[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point did Italians start being bad at war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: dago.jpg (22KB, 309x408px) Image search: [Google]
dago.jpg
22KB, 309x408px
Moreso than any other country Italy's military reputation has waxed and waned.

They were perhaps the first true Superpower and lead the world militarily and socially from Rome.

When Rome dissolved Italian mercenaries (especially the Genoese) were widely held to be crack troops that might make or break an entire campaign.

Even later than that, Italy still had reputation for martial prowess and some of the finest arms & armor in the world came from Milan.

But in modern conflicts they are comically inept.

In World War 1 they were hammered by the Ottoman Empire, which itself was the weakest link in the Triple Alliance. Their successful advances came only very late in the war and against an already ragged Austria.

Their performance in World War 2 could be its entire own thread with how poorly they performed at all levels. Highlights include losing a tank to Abyssinian spearmen and effectively forcing Germany to babysit them on every front.

Even today they are poor soldiers. Their contributions to the war in Afghanistan have been their own blooper reel at every level. Everything from bribing local tribes to not attack their patrols to calling in medivacs for stomach aches.

So.. What happened?

How did Italy go from being the standard every empire strives for (how many have claimed to be the New/Next Rome?) to a punchline?
>>
>>1958164
The Vandals fucked their shit up permanently, Venice tried to bring it back but ended up just dicking around.
>>
>>1958164
I don't but I found this guy and I think he's interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_B._Taliaferro
>>
Venice was a power within the Mediterranean for a while. I think once the Hapsburgs beat them, that was it for any kind of military projection from the region(s) of Italy.
>>
>>1958200
>William Booth Taliaferro (pronunciation Anglicized to "tah'-liver")

topkek how fucking wrong is that
>>
>>1958164
WW1 was mainly due to Luigi "every stereotype about Russian generals" Cadorna
>repeated human waves
>shooting his own retreating troops
>bringing decimation back to use on units that fail
>>
>>1958164
You forgot failing to invade Greece.

And as far as OP's question, the Italians after the Roman empire seemed much motivated when fighting each other than fighting foreigners.
>>
>>1958164
>So.. What happened?
They gambled their reputation away in a bid for expansion.
Italy was in no way equipped to fight on a level with colonial and continental empires in the 19th and 20th century (national disunity aside, nowhere near enough economic and demographic resources), yet they still tried to expand by climbing on the shoulders of allies. Sometimes it worked (when they chose the right allies), sometimes it didn't. Of course they always performed like shit, because they were massively overreaching themselves. But their performance was not the point, their allies' was.
It didn't even work bad.
>>
>>1958246
>topkek how fucking wrong is that
The Taliaferro/Tolliver of Virginia have actually been shilling their italo/american heritage since Jefferson's times. They even asked him to go look for their origins when he travelled to northern Italy in the 1780s.
>>
Italy had certain elite units but the average soldier was often a humble farmers boy with no particular motivation to go warring.
>>
File: 1474409934652.jpg (59KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
1474409934652.jpg
59KB, 600x608px
>>1958164
>At what point did Italians start being bad at war?
At what point were they ever good at war?

The Romans were good at war.
So good they conquered the tribes of the Italian peninsula (Umbrians, Latins, exc.) and forced them to provide men as tribute instead of gold.

The Romans trained the soldiers.
The Romans led the soldiers.
The Romans were good at war.
>>
>>1958510
I'd like to add: imagine being a farmer from the South and being called to arms to fight in the North, for a war that you don't understand and don't even support, of course you're going to perform poorly compared to the butthurt Friulans.

Also, I don't understand why Cadorna hasn't been publicly shamed in the Afterwar, they still name streets after him.
>>
>>1958164
I don't know the exact date but as early as the 16th century, Spain, France and Austria fought for the domination of Italy (which implies that Italians were too shitty to defend themselves against foreign rule)
>>
>>1958164
The Italians may be bad at war but the rest of the world is shit at food compared with 'em
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.