[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /his/ tell me about Manichaeism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: manichaeism_Turfan.png (799KB, 890x594px) Image search: [Google]
manichaeism_Turfan.png
799KB, 890x594px
What can /his/ tell me about Manichaeism?
>>
>>1993181
Interested bump.
Book recommendations welcome.
>>
File: ManichaeismMap.jpg (52KB, 800x371px) Image search: [Google]
ManichaeismMap.jpg
52KB, 800x371px
Its absolutely Insane that Manichaeism spread completely peacefully to all corners of the world and could have been major player but now we know not much about it anymore.

Its a shame that its gone entirely.
>>
>>1993351
a few LARPers claim to have 'revived' it
>>
>>1993355
You have for everything Larpers, so its not really worth mentioning.
I bet somewhere are a handful teenage saudis LARPing hubal worship too in order to spite their parents in secrecy.
>>
>>1993351
why did it die out in china post-17th century?
is it known how theologically close the eastern and western populations were?
>>
>>1993379
From Wikipedia about the history of the only surviving manichean temple in the world from china by the name of Cao'an.

The Quanzhou historian He Qiaoyuan left a short account of the shrine on Huabiao Hill and its Manichaean origin in the Book of Fujian, which also gave him a reason to summarize what little he knew about the Manichaeans. This text is one of the few pieces of literary evidence we have from the last centuries of Manichaeism in China, He Qiaoyuan speculated that there were still some followers of the "Religion of Light" (Chinese: 明教) in Fujian in his days, but they "[were] not much in evidence" ("不甚显云").

Cao'an was renovated in 1922, becoming an annex of a Buddhist temple complex where the "ancestral teachers of India and China" were venerated; however, that temple complex later fell into disuse as well. As Samuel N.C. Lieu notes, worshipers at the time would probably think that the "Moni" moniker in Cao'an inscriptions referred to "[Śākya]muni" ([释迦]牟尼), i.e. Gautama Buddha; this is what the locals told archaeologist Wu Wenliang a few years later as well.

It seems as if their numbers thinned out and as there was no incencitive for them to stay an isolated religious group for some reason they adopted more and more bhuddist and taoist lines of thought until they forgot the initial faith.

More info
http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1529&context=utk_chanhonoproj
>>
Aha!

Apparently a language shift happened with the incoorparation of bhuddist thought and local language.
Monijao-bhuddism instead of Manicheanism seems to be the latters last surviving tendril.

Here they even have a website:
http://buddha.monijiao.org/amitabha/about-the-monijiao-association/

Westeners picked them up already so you have self proclaimed manicheans now on teitter, but as the one of that cloister is actually based in china instead of los angeles and calls itself more of bhudda then of mani it seems to be the more genuine leftover.
>>
>>1993432
>>1993490
based anon
>>
Christian Gnoticism + Zoroastrianism + Buddhism. It would have been the perfect religion. It's a shame ISIStianity erased it like ISIS would do to Yazidis.
>>
>even eating plants was reported to be not free from wrongdoing.

http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Religions/iranian/Manichaeism/man_manichaeaism.htm
>>
>>1993734
>Isistianity

You forgot the muzzies purging persia central asia?
>>
>>1993775
Christianity's little retard brother! How could I have forgotten!
>>
>>1993810
>brother
lolno
If you take it that way you should be blaming jews at first as christianity came from them, but you probably wouldnt feel good doing that you little faggot.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.