[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was it decided which front you'd fight on in WWII?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1239779_orig.jpg (20KB, 310x448px) Image search: [Google]
1239779_orig.jpg
20KB, 310x448px
I am thinking about the American Military specifically, but information about other countries is appreciated as well.

Follow up question, some of the men depicted in the HBO series, "Band of Brothers" are older, late 20's- early 30's. Does this mean that they waited to enlist? The first bit of combat these men experience is in 1944 (and they go through boot camp about a year before if my memory serves me right), and of course the war had been going on well before that in Africa, Italy, and the Pacific. The men who were older than 18 in 1941 could have enlisted then. Why would these men have waited? Would it not have been considered cowardly? Am I watching a bunch of cowards? Someone please explain this to me.

Cheers.
>>
>>1983217
>am i watching a bunch of cowards
Did you sign up for Afghanistan?
>>
>>1983217
>some of the men depicted in the HBO series, "Band of Brothers" are older, late 20's- early 30's.

The actors were. Realistically they would be pimply teenagers.
>>
Seriously?

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>1983269
average age of the WWII conscript was 26

Major winters for example enlisted in 1940 right out of college because he saw the writing was on the wall and hoped he'd be able to put in his two years or whatever and avoid the brunt of the war
>>
>The first bit of combat these men experience is in 1944
Like most of American army. U.S just start get ready for in 40's when all another countries had mobilized before (36-38).
>>
>>1983217
In general, the United States Army with their Aircore went to Europe, while the Marines and the Navy handled the Pacific. You had a pretty good idea of where you were heading just by what branch you joined.
>>
>>1983245
Are you really comparing WWII to the War on Terror? I'd have joined if I thought the war was a just one. I'm considering joining the military anyways.
>>
>>1983419
>are you really comparing a moral circumstance to another moral circumstance?
Yes, maybe they didn't agree with the war until later
>>
>>1983217
>Follow up question, some of the men depicted in the HBO series, "Band of Brothers" are older, late 20's- early 30's. Does this mean that they waited to enlist?
Overwhelming majority of direct combat roles would be kids and early-mid 20 year olds with combat support being filled with late 20's to early 30's. This is excluding officers and Sergeants. The movies and TV shows use actors who are far older than what most infantrymen would have been.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>YOU GOYIM ARE STANDING AT ATTENTION
>PERCONTE YOU ARE A PATHETIC ITALIAN MANLET
>>
>>1983466
Sure given a modern viewpoint I could see this being the case. But during WWII the overwhelming majority of people felt the war was just. I'd say the only ones who didn't jump at the opportunity to enlist were the ethnic Germans and Japanese living in America. People who were drafted in WWII were looked down on as cowards. This is not the case for the war in Afghanistan but if it were (and the war were actually just) I would join. Hence your original objection is retarded.
>>
>>1983509
>how could they possibly have an opinion when *inserts opinion*
>*cites the opinons of others*
>>
>>1983477
Yes I understand this but I guess not to the necessary extent. I just looked up Carwood Lipton and he was only 24, I thought they were portraying him to be at least 28. I think The Pacific does a better job at age-portrayal. Most of those guys look 18-25. Lipton enlisted on 15 August 1942, which means he enlisted when he was 22 years old. That's not so bad- only a year after America joined the war. I suspect the other people a bit older than 18 enlisted at a similar time.
>>
>>1983521
Huh?
>>
Guess it would depend on where you were needed, if they needed more men on one front or your specific job was needed in some place you'd go there
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.