[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the best punishment system in History that could be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: fGlrC7J.jpg (63KB, 705x506px) Image search: [Google]
fGlrC7J.jpg
63KB, 705x506px
What was the best punishment system in History that could be used today?

Imprisonment is retarded for 90% of crimes. Guy steals from you. They go to jail taken away from their innocent family. You don't get your money back and your taxes are paying for him to live free. Prison doesn't work. Recidivism rate is as high as 80%.

But at the same, cutting the hand off a thief like the Muslims do sounds barbaric.

Has there ever been an effective system in punishing law breakers that wasn't barbaric?
>>
>>1936881

If someone breaks a law, they should be flogged publicly and then burned to death.
>>
Easily identifiable permanent markings would be a cool idea, wouldn't it?
>>
>>1936881
Emphasis on rehabilitation rather than punishment.
>>
>>1936886
BURN JAYWALKERS BURRRN
>>
>>1936892
like a shame tshirt they must wear?
>>
>Imprisonment is retarded for 90% of crimes. Guy steals from you. They go to jail taken away from their innocent family.

They are removed from a society in which they will harm people. It makes perfect sense
>>
>>1936917
A permanent scar on their face indicating they have committed a felony.

You could even reduce the term of a prison sentence with the institution of such a procedure.
>>
>>1936881
The best way to eliminate crimes is to make sure most people have access to all their life needs and do not feel as though they need to do crimes in order to support their style of life.

But a good punishment system would be hard labour for a set amount of time. Such as a day for petty crimes and up to life for major ones.

Another thing that prevents criminals from being rehabilitated is the lack of employment opportunities, i think that in a system of labour punishment any who fulfill this obligation would have a slate wiped clean except for a mere history, do not brand those people felons for then they will stay felons.

Punishment in america goes way beyond the prison, once you do a crim you cannot do half of the things you once where able to do, once branded a felon you can no longer go for a better life in that same country. Your best bet after any felony no matter how small is to join the French Foreign Legion if you want prosperity.
>>
>>1936929
What if later they are proven not guilty?
>>
>>1936923
If they are a danger they should exiled or killed. I'm not too happy about my money paying for somebody to live for free in a prison because they don't know how to get along.
>>
>>1936948
We're talking about punishments for felonies here. If they are framed or something you mean? I don't have an answer to that question, not many people would. After all, we have wrongly killed people with our current justice system when they were innocent. There is going to be some casualties with any sort of punishment system.
>>
>>1936940
French Felon Legion*
>>
>>1936881
Actually focus on rehabilitation so that when the criminals exit prison they have a skill they can use to find work and aren't just looking to be thrown back in prison.

And for those beyond rehabilitation, death sentence.
>>
>>1936881
There is none. Punishments are hit and miss at best.
>>
>>1936892
>>1936929
>>1936960
The huge problem with this is that it prevents rehabilitation of the ex-convicts into society. It prevents them from becoming useful, productive members of society (because of the social stigma they now have to wear on their face), which guarantees that they will out of necessity, not desire (and often in spite of trying) have to return to a life of crime.
>>
>>1936960
I mean if they are wrongly convicted and are left disfigured due to a faulty system. They are now left disfigured with the assumption from the general public that they are felons.
>>
Obligatory prison work, you don't work, you don't eat.

This has to be accompanied with shortening of sentences so the prisoners don't actually die, and guarantee them a job when they get out, so they don't go back to crime.
>>
>>1936995
Forgot to add that this work needs to be used for public and not private ends, if not the private sector will start doing nasty shit to get people in jail like they alredy do in burgerland

And segregate by different kinds of crimes so the guy that smoked pot once doesn't get influenced by a guy that robbed a bank.
>>
>>1936955
>exile
"Not in my backyard" mentality is fucking stupid. Where would you even exile them? If two countries have a policy of exiling criminals, are you just going to swap criminals with your neighbor? Who will take a known criminal?
>killed
That's nice in theory, except in practice execution is seen as a grossly disproportionate punishment for most crimes (even violent crimes) and you'd immediately get a campaign to abolish or cut down on the death penalty for people who aren't complete monsters, so where do you send those? What do you do with a serial car thief? Even his victims might feel some guilt from sending him to hang.
>>
Shariah law without the Muslim bullshit.
>>
>>1937020
To expand on this, exile worked as a historical punishment because it was really hard for the exiled to start a new life in another country due to suspicion of strangers, linguistic barriers etc, but now that people dream of moving to another country that's hardly a punishment at all. It was also not so much a solution as foisting the problem on someone else (I assume that in many cases, the exiled ended up either starving in some ditch or joining a bandit group. No wonder banditry was such a huge problem.)
>>
>>1937037
Imagine Australia 2.0.
>>
>>1936881
Banishment is ideal but Australia tells me they're full.
>>
>>1936986
>>1936986
Why not just have it all done anonymously?

Prisoners get their heads shaved, wear masks, are subject to backbreaking labor, get given a trade along the way, get released into society in some area distant from where they were convicted, and a government or private labor agency helps them segue back into the workplace if they can't. There is, of course, absolutely nothing stopping non-convicts from using these same agencies' help so the prisoners can essentially start a new life.

If they're a high profile politician and they get caught with their dick in a kid or something then just bump them off.
>>
>>1937069
What if they don't want to relocate to a distant area because they have family there?

True rehabilitation also requires the public to believe in the idea. The ideal situation is for the populace to understand that the prisoner has reformed, rather than sending them to someplace else. Besides, imagine in that scenario as to how you'd react to anyone moving to your area, there would always be a niggling thought in your mind as to whether they were a criminal or if they are simply someone moving to a new place.
>>
>>1937054
Most of the "criminals" sent to Australia were guilty of petty bullshit such as poaching, being homeless and/or unemployed.
Poachers in particular must have felt like Australia was some sort of paradise, all that meat jumping around and it belongs to no one!
>>
shock collars
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.