[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puritan appreciation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: edwards.jpg (33KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
edwards.jpg
33KB, 460x276px
Grossly underrated. Salem Witch Trials hurt their reputation, but they were not as dour as they are made out to be.
>>
The only good christfag is a catholic christfag, and that's just because of the aesthetic. Catholics have an actual interesting culture, centuries of tradition, and some pretty fucking good art, some of which still being pumped out by their currently-practicing members. Puritans haven't contributed any art that's worth anything, and as philosophers they stand out as the autists of their time. Puritan poetry is fucking garbage. I haven't heard of any Puritan architecture, painting, music, or anything, and I assume that's because it's all utterly unmemorable. So when puritans have nothing to offer philosophically, culturally, or politically, why the fuck should I even think about them as if they existed, let alone consider them "underrated" as you do?

I await your answer
>>
>>1958752

Have you read Jonathan Edwards? They laid the foundation of American literature and philosophy, especially Emerson and later, the Pragmatists.
I personally prefer their plain taste to the decadence of late Catholicism.

Not that it matters much. What art and philosophy did Sparta produce? Nothing, yet nevertheless, Sparta was the model society for many philosophers, from Plato to Rousseau.

I like the balance they achieved politically and socially. Have you read Winthrop's Model of Christian Charity? They created a political system that both respected individuals while always putting the community's needs first...a nice mix of democracy and aristocracy.
>>
>>1958870
I dont know, I found their poetry pretty terrible Its basically all self hate.
>>
Puritans' literacy is refreshing at times, but their entire worldview was an anxious, uncertain mess. So many things killed the puritans suddenly and meaninglessly so they adopted a worldview with this alien, foreign God that could not be understood, and it assumed that people are entirely sinful except when god puts his special god juice in them.

It must have been IMPOSSIBLE to reason with them. They cemented that fear of one's fellow man that causes crazed isolationism and stuff; they are an interesting bunch but I think they are not to be admired.
>>
>>1958752
Not OP but given that your taste in aesthetics is entirely a personal preference there's nothing to argue against. Furthermore the Puritans were only around for a little more than a century so it's not like they have a huge body of work to draw from. That isn't to say they didn't make cultural contributions, for example writers like Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote within the Puritan milieu and clergymen like Jonathan Edwards and John Winthrop exerted tremendous over American culture.
>>
>>1958919
>calvinists
>uncertain worldview

wew
>>
>>1958919
>Puritans believed in the absolute sovereignty of God.
And this is a problem why? When you realize that so much of the universe consists of things that could kill us at any given moment, the only rational belief systems are Calvinism or Atheism.
>>
>>1960422
The hate Calvinists get is undeserved. They've solved so many theological issues by doing away with free will. It's unfortunate that other sects are so busy jerking off about free will and the infinite good of God.
>>
File: Noice2.jpg (6KB, 192x165px) Image search: [Google]
Noice2.jpg
6KB, 192x165px
>Bounds were not set on enjoying sexuality within the bounds of marriage, as a gift from God.[55] In fact, spouses were disciplined if they did not perform their sexual marital duties,
>>
>>1958722
They were cunts. Especially John Winthrope.
>>
Puritans were pretty much the Christian Taliban. And that's a good thing.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.