[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Ancient Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1455844737670.jpg (278KB, 516x1633px) Image search: [Google]
1455844737670.jpg
278KB, 516x1633px
I've always been fascinated by ancient languages generally, and how language has been shaped and changed through time.

Which ancient languages do you guys think are more important?

Is Classical or Church Latin more important to a historian/ more important to learn?

Where are good places to start learning ancient languages?
>>
Bump for curiosity
>>
>>1980098
> Which ancient languages do you guys think are more important?
Ancient Greek. All the ancient philosophy and 70% of history was written in Greek. Even Romans themselves wrote all their serious stuff in Greek, and it you're into the early Church history it's 99% Greek.
>>
>>1980346
What sources do you recommend for learning? Any online ones?
>>
Ancient Greek importance sort of ended with The Bible, after that it was the language of elites, byzantines, mathematics, and not much else.
Latin, on the other hand, lives in every language spoken in modern Europe and Americas. It had several revivals during Medieval and Renaissance periods, etymology of most english words goes back to latin (to french, actually, which is a romance language).
>>
>>1980098

start with the greeks, friend, there is nothing else
>>
File: learn-to-read-greek.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
learn-to-read-greek.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>1980423
Not him, but I bought pic related and have been progressing in it as often as I can work up the motivation with great results.
It is extremely heavy on drills but if you are serious about learning I think you will come to appreciate them as I have.
>>
>>1980098
Latin student here can confirm that it is a fucking meme-language.
>>
Latin started being an important language somewhere between 3rd century BC and 5th century CE. From there on Latin remained the most important language in scholarship until late 19th century.

A very good book to start with Latin is Familia Romana. You can find it very easily online. Also, in deka glossai's youtube channel he has videos on learning classical languages.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dekaglossai
>>
>>1980538
Would you happen to know how to say female teacher? I assume Praeceptora, but I'm not an experienced student
>>
>>1980604

ziepes my friend
>>
>>1980098
Is Ancient Hebrew worth learning? I want to be able to read the Old Testament in Ancient Hebrew.
>>
>>1981121
Yes. Learn the language of the Hebrews. Modern version is shit and mostly made up.
>>
>>1980098

High Chinese?

If you're from IRRELEVANT state around asia. All the hope for your country's early history lies with the chink.
The chink provided history for central asian steppe nomad Turkic and mongolian, also IndoChina/SouthEastAsia statelet, and a handful of african state.
Speaking of those direct neighbor JapKorViet, their history starts with chink's documentation, when they begin to record their own history, they learnt chink and writes in chink to compile their history, right up to last century.

All of this doesn't matter if you're ETERNAL EURO
>>
File: sLAg5TsQpkI.jpg (50KB, 564x437px) Image search: [Google]
sLAg5TsQpkI.jpg
50KB, 564x437px
>>1980098
>That picture
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.