[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WTF Happened to Detroit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3

No seriously, I have no idea how you go from the industrial heart of America to an urban wasteland.
>>
Outsourcing of jobs and white flight.
>>
>>1945058
This, niggers and Democratic party policies enabling their shit culture.
>>
>>1945048
Shitty unions
>>
>>1945048
Niggers.
>>
People are going to say niggers, but it's mostly from the BTFOing of the American auto industry. Americans like economic competition until someone comes along and does it better.
>>
>>1945058
>>1945077
>white flight
>niggers

Two sides of the same coin. Who would have guessed?

But deeper than these effects, the causes are a little deeper.

Detroit exists largely for one, singular reason. To design, market, make, and sell cars. Historically (at least in the post-Henry Ford era) that was the source of most of the wealth in that city.

There are huge neighborhoods of giant mansions built by car money, going all the way back to the dawn of that crucial industry.

(Detroit also had an earlier wave of pre-automotive industrialism, which is why so many skilled machinists happened to be there, but that's earlier than is needed for OP's question)

Even before the huge riots of '68, the automotive industry was changing. Foreign cars were actually becoming appealing to American buyers, and the United Auto Workers had reached a point where having a job as a living robot paid as well as many skilled trades.

The riots trigggered a demographic shift, certainly, but the jobs were still largely in tact. By the 1970's, Detroit (embodied by it's automotive industry) could not imagine a world where people wanted smaller, more fuel efficient cars, and were losing tons of money to things like the Volkswagen Bug, and all the Japanese shitboxes which were flooding the market. (this was before brands like Toyota and Subaru were recognized as legit carmakers, since they were still refining production techniques, eventually leading to brands like Lexus, etc.)

Meanwhile, the automotive headquarters were never really based in Detroit, itself. They relocated to the northern and western suburbs, bought the elections the local city councils to make laws favorable to them (since Detroit itself was large and historical and the politics were too firmly entrenched), and essentially leached money from the city itself.

Cont....
>>
>>1945048
Not funding the RoboCop project.
>>
>>1945086
>>1945077
/thread
>>
Didn't it fall apart because every single major industry just up and left?
>>
>>1945048
Blacks are the reason Detroit is hellish to live in.
>>
>>1945127
Cont...

At this time, real estate values were in free fall, automotive jobs were drying up (robots were coming into their own, but the unions were still offering cushy, decent paying jops that a literal retard could do (not to say that didn't also need skilled electricians, plumbers, and everything else to run an auto plant, and those things are fucking huge and complex).

The black families that moved to Detroit to enjoy these nice, newly abandoned homes suddenly found that work wasn't happening, and had no other skills. The property taxes were still high, municipal services were going to shit, the school system was going to shit, and the city council was like "fuck, we have a city that needs 3 million people to make it run effectively, except now we have less than 1 million actual taxpayers, about half of whom are below the poverty line." So they cut more services, made schools shittier, and so on.

TL; DR: Henry Ford spawned techno music.
>>
>>1945048

50 years of democrat rule will do that.
>>
>>1945147
>>1945077
>>1945132
If you think the outcomes of history are the same as it's causes, you are pretty dim
>>
>>1945155
>>1945085
>>1945123
These are more accurate. The UAW (plus lack of imagination by the auto industry itself) led to many decades without much innovation, and the Germans and Japanese really started to come in and out compete.
>>
>>1945165
If Detroit were purely white it would have a shit economy but since Detroit is mostly black it has a shit economy and is the most dangerous place in North America.
>>
>>1945137
The only industry in Detroit was automotive, and after a while it did become cheaper to manufacture cars elsewhere. Now we have Toyota plants in the US, and Ford Plants in Mexico. What a time to be alive.
>>
>>1945180
Ford is not even that good chysler is better
>>
>>1945179
I wasn't dissagreeing. Detroit is still largely a wasteland of despair and violence, and there are tons of black people who moved there with the idea they could get factory jobs. The factory jobs went away, and the crack boom had a huge effect in Detroit.

As much as I wanted Detroit to be "the most dangerous," it is St. Louis, this year, in a surprise upset. Detroit will be back on top soon enough, though.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/09/27/25-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/6/
>>
File: 1463652810642.jpg (45KB, 600x573px) Image search: [Google]
1463652810642.jpg
45KB, 600x573px
>>1945179

If white people lived in Detroit it would still be a violent shithole.

3. 2. 1.
>>
>>1945184
Chrysler is also barely a US company these days.
>>
capitalism
>>
>>1945193
>unions
>not being competitive
Wait, that doesn't' fit the marxist narrative at all...
>>
white flight is very important, it happeed in other rust belt situations

industry builds town-blacks move north for oprtunity and work- whites redline blacks into ghetos ad then begin to flee to the burbs- jobs dry up- black population left largely poor and stucjkk in a town whose infestructure was never intended for their income level
>>
>>1945189
Nice Dwight pic
>>
File: goodoldwhitedetroit.jpg (88KB, 432x334px) Image search: [Google]
goodoldwhitedetroit.jpg
88KB, 432x334px
>>1945189
Detroit didnt become violent until the nigger cancer from the South got there.
>>
>>1945211
>whites redline blacks into ghetos
Boy I wonder why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7zEibNcejA
>>
>>1945204
its hard to be competitave when the factory is sending jobs to china and mexico

i lived through parents losing jobs to this shit, my town has big empty factories and patches of concrete......and my parents lost out to people being payed 4-6$ a day
>>
>>1945234
how dense are you?
>>
Outsourcing of jobs and people refusing to adapt. It became impoverished which attracted a lot of minorities, gangs, drugs, violence, etc.
>>
>>1945048
>WTF Happened to Detroit?
A lot of factory jobs got outsourced.
>>
>>1945172
>le blame le unions meme
>>
>>1945280
Your retarded you know that
>>
>>1945245
>Not all blacks
http://www.newnation.org/

This site documents every hate crime blacks commit to random white people, read this you fucking cuck and realize these people are deranged psychotic savages.
>>
>>1945280

When parasites continually kill the host, people notice.
>>
I am so sad Detroit sucks now. I live across the river in Windsor and adore it's skyline, and the architecture of the downtown area is amazing, but I would of lived to see it in its heyday.
>>
>>1945295
>living in the one place shittier than Detroit
>is sad for Detroit
>>
>>1945127
>>1945151
>Someone actually posts a nuanced timeline of the interconnecting factors
>The only answers plebs can handle are "niggers lol", "unions lol", or "democrats lol"

Stay classy, /his/.
>>
>>1945326
Stay retarded anon
>>
>>1945287
Now do you have one for whites killing whites?
>>
>>1945285
>your
>management can't innovate their way out of a cardboard box
>believe Americans want gas guzzlers after the embargo
>give themselves millions in compensation

Meanwhile Toyota makes most of its cars in Japan when labor compensation in the US and Japan is pretty much the same, so keep blaming le unions.
>thinks
>>
>>1945422
Japanese companies don't really have unions though. The have this weird honor based system where they promise to take care of their workers for life as long as they're willing to put in 100 hour work weeks every once in a while.
>>
>>1945287
>cuck
aaaaaand opinion disreguarded
>>
It's worth pointing out that the Detroit auto industry still very much exists.

It just doesn't exist in Detroit.

It exists in a ring of suburbs around Detroit, that remain extremely wealthy and prosperous.

This happened largely because of a wave of blacks heading up from the South during the world wars looking for those factory jobs, being unable to break into any of the really good jobs, and getting shit on by the police.

The final straw was the Detroit PD raiding a bunch of illegal black bars.

Blacks in Detroit couldn't go to the white people bars, so they set up their own speakeasies. When those got raided while they were trying to drink off their wageslave jobs, you had riots that killed nearly as many people as the LA riots, with snipers taking potshots at the national guard and police summarily executing suspected shooters.

The one lesson I'd take from all of this is that the police can't really police themselves, and if the police department in a city no longer has soft social connections with a large amount of the community, law and order is going to disintegrate.

Something like the CCRB is really something that every city in the US should have.
>>
>>1945530
And CEOs only make a million or two a year, and the Japanese stock market is based on market share rather than quarterly returns.

I can't remember if it was Boeing or Lockheed, but I remember the boss had a similar idea, and he got really upset and felt betrayed when the workers unionized, because he felt and treated them like they were one big family.
>>
>>1945172
>lack of imagination

Is there any actual evidence of this?
>>
>>1945897
>can't remember if it was Boeing or Lockheed, but I remember the boss had a similar idea, and he got really upset and felt betrayed when the workers unionized, because he felt and treated them like they were one big family.

This never happened
>>
>>1945326
>I'm so firmly induldged in my own self-serving delusions that I can't accept when my political party does something wrong
Never change, lefties.
>>
>>1946253
I looked it up, it was Boeing in the 30's, although the account I told may not be very accurate because it's something I barely remember and I heard it from a different source with a different bias. Boeing did use the family analogy in their company publication to and tried to take care of their workers and involve them in the company to encourage loyalty.

Shop Traditions: Constructing and Maintaining the Boeing Family at the Boeing Company describes it.
>>
>>1945245
>responding to bait
>>
>>1945287
>cuck
I think you're on the wrong board, friendo
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1945048
niggers
>>
>>1945402
Yes its called the MAINSTREAM MEDIA.
>>
>>1945295
uwin student here, I have to agree with this anon. Detroit's nicer areas a fucking beautiful.
>>
>>1945874
I'm from Florida, I visited Southeastern Michigan (primarily Jackson and Warren) for the first time last winter. After hearing all about how much manufacturing left Detroit, I was amazed how much manufacturing goes on compared to the part of the country I'm from. Yes, tons of beautiful buildings are in ruin and tons of jobs are gone, but the amount of auto plants and manufacturing plants for everyday products amazed me. Y'all still make shit. However I was also amazed by the seemingly widespread mentality of the middle/working class white people in that area that never even consider higher education for themselves or their children. They think that normal people still work down at the plant after graduating high school and that college is for egghead fags. It's like they don't know that careers behind working on an assembley line exist, guess it goes to show how much a single industry region Metro Detroit was and still is.
>>
>>1947157
Careers beyond working on an assembly line*
>>
Car manufacturing moved to Mexico.
>>
>>1945048
US imperialism in Asia transferring their (steel, manufacturing etc) operations to Asia
>>
>>1947514
But now we have Trump
>>
From an aussie, how bad actually is Detroit? Is it like a harlem slum bad or like poo in the loo slum bad
>>
>>1947864
Like whites built a city, abonded it, and shoved blacks in it just to see what happens bad.
>>
>>1946263
>I believe political parties are all powerful and able to control complex, multidimensional, and international currents
Shit, if you think Government can do fucking anything, why WOULDN'T you vote for big government?
>>
>>1945151
Ty sir
>>
>>1945287
Off yourself
>>
>>1947864
>From an aussie, how bad actually is Detroit? Is it like a harlem slum bad or like poo in the loo slum bad

As an aussie, what do you know about either of those things?

Anyway, Detroit is nothing like Harlem and it's nothing like India. It's mostly just abandoned and depressing.
>>
>>1947852

lol
>>
>only one post mentioning techno music

Is techno still popular in Detroit beyond white hipsters and music geeks who come every year for techno festivals?
>>
>>1945179
>Most dangerous place in America

Nice fucking meme, South Chicago is significantly worse.
>>
>>1948477
*When it comes to murders
>>
>>1947852
China buttfucked steel prices low.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.