[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A question for /his/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

I've been dealing with crippling depression for over 2 years now and have actually recently begun to get ahold of myself in the past few months by adopting a healthier diet, strict exercise regimen (inb4 op is a fatass) and, while I am an atheist, I have been regularly attending and volunteering at a Baptist Church. I believe this structured lifestyle has been helpful to me in the process of commanding my life back into order. Although, as of quite recently I've been experiencing some slippages in my dominance over my emotions and was wondering if joining a more devout sect of Christianity (I was thinking Catholicism or Mormonism ) would provide me with the structure and security I desire. Thoughts?
>>
>>1989459
>Mormons
>Christian
(inb4 >catholics >christian)

also Baptists are on average the most zealous fundies i've met
>>
>>1989468
>"sect"
>fucktard
>doesnt answer question
>>
Catholics aren't more devout laity wise, as a lapsed Catholic I'd argue there isn't much community once the mass ends.

The Catholic church is more validate due to a historical claim going back to the Apostles and Jesus.

One benefit would be that priests are more educated theologically but they're so busy with their flock that they may not give time to a LARPing atheist.
>>
>>1989459
Islam.
>>
>>1989459
If emotional control is what you want I'd suggest a few serious acting classes first. If the teacher includes Stanislaski, even better.

Generally the whole point of that style of acting involves recognising and analysing emotions and internal conflicts and then turning them into something useful. It gets you into habits of spotting spirals of depression or rage as they start and nipping them in the bud.

It won't give you "dominance" in the sense that it will stop you from feeling things but it will give you more control over how those feelings effect your performance in life.

You'll have to put up with a lot of really liberal types who don't get the discipline of the work but if the teacher is good that's all that matters.
>>
File: img_3492.jpg (2MB, 3021x2229px) Image search: [Google]
img_3492.jpg
2MB, 3021x2229px
>>1989459
I grew up Southern Baptist and struggled with the same things. Was an atheist, super depressed... I also found similar relief through joining and being part of a church as well. However, from personal experience, I'd recommend against Catholicism or Mormonism. There's more of a community in Mormonism, yes, but it's kinda weirdly restrictive (met with mormon missionaries on and off for like a year), and their theology is actually bizarre, but they won't actually tell you about it until you're actually converted. There's also not really a Catholic community. Everyone kinda disperses after mass.
I found Episcopal to be the most sound for me, both theologically and community wise.
Just my opinion
>>
File: Bait.png (122KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Bait.png
122KB, 625x626px
>>1989459

>lumping Catholics and Mormons together
>>
>>1989500
>>1989459

one thing though, catholicism has a richer worshiping life and the church has much more worshipping oppurtunities to offer which can help build structure in someones life and i find the mass a more powerful thing if you understand it than other sunday services. They believe the real presence of christ is in the church and its always open to prayer. they usually have specific hours several days a week for specific prayer; holy hours, exposition of sacrament, rosarys and stations of the cross. mass is every day. you can do rosarys by yourself at home or other things like divine mercy. very structured prayer which is almost like a meditation.

Even if youre not a theist, i'd say prayer is a good thing. being thankful for your lot, humility, praying for others, love, contemplation praying about the bad things youve done, even meditation in the contemporary sense of the word.

its just a shame that it is dominated by older people and is abit less communal but then again i dont personally see a reason to restrict yourself to one area; though others might not like that idea. One mixture i really like is charismatic catholicism.

At university, the catholic society was amazing and had their own house you could chill in and loads of activities and did prayers together, rosary walks along the shore. Back home theres no catholic community and no young people.
>>
Dude you can't just claim Christianity without believing it. That destroys the entire point. You're not fooling God
>>
>>1992650
from a christians perspective, would you rather an atheist hanging out with atheists and doing atheist things or an atheist hanging out with christians and doing christian things?
>>
>>1989459
I honestly think Buddhism and Taoism is better for you at this moment.
>>
File: 1471873896873.jpg (80KB, 670x677px) Image search: [Google]
1471873896873.jpg
80KB, 670x677px
>>1989459
I think /adv/ would be of more help friend.
>>
>>1992650
It's a church not a gang. It's better that OP is trying to live right and better himself rather than doing nothing.
>>
File: 6stages.png (576KB, 1010x783px) Image search: [Google]
6stages.png
576KB, 1010x783px
i recommend
go with christ
, bro.

come share your woes over at 8/christian/
>>
File: mary-of-egypt.jpg (519KB, 870x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mary-of-egypt.jpg
519KB, 870x1024px
MAY GOD BLESS YOU, OP, WITH
F
A
I
T
H

!

CHRIST BE WITH YOU!
>>
File: 10+Visitation.jpg (901KB, 1050x1595px) Image search: [Google]
10+Visitation.jpg
901KB, 1050x1595px
once again i invite you to come ask questions over at /christian/ on 8ch

also, i urge you to pray! even for a moment: let your heart be suspended by faith!
God bless! God bless! God bless (You) !

>>1989459
>>
>>1993051
you killed this thread faggot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.