pulled directly from his ass.
>>
>>2017292
That episode of Hardcore Histories is filled with feels.

>The story of the wounded soldier in no mans land who was found dead with his hand covering his mouth, attempting to stifle his own screams so his comrades wouldn't try and rescue him after 3 had already died trying.
>>
File: 1374199583516.gif (552KB, 350x197px)
1374199583516.gif
552KB, 350x197px
>>2011577

>"We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats."
>>
>>2020327
Those types of people mostly only reside in and around cities. In almost all states, the more rural areas are filled with conservatives that are usually very gun-friendly. Yes, even places like New York and Massachusetts, and especially the northern midwest.

The only downside to this is that they all would probably side with the south too anymore. I swear to God I see more rebel flags driving around bumfuck PA than I ever did visiting family in South Carolina.
>>
https://youtu.be/O0C-euAyCTU

This part always gets me.
>>
>>2011205
Yeah, it was dead tired.
>>
>>2027094
Shit at least the turks tried to do something with with it.
>>
>>2026109
;_;
>>
>>2005722
>Be a faggot
>Speak in French
>>
>>2020608
>It's a genocide denial post
>>
>>2018295
>Tfw I read Alchemy of Air
Fuck, him and Bosch just couldn't get a break.
>>
>>2020127
>The Union and every last fucking Unionist like you deserves to die.
REMOVE DIXIE
E
M
O
V
E

D
I
X
I
E
>>
>Hephaestion was given a magnificent funeral. Its cost is variously given in the sources as 10,000 talents or 12,000 talents. It is difficult to give a modern equivalent for such a huge amount. Even at the most conservative estimate, Hephaestion’s funeral would have cost £1,500,000,000. Alexander himself drove the funeral carriage part of the way back to Babylon. At Babylon funeral games were held in Hephaestion's honour. The contests ranged from literature to athletics and 3,000 competitors took part, the festival eclipsing anything that had gone before both in cost and in numbers taking part.Plutarch says that Alexander planned to spend twelve thousand talents on the funeral and the tomb, which is greater than the amount King Darius had offered him to end his conquests of Persia.

>The pyre was sixty metres high, square in shape and built in stepped levels. The first level was decorated with two hundred and forty ships with golden prows, each of these adorned with armed figures with red banners filling the spaces between. On the second level were torches with snakes at the base, golden wreaths in the middle and at the top, flames surmounted by eagles. The third level showed a hunting scene, and the fourth a battle of centaurs, all done in gold. On the fifth level, also in gold, were lions and bulls, and on the sixth the arms of Macedon and Persia. The seventh and final level bore sculptures of sirens, hollowed out to conceal a choir who would sing a lament.

>One final tribute remained, and it is compelling in its simplicity and in what it reveals about the high esteem in which Hephaestion was held by Alexander. On the day of the funeral, he gave orders that the sacred flame in the temple should be extinguished. Normally, this was only done on the death of the Great King himself.

>Alexander himself died just eight months later in Babylon.
>>
>the Ottoman Empire is no more
:(
>>
>>2029704
I just realized how much LoGH took from Alexander for Reinhard's story.
>>
>>2009525
Sounds like straight from All Quiet On The Western Front

Also, Rising Storm is fucking brutal
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 98

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.