[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If we assume that time is cyclical, and that the universe has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1476414603760.gif (82KB, 494x332px) Image search: [Google]
1476414603760.gif
82KB, 494x332px
If we assume that time is cyclical, and that the universe has been created in a big bang and died in heat death countless times, then reincarnation essentially becomes inevitable, right?

"To our amazement we suddenly exist, after having for countless millennia not existed; in a short while we will again not exist, also for countless millennia. That cannot be right, says the heart..."

I will die and turn to dust. That dust, what was once me, will pass eons in the blink of an eye, just as I did before I was born, and sooner or later, in one form or another, my dust will awaken, and become something that will be just as natural to me as what I am now.
>>
>>1939668
It's okay buddy we are all here with you.
>>
>>1939668

Welcome to thousands of years ago. This is literally the reasoning that lead to Stoicism.
>>
>>1939898
>>1939668
And it's what Nietzsche's Eternal Returns cribs from iirc.
The you that wakes up isn't the you of now, though.
>>
>>1939668
except when you reform you won't have any of the memories from this time, likewise we have no memories from previous lives
>>
>>1939668
>if we assume.
>>
>>1939898
>>1939909
>>1939917

I'm aware that I will not have any memories from this life. But whatever kernel is really me will be alive again.

What impresses me most about this is the immediacy of it all. The very moment I die, I will lose all reckoning of time, until my kernel achieves form such that I am able to. The amount of time that passes between these two occurrences might be unfathomable, but to me it would appear to happen in an instant.

So we have to conclude that the entire universe is alive, all at once, don't we?
>>
File: 1349901113752.gif (1006KB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
1349901113752.gif
1006KB, 260x187px
>>1939668
>>
File: 1468011382740.png (145KB, 398x377px) Image search: [Google]
1468011382740.png
145KB, 398x377px
>tfw time starts to reverse and suddenly you're making hamburgers out of turds
>>
The law of biogenesis says you won't. Life doesn't come from non life material anymore. Abiogenesis that happen hundreds of millions of years ago cannot happen today.
>>
File: 1464390186899.gif (2MB, 696x478px) Image search: [Google]
1464390186899.gif
2MB, 696x478px
>your life has repeated itself endless amount of times
Why is the universe so cold and dark?
>>
>>1942186
>The law of biogenesis says you won't.

I know this is a thread about a thought experiment but still

>human knowledge
>infallible and valid forever

Pick one
>>
>>1939668
>then reincarnation essentially becomes inevitable, right?

Not really. Entirely new atoms would come to compose new people, but there's no reason to think that they'd just be a repeat of us, or even if they were the same as us, sharing the same continuity of consciousness.

Unless you're some manner of dualist; if there's some sort of Spinozaist universal thought that permeates the universe that we're all offshoots of, we could very well reincarnate.
>>
>>1942186
It happened once before, why not again? We've had proteins develop from amino acids in lab conditions, what's to say the next step in that process can't occur?
>>
>>1939668
In any endless universe of endless possibilities everything has and will happened. Every minute difference, and it just depends on how you evaluate it. You have and will be with your loved ones forever, eternally repeating the same way, or better or worse.

I'm always struck by it when I sit down and think about how this current existence is endlessly barreling ahead, and loss is only change and progression; it was foolish to ever believe that this life was going to be the same from start to finish
>>
>>1942200

I'm not assuming I will be myself again as I am now. I could be a bug or an alien or something completely unknowable. Whatever consists of me, the "kernel", has come to life at least once, that much I know. And when I die I will lose perception of time until that kernel achieves life again, in whatever form, and I will be alive once more. To "me" this may as well happen the very moment I die, but who knows how much time passes in between.
>>
>>1942186

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, or maybe you're not reading carefully. Life continues because living beings reproduce, but we are all literally made of non-living material and we will all return to being non-living material when we die.
>>
>>1942187

Your life as it is now does not repeat eternally. But you are eternally alive, because when you die, all perception of time is lost until your kernel (whatever you are at heart right now) by chance finds itself as the nucleus of a living being. You do not remember your past lives, but you do not remember the eons you spent in the void, either.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.