[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western/Eastern Europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: abbBpNX_700b.jpg (469KB, 2048x1071px) Image search: [Google]
abbBpNX_700b.jpg
469KB, 2048x1071px
Was there a division of Eastern-Western Europe before the Soviets? Specifically talking from the XVIII century to pre-jewvolution XX century

Were places like Poland, Ukraine or Russia considered parts of Europe proper or were they always considered eastern subhuman backwaters?
>>
No
Only division was between catholics and orthodox, russia for a time wasnt even tought off as europe
>>
>>1983050
Wrong. Russia was thought of as Nothern Europe.
>>1983015
Generally no, no division but you need to specify when.
>>
Western Europe industrialized, developed complex systems of parliament, and colonized the majority of the world while eastern Europe remained mostly feudal or as vassals of the Ottomans

wtf do you think op?
>>
File: europe_historical_map-560x385.jpg (94KB, 560x385px) Image search: [Google]
europe_historical_map-560x385.jpg
94KB, 560x385px
>>1983062
>>1983015
To strengthen my claim pic related.
>>
>>1983062
I might be wrong, but i read somewhere that during Ottoman conquests (16th century) in Europe there was treaty between its countries to stop the wars between them and concentrate on turks .
Allegedly Russia wasnt invited because it wasnt thought as part of Europe.
>>
File: MTAyNHg3Njg,plwwswietych2.jpg (221KB, 1024x690px) Image search: [Google]
MTAyNHg3Njg,plwwswietych2.jpg
221KB, 1024x690px
>>1983063
Both Poland and Czechoslovakia were industrialized and complex, plus big parts of what later became known as Eastern Europe was part of Prussia and sure as hell developed. Czechoslovakia for example was one of the few countries with a movie industry. Pic related Krakow around 1900.
>while eastern Europe remained mostly feudal or as vassals of the Ottomans
>vassals of the Ottomans
>before the Soviets
You high?
>>
>>1983076
Well you would need to back that claim up but I cede that we need to be specific on the era. By the 19th century Russia basically had saved Europe from Napoleon and pumped out some famous works of art and science. There was no division between East and West though and Russia was part of Northern Europe. If I check my university's old library catalogues (200 year old handwritten onees) Russia is filed as "Nordeuropa".
>>
>>1983077
Eastern Prussia was a hellhole compared to most of Poland. There's a reason why the was massive emigration of ethnic Germans from eastern Germany, the so called Ostflucht.
>>
>>1983097
>Eastern Prussia was a hellhole compared to most of Poland.
There was no Poland when the Ostflucht happened...but yes I am aware of that but the Ostflucht doesn't have much to do with ethnic Germans. We are talking about pre-Soviet times ITT. Where do you think all the Polish names in the Ruhr-Region and around Berlin come from? Those were former Landarbeiter (see Max Weber famous works on them).
But all this has little importance to OPs question desu and places like Warsaw, Danzig or Königsberg were far from being hellholes.
>>
>Slavs vs Germanic countries
>catholic vs protestants
>liberal republics vs monarchists

The "europa thing" is a pretty soon view.
>>
>>1983076
The closer thing that comes to my mind is the project of the Duke of Sully for a more united and peaceful Europe (some want to see it as a proto-EU), that didn't have the objective of fighting the Ottomans but stoping wars amongst europeans and weaking the Habsburgs (the main enemies of the Ottomans). In fact Sully suggests that maybe the Ottomans and the Russians should be invited too, although they're not part of his main plan. You read well, Russians and Ottomans are put on a similar level of "Europe but not" by Sully.

But he was french, other nations maybe had a different opinion.
>>
>>1983015
Back in the day Eastern Europe started in what is now Ukraine, as Western Europe was a synonym for Catholic Europe.
>>
>>1983063
>completely forgets about the Habsburg monarchy and Prussia/German empire

A huge chunk of Eastern Europe belonged to them. Half of Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia etc. Not Russians and Ottomans.
>>
File: LwTKxqk.jpg (482KB, 2403x1074px)
LwTKxqk.jpg
482KB, 2403x1074px
>>1983015
The only division was between catholic/protestant/orthodox/islamic parts and thats it
>>
>>1983128
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake
>>
File: 1467759452857.png (439KB, 2000x2141px) Image search: [Google]
1467759452857.png
439KB, 2000x2141px
>>1983015
Take a guess.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.