[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between an emperor and a king?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1392693256872.jpg (8KB, 206x214px) Image search: [Google]
1392693256872.jpg
8KB, 206x214px
What is the difference between an emperor and a king?
>>
>>1966105
An emperor is the King of Kings
>>
same as between an empire and a kingdom
>>
one WUZ
the other WUZ'NT
>>
>>1966105
>An emperor is the King of Kings
This, above all interests ruler of all.
>>
>>1966105
An emperor owns an empire, a king owns a kingdom.
>>
>>1966105
Generally, a king rules over a single entity, while an emperor rules over multiple entities. What is defined as an "entity" varys a lot,
>>
File: 1459216867_O2FXe07hRwg[1].jpg (118KB, 917x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459216867_O2FXe07hRwg[1].jpg
118KB, 917x960px
>>1966105
emperor requires 8000 prestige and I think like 3 kingdom titles
>>
>>1966134
it's very easily defined, just not put into words correctly but you know the difference between an empire and a kingdom.
>>
a king rules a bunch of tribes and an emperor a bunch of nations
>>
>>1966135
De jure empires were a mistake.
>>
>>1966116
>>1966126
/thread
>>
>>1966161
Agreed. Thankfully HIP mod removes de jure empires.
>>
>>1966138
The guy who wrote Eragon sure didn't.
>ethnically and linguistically homogenous, all used to be part of one kingdom
>The Empire
>>
>>1966105
Emperor = your country was taken over by that guy

King = your ruler
>>
>>1966105
Title really.

It gets fucking complicated when you go outside of Europe.
>>
Nominally nothing.
Politically, kingdoms are more "national" based. Also empires often involve subordination of other nations
>>
>>1966763
Also, a lot of things that really in no way were empires get the word applied to them. The Aztec Empire certainly wasn't one. Arguably neither was the Inca Empire. Even in Europe, was the HRE really an empire? (turn upside-down for the super secret answer: ǝdou)
>>
>>1966793
Yeah, nah.

My MA is on the phenomena of Empires. While shitloads of definition exists between historians, most agree that Empires are generally understood as a multicultiethnicwhatever non-pluralistic state possessing of an imperial "center" which rules said multi peripheries through a multitude of direct & indirect strategies.

Hence why we can call some entities as "imperial" no matter what their title (i.e. Kingdoms with imperial possessions) or disdain some Empires as non-empires (i.e. Japan, Vietnam).

It is, quite open to debate though so don't fight me on this.
>>
>>1966830
I'm not sure what, exactly, you're disagreeing with.

One could reasonably claim that none of the 'empires' I named fit the definition you just gave (the Aztecs being the least arguable case).
>>
>>1966830
What shitload of definitions exist? Like the very first anon said, it's "the king of kings".

The idea of empire arose when some conqueror conquered a bunch of kingdoms and ended up as a king of kings. Emperors used this exact title throughout the ages because that's what they were. Imperial heraldry often displayed a crown over another set of crowns.

Being the king of kings implies that you rule over multiple peoples and peripheries like you described.

The only problem with this definition is:
>it doesn't account for modern empire-crafting that does not rely as much on straight-up annexation
>the term "king" isn't always applicable, but who gives a damn
>>
>>1966105
Emperor is first and foremost a post-roman title (emperor from "imperator" and Kaiser/Tzar from Caesar) and have the same symbolic function as their roman predecessors: honour, prestige and authority.
An emperor is either a simply a given title and the title holder continues to rule over his personal realm like for example the Holy Roman Emperors or the the emperor has the exact same purpose as a king just with a fancy title.
Of course you have to distinguish between an empire that's called that way because it's ruled by an emperor (for example the HRE and Tzarist Russia) and an empire which follows this definition >>1966830
What also has to be noted is that any ruler who calls himself "emperor" usually if not always sees himself also as a successor to the legacy of Rome.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.