[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Like a lot of people, I find myself overwhelmed by the amount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1031869790.jpg (67KB, 705x375px) Image search: [Google]
1031869790.jpg
67KB, 705x375px
Like a lot of people, I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of info necessary to understand the current middle east conflicts. What are some good sources that would cover basics of the colonial middle east and 1948 to present?

These Kurdish cuties thank you for informing me of their people's struggle.
>>
File: 1454712356100.png (2MB, 1608x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1454712356100.png
2MB, 1608x1200px
>>
File: 1474101793496.jpg (1MB, 1338x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1474101793496.jpg
1MB, 1338x1050px
>>
Kurds are worse than Turks and that's saying something.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id39x_ltPXI
>>
>>1975253
>>1975257
>>1975259
>>1975262
I just want books and documentaries on the contemporary middle east, not Turkish /pol/ maymays.
>>
>>1975242
"Wer den Wind sät" by Michael Lüders is a good book on the topic. No idea if it has been translated
>>
>>1975288
I can speak a little German, probably not enough to read a book on ME history though. I'll look for a translation though thanks.
>>
>>1975319
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syygOaRlwNE
If you can get through his lecture, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1975253
>>1975257
This looks exactly like how Japanese talk about Koreans, i.e. 99% utter bullshit cherry picking that only retarded Japanese nationalists and weebs would believe.

This only confirms my suspicion that Turks and Japs are the same in mentality.
>>
>>1975242
You are asking how a fucking clock works. Are you looking for info on the current power blocks or what? Does North Africa need to be included.
>>
>>1975257
Nobody gives a shit about Kurds in Turkey
>>
>>1975375
>99% utter bullshit cherry picking

You mean like all these "white" kurd that keep getting posted?
>>
>>1975388
>You are asking how a fucking clock works
I'm totally aware, that's why I'm trying to ask people how to approach understanding, not just start buying random books on the ME and reading them.

I want some amount of background to contextualize the current conflicts, especially in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.
>>
>>1975253
>>1975257
>>1975259
Go suck Erdogans dick, Roach
>>
>>1975917
I'd say to start of broad then build up a better understanding of the region you're interested in. A good starting place might be 'A History of the Arab Peoples' by Albert Hourani. Although it starts off in pre-Islamic Arabia, the situation in the ME is so complex that you really do have to go back that far to even begin to understand it. Then I'd recommend some books on the Caliphates to understand the historical tension between the different ethnic groups and the breaking up of Islam into smaller sects (I'm reading a handy little book called 'The Caliphate' by Hugh Kennedy at the moment). Knowing about the Ottomans is also essential, The Ottoman Empire and Early Modern Europe (Goffman) might be good for that.
>>
>>1976394
Thanks dawg. Luckily I have a few weeks of not doing anything (recovering from major surgery), so I'll be able to dig right in.
>>
>>1975388
>You are asking how a fucking clock works.
The little tick-tick goes round and round. Sometimes it points at a number and goes "ding!" and that's when you need to get up.
>>
>>1976699
That's how a clock functions, not how it works.
>>
File: kurd.jpg (405KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kurd.jpg
405KB, 900x1200px
Roman Empire and Vikings were both Kurdish. These videos explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLguzeg3eo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ny0m349g70
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.