[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History involved jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (52KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 500x366px
Are any of you /his/ fags working in the field of history and humanities? If so how much do you make? How much schooling did you have to do? What does it entail? And finally how much dick did you have to suck to get it?

It's a field that I'm intrested in getting into, since i love it, but I've been convicted out of it by everyone around me. I live in Canada and appeantly there is no jobs in that field for me up here. I also have been told you have to know someone to get in.
>>
File: d8b.png (269KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
d8b.png
269KB, 538x538px
Do you have a post doc? No?
>pic related
>>
>>1937294
No, just getting started in college.

Into the trash I go....

What do you? Anything involved in history?
>>
>>1937302
haha, no way. I'm political science but I switched out of history when I figured out there were no jobs there. If I recall correctly, the only stuff available is teaching, some stuff at museums, and some highly specialized bullshit. Basically since the market is saturated with history degrees, employers generally take those who have either distinguished themselves in some way or have the most degrees. Same as every other field, just 100x worse due to the severe over saturation.
>>
>>1937302
I'm in the states by the way.
>>
>>1937313
That's why I've been basically told by everyone else. You either teach which shit pay, go to a museum with shit pay, or become hyper specialized or suck a fuckton of dick In order to get a high paying job. That's sucks.

Well...uhh....what's political science like?
>>
I majored in history. Don't plan on getting a historian related job and the degree is completely worthless.
>>
>>1937327
I lied, I am actually doing Political Science + Computer Science integrated major. Its a special program my university offers. Basically the perks of both in one self-designed major. I'm not too worried about getting a job, CS jobs pay pretty high and I live in the Triangle. Even a shitty CS job would be better than most. PS is my passion, thus why I'm on /his/ but my ability to get a well paying job in that field is slim. Not as slim as history, but I'll probably have to go to grad school if I want to do anything PS related in the future. Which I might.

And you friend? What do you study?
>>
>>1937335
Had depression during high school so most of my grades are shit. Ended up doing environmental tech cause I though it would be more environmentally focused. It's not. It's fucking heavily focused on chem which I'm just shit at.

I've been trying to keep up but I just can't. I simply can't do this shit, which is why I was hoping to get into something else, like history, but of course that won't happen.
>>
>>1937351
In America if your high school grades are shit you just go to community college/trade school. If the former, then transfer to a big uni after two years. If the latter, bam instant job. Yeah, I actually switched out of CS into this program because CS is so math heavy and this way I get to bypass those classes. You should be become like a botanist or a horticulturalist or something. I know some of the bigger gardens/vaults do internships. But I've only heard that through the grapevine. No experience in that sort of things myself. I have a friend from PS who graduated and then became obsessed with cactuses. Look into that if it is something that interests you.
>>
Does cognitive science count as /his/ related? Its what I'm declared major of. Doing general education right now and haven't started courses on the major yet. Am I making a mistake?
>>
>>1937355
That might actually. It would satisfy my love of biology, and would tickles enough of my history fancy with the history of the plant.

Shit man now I'm actually intrested. Do you know what you need for botany?
>>
>>1937364
The more I think about it, algae and lichens would be cool. Cactuses are also fucking dope. Hell invasive spiecies would be a good field too.
>>
>>1937364
Well, he has nothing more than a PS degree. Bu then again, he is working a minimum wage go-nowhere job. His internship thing is more of a flight of fancy than anything else. But it has legs. My advice to you is to search out for botanical gardens in your locality. They usually have a bunch per state down here. Then once you've found a bunch, talk to them about what they're looking for. They probably want bio degrees, but that's just my guess. You might be able to snag a bottom-of-the-ladder job, but its something if you're interested in that. Just don't let work kill pleasure, ya dig?
>>
>>1937368
Thanks man. There aren't many small ones up here in Canada. Seems to be one large one here in Ontario, the royal bertanicel gardens, but Ill have to see.

I wouldn't mind starting low teir working in floral shops and what not, as long as I could move up later with the expierience. I think it would be cool, espically since I don't think it would involve math/chem a lot.

Thanks man, truly. I'm also gonna go to bed soon, so I guess what ever happens to the thread happens. I'll check in maybe like once or twice but we will see.
>>
>>1937400
Local floral shop would be good. Shitty minimum wage, but maybe that isn't so bad in canadaland. Biology if I recall correctly does require some chemistry but I don't know. Talk to your academic adviser. Good luck and good night.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.