[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

major in philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Kant_gemaelde_1.jpg (134KB, 800x942px) Image search: [Google]
Kant_gemaelde_1.jpg
134KB, 800x942px
ITT: Reasons to major in philosophy in uni

is it a waste of time or is there something to the socalled "soft skills" that you gain that are appreciated for many jobs ?

and is the difficulty of the subject worthy of academic unis ? does it train your arguing skills/reasoning skills greatly ?
>>
I think that an education in mathematics and statistics or physics (I guess) will transform the way in which you think about the world more so than a philosophy education. Philosophy / philosophers (barring some of the Greeks) have always left me somewhat disappointed in comparison to the depth of feeling / though I find in good works of literature or theology or even religious text.

I think it depends what you find yourself caring about the most though, really. Do you actually like philosophy or do you just want to be "le smart philosopher man". That wasn't a jab at you, by the way. You should consider these things.
>>
>>1983153

I kind of digressed there. I do mean that math / stat / phys or even literature / English / whatever humanities will probably prepare you for real life better more so than a philosophy education will in a lot of ways. Arguing is all never REALLY about being right... Not saying that's a good thing, but getting better at reading and writing in general will make you better at reasoning.

Statisticians typically have unbelievable reasoning ability, in my experience.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
Our philosophy institute is full of spoiled fedora-tipping leftards

I once went there at night and hung up some "ABORTION IS MURDER" posters, and it got its own article in the uni newspaper as a "shocling display of patriarchal oppression"

R8 shitposting
>>
>>1983094
Even if you could find a use for a philosophy degree, I think you may be disappointed by the programs.
>>
>>1983094
Philosophy is better done as leisure study rather than paid for study
>>
>>1983094
if you're a philosophy major, you can get jobs in editing, writing, advertising, marketing, policy analysis, research, journalism, etc.

however, I'm a stem major who's pivoted to humanities and I get this work pretty easily. if you must do philosophy, learn html or r or python or SPSS so you can stand out with actual skills. we live in a web-based info economy
>>
>>1983094
Waste of time.
Unworthy. You will get courses in logic and arguing skills which no doubt will some day turn out helpful; yet there are more practical things to learn at uni.

I hope you do realize that philosophers are the laughing stock at any campus.
>>
>>1983094
Gonna go ahead and type this out before reading the thread, then I'll reply as needed.

An undergrad in philosophy is not worth dick, unfortunately. It's nice to learn about in an environment of higher learning surrounded by (mostly) not dumbasses. Some of my favorite classes have been PAR, and they've really changed my personal perspective on life. I'd love to major in it, but when it comes to the job hunt, it's not worth the hassle of going through our uni system (gonna assume you're American for the sake of argument).

What an undergrad in Philosophy can get you is limited out of the gate. You can either
A. Write, haha, or
B., if your Philosophy major is tied into a Religion major, become a priest or whatever religious leader you want. But that usually requires extra schooling, which brings me to my next point,

If you undergrad in PAR, your best shot is to go to grad school. The most common graduate degree for PAR majors is law. If you do well in undergrad with philosophy, you'd be surprised with how many schools would accept you into their graduate law program. Or you could go to graduate school and get your master/doctorate in Philosophy and teach.

Just laying it out there for you, man. There's not much room out there for philosophers anymore.

>>1983188
>look at me I'm edgy for trollzin a college campus
0/10 pick a harder target, faggot.

>>1983430
This desu. You can do a lot with Philosophy as a major, but it's not really a great reflection of the years you spent and the money you poured into taking those courses.
>>
>>1984179
im german and my parents pay for anything i do not need to pay one penny or work one second, but thank you for your detailled response !
>>
>>1984188
Well if you're that well off, go ahead and have fun with it, I guess.
>>
>>1984188
>german
In that case philosophy isn't that bad. Be sure you do a Doppelbachelor though, maybe take english so that you can always fall back on becoming a highschool teacher.

If you want to do anything that isn't education or academia you'll have to do a shitton of internships and networking though
>>
Like everyone is sort of saying, might as well major in a demonstrable skill that requires math. You can study philosophy all you want in your free time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.