[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Swedish Empire really an empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Swedish_Pomerania.png (22KB, 224x301px) Image search: [Google]
Swedish_Pomerania.png
22KB, 224x301px
So /his/?
>>
>>1955229
/thread
>>
No, they were just returning to their usual tricks of raiding vulnerable settlements near the coast. The wasteland they created became their "territory" because no one wanted it. They were not empire builders who sought pax Scandinavica and eternal glory, the nords were too uncivilized and petty for that.
>>
>>1955210
it was an ugly blob
>>
yes, only empires can invade polan
>>
Was it's head-of-state the emperor? If not, it was not really an empire.
>>
>>1955210
Yes but 4chan likes to pretend it's not because they are butthurt /pol/-babbies
>>
File: 1468488752029.png (364KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1468488752029.png
364KB, 800x1000px
>>
File: 1473839336906.jpg (74KB, 691x780px) Image search: [Google]
1473839336906.jpg
74KB, 691x780px
>>1955229
>>1955234
>>1955242
>>1955543
>>1955674

you fucking bullies
>>
nope
>>
Contrary to popular opinion, I'd be willing to call the Kingdom of Sweden an empire.. Sweden held power over areas that were ethnically Scandinavian, German and Finno-Ugric, so the Kingdom of Sweden could be called multiethnic, i.e. an empire.
>>
>>1955210
It was a centralized multi-cultural state so yes, it was technically an empire.
>>
>>1955210
>rulers title is not emperor
Thus it's not an empire.
You could say that a country holds a colonial empire.
Like with France, Britain and Spain. But Britain could be only completely referred as an empire in my mind when Victoria was crowned Empress.
>>
>>1955210
Yes, though not for particularly long.
>>
No, it was a Kingdom?
>>
>held significant power over more then one ethnicity

yes
>>
>>1956201
>>1956206
Nope. Swedish "empire" means the time it was a great power in Europe, nothing more. Sweden was multiethnic from 1200s to 1809 but the "empire" lasted only from 1611 to 1721
>>
Perhaps in the technical sense because they had rulership over several kingdoms
But on the practical one, hell no, small population, mostly a wasteland and if you cut out finland and the northern baltics you can see is just sweden with a bunch of shit attached to it
>>
File: Marten's_Poltava.jpg (599KB, 1450x919px) Image search: [Google]
Marten's_Poltava.jpg
599KB, 1450x919px
>>1955210
They ruled over differnet subjugated ethnicities, fins, and germans, but weren't really an empire because the Monarch didn't have kings as vassals.

Napoleon was Emperor because Switzerland, Westphalia, Grand Duchy of Warsaw, Spain, and Italy were Grand Duchies, Republics, and Kingdoms that swore fealty to him, the emperor.

Finland was never really even a dutchy, let alone a kingdom. Was really just land with some Mongoloid people on it so it really doesn't count towards 'empire'.

However, the name stormaktstiden i think means 'great power' not 'empire' and comes from them ruling differnet ethnicities so in a sense empire is attached to the period because English doesn't really have a word that isn't empire for this.
>>
>>1958460
>didn't have kings as vassals

You think you're a sly one, but this is where your bait became too obvious, and I stopped reading.
>>
>>1958495
This desu
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.