[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does western civilization owe it's success to the good book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Bible.jpg (20KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
Bible.jpg
20KB, 443x332px
Does western civilization owe it's success to the good book?
>>
it owes its success to mediterranean trade and the gulf stream
>>
>>1978170
no, Greek philosophy was more important.
Greek philosophy shaped the christian faith in europe and the christian faith shaped europe.
>>
>>1978170
>What is the Roman Empire
>>
>>1978170
Yes, the protestant reformation led to widespread literacy
>>
>>1978170
No trying to be contrarian or anything, but actually it's the other way around. The following posts state some reasons. The book itself is hardly worth anything. Europeans stablished the Roman Empire with its roads, built the monasteries, universities, invented the press, exploded the sea and colonized the world, making required reading for everyone else. If Europe has converted to Mithraism, Islam, or anything else it would have been the sacred book of said religions instead of the bible. Don't think for a second that if say, sub-Saharan Africa had been the only continent to convert and read the bible, that it would be anything else than it is merely because they read the bible.
>>1978204
>>1978218
>>1978174
>>
>>1978243
Explored* the sea
>>
File: Augustus-PontMax.jpg (51KB, 323x386px) Image search: [Google]
Augustus-PontMax.jpg
51KB, 323x386px
>christcucks unironically believe that Europe was some barren wasteland before their religion came along
>mfw
>>
i read that book and it wasn't really good at all lmao
>>
File: christian-nigeria-Reuters.jpg (44KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
christian-nigeria-Reuters.jpg
44KB, 475x356px
>>1978170
Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America are mostly Christian, so yes
>>
>>1978457
At least a few American protestants think like this.
>>
>>1978255
>Italy
>Europe
Europe in antiquity meant western Europe outside the Mediterranean when they were a bunch of mud hut dwelling uncivilized tree niggers
>>
>>1978170

No but it was a very important influence on the shape of Western and Modern society.
>>
>>1978457

Then why do I keep hearing that science started with the Scholastics, when they were themselves influenced by Aristotle, architecture started with building cathedrals, when churches are in fact nothing more than the continuation of the design of Roman royal palaces, art, music and literature started with church liturgy, when that too is based on Roman court ceremonies, and that the morality of the west owes everything to Christianity, when the Golden Rule was first spread in the Abrahamic tradition by rabbi Hillel, who lived a century before Jesus was even born?

I can keep going like this, but my point is that Christianity being solely responsible for Western civilization is demonstrably false. What we call western civilization is a large set of ideas and principles that were already well established before Christianity even existed. Therefore, the question that OP asks is completely stupid
>>
>he doesn't know about dialectical materialism
religion is LITERALLY irrelevant
>>
>>1978170
No.
Western civilization was already booming before Christianity came along.

>See: Ancient Rome & the Greek City States
>>
>>1978170
they only started getting successful when they ditched it

>inb4 whiny crusadercuck
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.