[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Catholic 'Excesses'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 275px-CirconcisionRothenburg.jpg (22KB, 275x206px) Image search: [Google]
275px-CirconcisionRothenburg.jpg
22KB, 275x206px
Former Catholic turned atheist here.

I see many Catholics fail to understand when others say that that particular branch of Christianity is especially "excessive", "stifling", and "over-bearing", what with its many 'devotions' to a myriad things: the Holy Face of Jesus, the Wounds of Jesus, the Heart of Jesus, the Heart of Mary, the Name of Jesus, or the Acts of Reparation to Mary-Jesus, and so on and so on, but also its penchant for overwhelming displays of 'piety' (the relic trade and 'wars' and the obsession with pomp and royal garb come to mind)

And all these devotions sounding like the ravings of sexually-frustrated amd isolated individuals, who were constantly bombarded by exclusively Catholic imagery, with their only outlet involving these visions (eother actual delusions born from mental instability, or outright/pious fabrications for the sake of attentio , etc.)

It really is not that difficult to understand the many rebellions against the Roman establishment's practices throughout history, from the Cathars all the way to the Brethren of the Free Spirit and the Reformation and anti-clericals in the 18th - 20th century. Consider that most anti-clerical movements have always surfaced in Catholic or Orthodox nations, but only seldomly in Protestant ones. That is because Protestantism is - without trying to offend - quite barebones, and does not feel as "excessive", meaning that there is nothing to really rebel against.
>>
>>2000194
bumpy bump
>>
Nothing wrong with devotion to body parts. I specially pope Francis like the devotion to the feet of Abdul al Negro, patron saint of the jobless and those on welfare.
>>
As a practicing Catholic, I don't really know what to make of your post. The faith requires us to live a life of simplicity, following the footsteps of Christ. The theological and philosophical opinions of countless scholars have been acquired during the 2,000 years that the earthly Church has existed.

>Protestantism is - without trying to offend - quite barebones, and does not feel as "excessive", meaning that there is nothing to really rebel against.

That's because Protestantism is a watered down version of Christianity. It was like this during its conception and is even more so today. Ironically, many Protestants today deny many of the dogmas that their early reformers accepted just to separate themselves from Catholics even further.
>>
>>2000194

>Former Catholic turned atheist here.

Atheist here, I dont care.
>>
>>2000194
>Consider that most anti-clerical movements have always surfaced in Catholic or Orthodox nations
And what Orthodox nations might those be? I don't recall any.

>but only seldomly in Protestant ones. That is because Protestantism is - without trying to offend - quite barebones, and does not feel as "excessive", meaning that there is nothing to really rebel against.

You realize that Protestants just break off into another branch, correct? Look at the Lutherans, or Baptists. It's fractal Christianity.
>>
File: 1470083718694.jpg (41KB, 450x327px) Image search: [Google]
1470083718694.jpg
41KB, 450x327px
>>2000244
I find Pope Francis' devotion to the feet of Al Negro is rather, uh, distasteful.

Catholicism is a disgusting religion.
>>
>>2000245
>The faith requires us to live a life of simplicity
>Catholicism, and the bureaucracy that keeps it afloat.
>>
>>2000245

>simplicity he says.

>tfw when see people in church doing rosaries with the most extravagant rosaries they can find.

watered down? the things you say are watered down are unnecessary and just the product of social structure and hierarchy rather than biblical truths, you could say. Yes, i practise and would say catholicism is probably by far the richest in terms of structured oppurtunities for worship and things like that. but they arent necesseties of christianity and its probably the same for protestant sects. they are just different groups.
>>
>>2000194

The anti-clericalism wasn't related to all that overbearing devotion to a lot of stuff like the one you mentioned and more (which I agree is fucking retarded and more of a showbusiness display in many occasions) but more down to the overbearing presence and control of the church over society, education and their political and economical power in proximity with the ruling power. So anticlericalism was more if a reaction to tell the catholic church to fugg off, mind their own business and kick them out of that position of privileged influence over society and politics.

Ironically, that position of pushing their agenda on society and gaining economical and political power is nowadays more typical of protestantcucks in America than of the Catholic Church in pretty much everywhere.

t. Catholicuck turned fedora
>>
>>2000664

was like the russian revolution of religion.
>>
>>2000664
>>2000194
ITT: poorly catechized Catholics complain about something they don't understand. I'd be ashamed if I was your father.
>>
>>2000194

that is all optional content
>>
>>2000770
bet youre a baby boomer. if so, gtfo.
>>
>>2000770
Pretty much this.
>I was once catholic
>But because people have fancy rosaries I don't believe God exists anymore
>>
>>2000194
You'e not an atheist you"re an apostate who betrayed God, his ancestor, and his parents, and you shall burn in hell for doing so.
>>
File: topkek.jpg (6KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
6KB, 199x253px
>>2000892

>god exists

topkek
>>
File: showmetheevidence.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
showmetheevidence.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>>2000995

Now show me the evidence.
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (126KB, 642x484px) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
126KB, 642x484px
>>2000892
u wot m8?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.