[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Protestants so quick to criticize gold, frankincense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: ufg.jpg (51KB, 607x443px) Image search: [Google]
ufg.jpg
51KB, 607x443px
Why are Protestants so quick to criticize gold, frankincense and myrrh being used in worship, because it's too splendorous, yet have pretty much no holy ascetics who renounced wealth to speak of?

Explain. How can Protestants critique wealth used in worship, such as with vestments and chalices, yet none of them is willing to renounce all wealth like countless Orthodox Christians voluntarily have. How are you in any position to criticize wealth when you cling to it?
>>
I love Scully.

Also, the Orthodox part kind of only relates to monks.
>>
I would guess prosperity gospel.
>>
>>1948328
No, there have been plenty of non-monastic ascetics, they just tend to be more low key. Holy Fools are the best known ones. The novel "Laurus" is all about Holy Fools, it's a pretty good read.
>>
>>1948333
Can prosperity gospel really criticize splendorous worship, though?
>>
>>1948336
My idea was that it just makes it a lot harder to preach that the word of God will make you prosperous when you are standing around in sackcloth, penniless.
>>
>>1948339
True, but the OP is about how Protestants can criticize wealth in worship, without being willing to renounce their own wealth, or even having any notable examples of those from their own denominations who have done so.
>>
>>1948323
Can someone post that picture of a Russian Orthodox cleric emerging from a BMW?
>>
>>1948323
It seems to me that the Protestant move away from the elaborate worship ceremonies of Catholicism has less to do with giving away or accumulating personal wealth than an attempt to bring the service itself a closer focus on scripture. If I remember correctly, Martin Luther (a monk who gave away all of his possessions) found the ornate churches and elaborate liturgical rituals to be distracting from the real message, the gospel, and wanted to simplify.
There's a very established Protestant tradition of "living simply" (Amish, Mennonites, Puritans...), so it's not entirely accurate to say all Protestants "cling to their wealth"
>>
>>1948323
Why do you think all protestants are the same?
>>
>>1948323
ie the altar sanctify the gold.
>>
>>1948323
>Protestants... have pretty much no holy ascetics who renounced wealth to speak of?
I don't think that's true. I think you could consider a lot of the Pilgrim-type protestants (Quakers, Shakers, Amish, Mennonites etc.) to have lived (or live) in communities that practice asceticism as a basic foundation of their way of life.

Unless your definition of ascetic refers solely to the memers who just starve themselves and don't wear clothes or talk, because those are literally just people with serious mental disorders that others have chosen to put on a pedestal.
>>
>>1948366
>>1949952
Amish and so on live simply. They hardly live abjectly. They have a lot of land and material possessions.
>>
>>1951397
And out of what they do have, they refuse to pay taxes.
>>
>>1948351
Something that no one would give a second thought to if he were a Protestant.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.