[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how do you know that there are other people in the world,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: René Dankartes.png (89KB, 310x216px) Image search: [Google]
René Dankartes.png
89KB, 310x216px
So how do you know that there are other people in the world, /his/? How do you know that they're not all just illusions set up by a deceitful god, and you're not the only thing in the world, or even the universe, with an intelligent, thinking mind?
>>
File: armor sloping.png (22KB, 1072x692px) Image search: [Google]
armor sloping.png
22KB, 1072x692px
The odds that a randomly generated simulation decrease exponentially with each new second of life.

And if it's a deceitful god, then logically I'm not alone. The people I interact with are manifestations of a sentient mind.

You see, you can describe the world around you in a probabilistic sense by looking for the largest internally consistent system of logic.
>>
>the largest internally consistent system of logic.

And what would that be?
>>
You're a Boltzmann brain that sprung into existence in the last 15 minutes. All of your memories from your mother coddling you to the last shit you took are false.
>>
>>1968746
Well, presumably for a person living in this reality, the notion that they are composed of atoms and live in a material world that follows the standard model of physics.

All of the evidence I have available seems to support that claim, meaning that it's more probable than the alternatives.
>>
>>1968730
>illusions set up by a deceitful god
Is this a bad thing? Sounds pretty awesome to me..
>>
>>1968752
But what is your evidence, and how can you call it evidence? Even the "standard model of physics" that you refer to could be another deception set in place by that deceitful god.
>>
File: Woah.gif (2MB, 480x274px) Image search: [Google]
Woah.gif
2MB, 480x274px
>>1968749
>>
>>1968730
Descartes had it right when he proved that he himself existed with the famous line "Cogito ergo sum." Unfortunately, his proof for the existence of other thinking beings was that the God whose existence he "proved" in his 3rd and 5th meditations is not a deceitful one. However, this is a problem when you don't buy into the existence of God.
>>
>>1968730
I don't know for sure, but the theory of other people existing around me and shaping reality to what I see is scientifically way more plausible than the idea of an illusion created by a supernatural being because that isn't falsifiable at all.
>>
Well, were it the case that solely I existed as a mind or consciousness of some sort, I cannot reason why there would be any form of language, or any representational forms of what I perceive to be reality.

Supposing I was just a floating consciousness, were I to encounter an unthinking object I would have no need to name it. I would simply understand the object as it is.
Language is when you want to publicly express yourself or make yourself understood- which isn't a necessity for a sole mind, even if you dreamt a universe of others you thought to be like yourself.

Of course one can say this cannot be known for sure, but I think it gives fair ground to consider there is in fact an external and thinking universe.
>>
I don't. But what good does contemplating it do anybody? This is why most philosophy is a fucking joke.
>>
>>1968776
If others have this same rational, don't they exist too?
Or is this the horse shit pretending to be on my level by having something completely rational happen?
What's the end game of making believe this is real if it isn't? When I completely freak out and believe it isn't reality, shouldn't the "deceitful God" give up?

If people in this world are my friends, and thus personalities created by a God who has the capacity of creating these personalities, then don't my friends still exist in the form of that God?
If I solely have rational thought and decision making, and exist as a person, but have no Godly powers, why create illusions just like me? What is the purpose of creating a single thinking human and constructing a world around them to make them feel they're not alone?
It doesn't make sense, all it does is give my anxiety attacks and stress me out. So why think about shit that doesn't make sense when it gives me that reaction?
FUCK, if this is a illusion created just for me, why would a deceitful God have it so that I get anxious and overtly believe what I hear when reality is questioned if he wants me to never doubt it?!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.