[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If God was not real, it would be necessary to invent him.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1450058354991.png (400KB, 450x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450058354991.png
400KB, 450x720px
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>1981048
I am going assume that they meant that we may never know the origin of the universe and our place here, and we would need to create something that everyone could look up to.
>>
it means people are stupid cavemen and if you want them to pay attention to you when you say killing your neighbor over a head of lettuce or fucking your four year old daughter is bad you have to dress it up in spooky mysticism about an all seeing sky father that will reward you after you die for being a gud boi
>>
>>1981048
You've no idea how many people would go on a murder spree and do whatever they want if someone didn't trick them into there being no way to escape punishment if they did.
>>
File: 1452366440989.gif (2MB, 422x409px) Image search: [Google]
1452366440989.gif
2MB, 422x409px
just your typical reference to the idea that humans need some kind of meaning or purpose to their existence, and that an idea such as "god" plays a key role in human society.

there's no objective evidence supporting the necessity of deity invention, though, so you might as well say "if helicopter-tiger hybrids didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent them". sure you could make some kind of axiomatic argument, because tiger-helicopters would be cool and could become a central part of society, but, no evidence supporting necessity.
>>
>>1981063
You have no idea either. You're trying to rhetorically suggest that it's "many", but your only foundation for that claim is muh feels.
>>
>>1981065
Doesn't the fact that we need it mean something?? How come chimps don't get existential crises???
>>
File: 1454808354352.jpg (471KB, 1580x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1454808354352.jpg
471KB, 1580x1080px
>>1981063

On the other hand, a lot of people have been killed and tortured by people who thought they would receive rewards from their imaginary friend in the sky, so your argument goes both way.
>>
>>1981085
>implying those people wouldn't have killed anyway
>>
File: 1041_11[1].gif (62KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
1041_11[1].gif
62KB, 468x240px
>>1981077
Obviously I've no statistics but if there weren't people going bonkers then the argument that "if there's no god then what's stopping me from being a dick" wouldn't be a thing.
>>1981085
True.
>>
>>1981078
I was specifically saying that there's no evidence that we need it. I don't use anything even close to resembling "god" in my life.
>>
>>1981123
But human cultures universally develop some kind of spirituality, it doesn't seem odd to you that we are basically programmed to worship something?
>>
Seeing that Voltaire was a deist, I imagine it has to do with the institution of the Christian church and religion in general with truth coming about via divine revelation instead of what he thought was logic.
>>
I wish there was an anime where cute girls debated ethics and philosophy.
>>
>>1981167
there is, it's called lucky star
>>
>>1981147
I can see how someone who grew up in western culture would believe such a thing, as western culture stems from monotheistic abrahamic-agriculturalism sourced in the middle east oh just around 5-10k years ago. many animistic cultures don't have anything resembling an abrahamic god, not to mention the entire east and the americas.

abrahamic culture programs you to worship something, and there's still a lot of abrahamic values permeating western culture as a whole. it has little or nothing to do with human genetics.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.