[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Democratic Peace Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 045-0615070636-obomba.jpg (62KB, 444x303px) Image search: [Google]
045-0615070636-obomba.jpg
62KB, 444x303px
Is it as BS as I suspect or does it have any validity? At the very least the holy crusade to convert the whole earth to liberalism isn't a peaceful process.
>>
>>1969130
Just like any political science theory, it's not inherently falsifiable or determinative of the future.

As for the extent as to which a layman political analyst/theorist should believe in the validity of the theory, I'd say that one should look at the chronological order y which the theory was developed.

Hint* The moral judgement came before the theoretical judgment.
>>
It depends on what you count as a conflict or not.

By the industry standard, if you will, it is thus far a valid as two democratic nations have yet to be in conflict with each other.

>holy crusades
>convert earth to liberalism

wat?
>>
>>1969160
>By the industry standard,

What does this even mean?

> if you will, it is thus far a valid as two democratic nations have yet to be in conflict with each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_between_democracies
>>
>>1969130

Read 'War and the Liberal Conscience', I know it sounds like a meme tier book, but it is a very serious source for war/international/security studies.
>>
>>1969173

How the current institutions see the situation, say SIPRI's definition of conflicts for example. According to the data two liberal democracies are yet to be in an armed conflict with each other, hence why the democratic peace theory is still valid.

Again, it depends on 1. How a democracy is defined and 2. How an armed conflict is defined.

Going back as far as the roman empire is an invalid argument, as the roman empire was not a liberal democracy.
>>
>>1969194
>Again, it depends on 1. How a democracy is defined and 2. How an armed conflict is defined.

So the whole theory is reliant on semantics?

>Going back as far as the roman empire is an invalid argument, as the roman empire was not a liberal democracy.

Ancient democracy existed regardless of whether the Roman Empire was a liberal democracy or not.
>>
>>1969214

It depends on who you ask, the mainstream approach is that it is still valid.
>>
>>1969160
>as two democratic nations have yet to be in conflict with each other.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargil_War
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 277x271px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 277x271px
>>1969227
>the mainstream approach is that it is still valid.
>>
No, /his/, Rome is not an example of liberal democracy

and Greece isn't either
>>
>>1969252
Liberal democracy was not the original term in the Democratic Peace Theory.
>>
It's a very small sample size. Many democracies were already allies, even before becoming democracies. IMHO, the DPT reflects the fact that common people do not prefer war.
>>
>>1969238

As I said, look it up and what their sources say. SIPRI is a great start.
>>
If one democracy wants to go to war with another democracy then the first nation just says the other nation isn't a true democracy.
>>
>>1969392
I've gathered it's a false theory but people like to play with semantics to pretend its true.
>>
>>1969315
That's not evidence of what you claim
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.