[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unique Battles in History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 23

File: Battle on the ICe.jpg (51KB, 595x307px) Image search: [Google]
Battle on the ICe.jpg
51KB, 595x307px
What are some of history's unique battles
>That is fucking stupid OP, all battles are unique.
Yes yes, but I am talking about unique in the sense of the terrain where it was fought, conditions when it was fought in, composition of troop types, or others as opposed to just what happened in strategy and tactics.

I dunno if I'm being clear but basically battles that go beyond meme field battle/siege battle/naval battle.

Pic related. A battle on a frozen lake,
>>
Ww1 dog fighting. Unique cause first time the sky was a battlefield. I think.
>>
File: _82824660_ittercdamage.jpg (45KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_82824660_ittercdamage.jpg
45KB, 624x351px
>>1940586

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter

You could literally make a dark comedy out of this

>Troops of the 23rd Tank Battalion of the 12th Armored Division of the US XXI Corps led by Captain John C. "Jack" Lee, Jr., a number of Wehrmacht soldiers, a Waffen SS officer who defected, and recently freed French POWs defended Castle Itter against an attacking force from the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division until relief from the American 142nd Infantry Regiment of the 36th Division of XXI Corps arrived.

The French prisoners included former prime ministers, generals and a tennis star. It may have been the only battle in the war in which Americans and Germans fought side-by-side. Popular accounts of the battle have called it the "strangest" battle of World War II.
>>
File: Riverine Battle.jpg (340KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Riverine Battle.jpg
340KB, 1920x1080px
>>1940586
Everytime the Chinese fought on the Yangzte & Yellow Rivers.

The two rivers are amongst the biggest rivers of their kind in terms of diameter (thickness? width) and depth. Basically you can sail a fleet of ships there. They still do.

In Chinese history, every time an army tries to cross the river, they needed ships to do this. And a lot of times this leads to the enemy army hearing wind of this and goes out to intercept them, with their own army & navy.

What happens next is a combo of naval & land battles. Amphibious warfare basically. You had the opposing armies lining the shores of the river and between them their navies. The navy dukes it out first on the river or fights the enemy navy while troopships and ferries try to ferry their troops to the other bank...only to fight those guys on the other bank.

Riverine amphibious combat had a huge influence on the Chinese naval thinking: among them their propensity to put artillery on ships and focus on bombardment rather than rely on meme boarding like compared to many other peoples of the world. This was largely done to support troop landings and attack shore-based fortifications, but eventually proved handy versus other ships. Also led to them being the first entities to put cannons on ships.

The most famous of the riverine amphibious battles of course was Red Cliffs during the Three Kingdoms period. The biggest and the worst was the battle of Lake Poyang between the Ming Dynasty and enemy claimants to the throne, which really was a running Amphibious battle across the Yangtze that ended in the lake, involving around 400,000-600,000 soldiers and sailors. Which was also unique because the battle is basically a combination of Amphibious & Siege warfare as the Ming Navy's objective was to ferry soldiers to relieve the siege of Nanchang.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hemmingstedt

A bunch of farmer militia defeat a large mercenary army which was almost ten times larger by drowning many of them
>>
I would say the battle of marj dabiq where the ottomans using cannons and guns decisively beat the mamelukes which were still fighting traditionally with horse archers and heavy cavalry.
It really was a clash of the old against the new.
>>
>>1940612
Sounds like the plot of a Tarantino movie.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussite_Wars

Just look up any random battle from this. It was basically peasants btfoing armoured knights with 1:10 numbers.
Tactically, it saw the introduction of wagon forts and first massive use of gunpowder in the region.
>>
>>1940759
Also while i'm at it, two funny moments in Czech war history

During the siege of Milano in 1158, Czechs decided to use their Italian reputation as savage barbarians, so they baked a doll looking like a baby and ate it publicly outside the walls while dancing around the fire and whatnot. When the besiegers breached the walls later, lots of Milanese soldiers were so scared of "cannibal barbarians" that they massively ran towards the German forces, letting themselves be captured just so they won't fall in Bohemian hands.

Similary, in 1919, when WW1 was ending, Czechoslovakia had war with Hungary over some border disputes. CZSK was supported by France. During one battle, where Czechs were outnumbered, one captian thought of a kekworthy plan.
First, he sent some spies behind enemy lines to spread the rumors of France sending Senegali soldiers for Czech help. Then, he ordered few Czech lads to smirk some coal on their face and drive through railways, speaking Senegalese. Since none of them spoke Senegalese, they literally just did "ooga booga" and mentioned the word Senegal a few times.
Word got out, and when the battle finally happened, Hungarians massively ran towards Czechs, letting themselves be captured, or jumped to the river, just so they wouldn't be captured by alledged savage niggers.
>>
>>1940759
>It was basically peasants
and hussite nobility
>>
>>1940787
Most used weapons after hand cannon were agriculture tools with nails hammered in them.
>>
>>1940792
>Most
Source please.
> agriculture tools with nails hammered in them.
You don't even know, how that "agricultural tool" is called. I see, we have the real expert here. You probably saw this in one meme picture, where peasant wearing raschel sack is killing knight with flail.
>>
>>1940867
>Source please.
Literally any contemporary or later literature.

I don't know how is "sudlice" in English, and i'm too lazy to google it. But they used basically anything that could smash some heads from two meter tall wagon.
>>
>>1940867
... or he (just like me) is from Czech republic and has been learning about this period almost every year because it's the best we have ever done and doesn't know the english words for those tools since that is a very specific thing to learn.
Just maybe.
>>
>>1940689
Neato! Never heard of it before.
>>
Battle of the Pyramids ?
>>
>>1940876
>sudlice in English
voulge
>>
File: benderneat.jpg (13KB, 300x294px) Image search: [Google]
benderneat.jpg
13KB, 300x294px
>>1940654
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lake_Poyang
>>
>>1940891
>doesn't know the english
That's what dictionaries are for
>>1940876
>"sudlice"
My point. They used shitload of pole arms, crossbows, firearms. Not some shitty meme weapons. I mean, mace/flail/other with nails would be pretty useless against armored opponent. You know, impossible to penetrate anything. Improvised by some? Sure. But not standard.
>or he (just like me) is from Czech republic and has been learning about this period almost every year.
Doesn't mean you are right. Teachers in schools often know shit.
As a Pole i had (not)pleasure to be taught, that battle of Grunwald was won thanks to peasants. Probably thanks to old movies and some paintings(<---). Of course it would be quite hard to see any peasants in full cavalry battle.
Hussities did amazing jobs in battles. But it wasn't "le peasants with forks vs knights" thing.
>>
>>1940876
>sudlice
Sudlice je normalni drevcova zbran.
>>
>>1940792
>Most used weapons after hand cannon
Nejpouzivanejsi zbrani husitu nebyly rucnice.
>>
>>1941435
... a drevcove zbrane byly obecne nejrozsirenejsimi zbranemi (nejen) stredoveku. Takze zadny dukaz nejakeho Noble Hussite Peasants 4 Lyfe (tm)
>>
>>1941295
this offends me
>>
Battle of Tannenberg wasn't that interesting for a battle but the start was pretty hilarious
>Polish-Lithuania has bigger army
>Teutonic knights have been trolling both for decades
>Teutonic knights have a chance to attack them before they prepare but don't because they want PL to attack and they want to defend. (probably would've won if they did attack)
>Poles also want to defend so they get ready and wait
>Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order sends over the two biggest loudmouths in his army to verbally berate the PL King
>It works and PL attacks
>Teutonic Knights get curbstomped
>>
>>1940586
When Prince Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod was faced with an invasion from the Teutonic Knights in present-day Estonia, he chose for a battlefield the frozen Lake Peipus. The slippery surface made fighting difficult for the Teutonic Knights, and after several hours of fighting they were forced to retreat. However, the warmer spring weather had made the ice weak, and when the knights moved back across the lake they crashed through, with hundreds of them drowning.
>>
File: Mebion_Cymru.jpg (129KB, 736x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Mebion_Cymru.jpg
129KB, 736x1002px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bryn_Glas

>At some stage, contingents of Welsh archers in Mortimer's army defected, and loosed arrows against their former comrades. It is not known whether their defection was planned in advance, or whether they chose to back Glyndwr in the middle of the battle as the likely winner. Their action contributed to the confusion of Mortimer's army(English) which, attacked from the steep slopes above, and from their flank and rear, was destroyed.

>He actually thought recruiting Welsh archers to fight Welsh rebels in Wales was a good idea
>>
File: Dai Hong Dan.png (119KB, 319x582px) Image search: [Google]
Dai Hong Dan.png
119KB, 319x582px
>>1940586

>I hate you America
>I hate you North Korea
>Oh shit, pirates!
>Let's team up!
>>
>>1940586
the 1948 Kashmir conflict was pretty unique because both sides were using equipment that wasn't designed for high altitude warfare.

The Indians for example took a pass by driving m3 stuarts up it and the pakistanis abandoned it because they didn't have AT weaponry.
>>
File: capturing Belgrade.png (320KB, 970x2445px) Image search: [Google]
capturing Belgrade.png
320KB, 970x2445px
>>1940586

>Get bored
>Bullshit a capital city into surrendering to you and a squad of your men
>>
File: Rused Russian Face.jpg (73KB, 376x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rused Russian Face.jpg
73KB, 376x600px
>In early August 1942, a Brandenburger unit of 62 Baltic and Sudeten Germans led by Adrian von Fölkersam penetrated farther into enemy territory than any other German unit. They had been ordered to seize and secure the vital Maikop oilfields. Disguised as men of the dreaded Soviet security police, the NKVD, and driving Soviet trucks, Fölkersam's unit passed through the Soviet front lines and moved deep into hostile territory. The Brandenburgers ran into a large group of Red Army deserters fleeing from the front. Fölkersam saw an opportunity to use them to the unit's advantage. By persuading them to return to the Soviet cause, he was able to join with them and move almost at will through the Russian lines.

>Operating under the false identity of NKVD Major Truchin, based in Stalingrad, Fölkersam explained his role in recovering the deserters to the Soviet commander in charge of Maikop's defences. The commander not only believed Fölkersam, but the next day gave him a personal tour of the city's defenses. By August 8, the German spearheads were only 12 miles away and the Brandenburgers made their move. Using grenades to simulate an artillery attack, they knocked out the military communications centre for the city. Fölkersam then went to the Russian defenders and told them that a withdrawal was taking place. Having seen Fölkersam with their commander and lacking any communications to rebut or confirm his statement, the Soviets began to evacuate Maikop. The German spearhead entered the city without a fight on August 9, 1942.
>>
>>1942033
sneaky beaky
>>
>>1942022
The DPRK news article on this is actually really cool, in that they actually praise the US.
https://web.archive.org/web/20071111165623/http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2007/200711/news11/09.htm
>>
>>1940772
>senegali
I remember a similar(opposite) story from the macedonian front of WWI. The bulgarian conscripts, who'd never seen or heard about blacks before, captured some senegalese and thought that the blackness was some form of camo and tried to scrub the "paint" off with mixed to negative results.
>>
>Not posting the battle on the ice
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_the_Ice
A battle fought by the master memers the teutonic knights in a frozen lake.
>>
>>1940586
Anything with Gordon highlanders
>>
>>1941843
Why the fucking krautards even thought it's a good idea to fight on a frozen lake?
>>
>>1941786
kek
>>
File: siachen-glacier-alignthoughts1.jpg (18KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
siachen-glacier-alignthoughts1.jpg
18KB, 1000x750px
Operation Meghdoot was a ground battle fought at roughly the same altitude as the average WW2 dogfight. Most of the Indian soldiers deployed had trained in fucking Antarctica because that was the best thing they could find to simulate the Siachen glacier. It was triggered by Pakistan buying a shitload of winter gear from a British shop. The same shop India used. By the time the Pakis realized what happened India had conquered 1,000 square miles.

Since then well over 2,700 soldiers have died, mostly from avalanches and altitude sickness. It is so high up that fighting is just not possible without oxygen equipment.
>>
>>1940612
Sounds rad as fuck my dude.
>>
File: isaacbrock.jpg (31KB, 388x480px) Image search: [Google]
isaacbrock.jpg
31KB, 388x480px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Detroit

>The Siege of Detroit, also known as the Surrender of Detroit, or the Battle of Fort Detroit, was an early engagement in the Anglo-American War of 1812. A British force under Major General Isaac Brock with Native American allies under the Shawnee leader, Tecumseh, used bluff and deception to intimidate the American Brigadier General William Hull into surrendering the fort and town of Detroit, Michigan, and a dispirited army which nevertheless outnumbered the victorious British and Native Americans.

>pic related, Major General Sir Isaac Brock, the Hero of Upper Canada
>>
File: brockmemorial.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
brockmemorial.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>1943574
excerpts from "A Narrative of a Light Company Soldier's Service in the Forty-First Regiment of Foot (1807-1814)"

>After awhile an officer came from the fort with a flag of truce; General Brock came up to meet the flag of truce, with his attendants to the advance. I was on the advance with the general at the time, and from what we could hear, the officer wanted three days' cessation; to which the general replied, that if they did not yield in three hours, he would blow up every one of them. The officer went back with this message, and returned very soon with authority to surrender the fort; the enemy, shortly after, marched out of the fort and laid down their arms, and we marched in.

>Our general was very much beloved; he used to come out and talk very familiarly with us.
>>
File: 1446433466039.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1446433466039.png
8KB, 400x400px
>>1941786
lmao
>>
>>1942022
>>1942222
I didnt know this ever happened, interesting
>>
>>1943217
>To what end?
>>
>>1941430

>he thinks that you kill an armoured my by penetrate the armour
>not by stabbing him in a gap or smashing the armour
>>
>>1941843
>>1942583
>>1942604

>implying it actually happened that way, if at all
>>
>>1943905

To get a few thousand more square miles of clay and to give your main political rival the finger.
>>
>>1943981
>what are AP rounds
>>
>>1940612
Why isn't this a movie? This sounds like gold.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cottage
Allied forces invade an uninhabited island and take 309 casualties
>>
>>1944015
because they would have to portray ww2 era germans in a positive light.
>>
>>1940772
So it's confirmed, Geralt = Poland and Czech Republic = Dandelion.
>>
File: Kettle war.png (28KB, 317x315px) Image search: [Google]
Kettle war.png
28KB, 317x315px
>>
>>1944276
never forget hypothetical soup
>>
>>1940612
Sabaton made a song about this, didn't they?
>>
File: Austrians.png (87KB, 1152x460px) Image search: [Google]
Austrians.png
87KB, 1152x460px
>>1944284
Yeah they did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2IkYbciFo
>>
>>1942033
The guy who rused himself into conquering Belgrade was pretty based too.
>>
>>1940586
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hemmingstedt

This has to be the dumbest shit I've ever read in my fucking life.
>>
>>1942583
Isn't it meme battle? I mean, Nevsky indeed won that one, but whole ice crashing thing is bullshit. Old sources talk about only few causalities.
>Knights gather pillaging party and they did not expect any resistance
>Nevsky ambushes them
>Fight starts, knights don't know enemy numbers and decide to fall back
>Whole two order knights are captured
>Nevsky returned with good news
>I btfo whole army
>When why have you so few prisoners and booty?
>Fuck, didn't expect that on.. I mean yes, uh, that's obvious, ehh... THEY DID DROWN. Yes. Exactly that. What I shame. I would love to take handful of prisoners, but it's hard to take them from the bottom of the lake.
>>
>>1942583
Are you dense? That's litteraly what OP picked as an example
>>
>>1944350

>>1942028
>>
>>1940759
>Hussite wars
>Not mentioning the battle of Domažlice

You won't find other battle when numerically inferiour force defeats an entire ~100k men strong crusade by fucking song
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Domažlice
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Brandenburg

Not exactly a battle.

But basically a small pack of Lithuanian niggers and some Poles raided HRE for a month without meeting any resistance and in the end Poles killed Lithuanian commander over the sheer savagery of pagans.

>On February 10, 1326, David of Hrodna led 1200 Lithuanian men to join the Polish forces.[2] The joint army looted and robbed Frankfurt,[9] Berlin,[14] and surrounding territories. Thus, the pagans reached Central Europe and struck the Holy Roman Empire which shocked western rulers.[7] Not meeting any organized resistance, they plundered churches and monasteries for about a month. Reportedly, they took 6,000 prisoners as slaves and much booty. The loot was large enough to allow Samogitian duke Margiris to pay 20,000 florins to King John of Bohemia when he raided Medvėgalis in 1329.[15] German chronicles, including Nikolaus von Jeroschin, vividly described atrocities committed by the invaders. They were particularly scandalized by pagan Lithuanians who showed no respect for Christian symbols, establishments, or personnel.[7] Reportedly distraught by Lithuanian cruelty,[16] Masurian nobleman Andrew Gost ambushed and killed David of Hrodna and their way back to Lithuania.
>>
>>1944745
Lithuanians were always niggers it seems.
>>
File: 8f1cc9dd15560b7fb97b7bba3e5361eb.jpg (341KB, 930x1225px) Image search: [Google]
8f1cc9dd15560b7fb97b7bba3e5361eb.jpg
341KB, 930x1225px
>>1940759
FUCK YEAH!
>>
Im too lazy to look up the battle or find a picture but there was some crusade seige where a muslim army destroyed a christan fortress with sappers by digging underground and burning the supports after the digging. The christan leader was also some little kid.
>>
There was a battle where they ran out of ammo so started slinging shit. Forgot the name.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
>>1945431
It was the battle of Jacobs Ford. Here is a wikipeida link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jacob%27s_Ford
>>
>>1944031
But you get both sides of it. Muh clean Wehrmacht and muh evil villainous SS Nazis.
>>
>>1940612
> Zvonimir Čučković,
>>
>>1942022
based
>>
>>1943574
>>1943600

fuck, thats funny
>>
>>1941430
>Maces
>Useless against armored opponents

kek
>>
File: Ancient Chinese Riverine Combat.png (70KB, 1878x307px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Chinese Riverine Combat.png
70KB, 1878x307px
>>1940654
Now that's a screencap if I ever saw one. Neat shit, anon.
>>
Just came across this in another thread.

Relevant here.

>France was always more focused on land warfare so their navy never got the money it needed to reach its full potential.

>But they took out an entire fleet with a cavalry charge once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_the_Dutch_fleet_at_Den_Helder
>>
File: 1403267587524.gif (894KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1403267587524.gif
894KB, 320x213px
>>1946085
>mfw reading "But they took out an entire fleet with a cavalry charge"
>>
File: Canadaraidsm.png (546KB, 800x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Canadaraidsm.png
546KB, 800x2000px
>>1940586
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids
Not really interesting as battles, but a society of Irish-Americans decided they would take Canada and then trade it back to Britain for Ireland's independence.

It didn't work.
>>
>>1945545
First of all, I wrote:
>maces with nails
>with nails
>nails
Having pointy things on blunt weapon... uh... Kinda makes them not-blunt.
Also, Hussite Wars were fought in 15th century, where armors were good enough to make any mace useless. By that time maces were used as ceremonial weapons and in battle were replaced by war hammers and similar.

So, not only you lack the ability to read with understanding what you read, also your knowledge is based on video games. Shame on you.
>>
>>1946606
That was probably the Dutch's reaction when they learned their navy was captured by fucking cavalry.
>>
>>1946085
Fuck, beat me to it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161102-194635.jpg (680KB, 621x1878px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161102-194635.jpg
680KB, 621x1878px
>>1944359
I still think this battle takes the cake for the dumbest shit I've ever read. It literally played out like a 10 year old playing a Total War battle for the first time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret
>be King Peter II
>have an army that outnumbers the attacking enemy over 10 to 1
>loyal and experienced advisor tells him to use javelins and arrows against the advancing enemy in a defensive position
>"But that is unknightly and dishonorable!"
>he takes off his royal armor so he has the appearance of a common soldier
>personally leads a direct charge against the enemy like a complete dumbass
>gets immediately dismounted
>"Wait! Don't kill me, I'm the king!!! It was just a prank bro! "
>they kill him on the spot
>his entire army routes and gets slaughtered
>>
EMU
M
U
>>
>>1941786
Noice. Also, Battle on the Ice
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.