[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The OT of the bible is a disgusting book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 11

File: Rahab_and_Jews.jpg (18KB, 220x297px) Image search: [Google]
Rahab_and_Jews.jpg
18KB, 220x297px
>These people (Canaanites) never heard of me? Go and slaughter every man, woman and child and bring the cattle to me. t. Yahweh
>Use a prostitute (Rahab) to betray the city of Jericho and kill every man, woman and child.
>I want to cuck my loyal subject. Send him to his death in a far away battle. Sleep with his wife. t. king David
>One whore Judith sleeps with the Assyrian general to betray him.
>Another whore Esther sleeps with Persian king to make him cuck his own people.
How in the world is this considered a """"holy"""" book? You'd have to be a very sick person to not find this book repugnant.

Inb4 the bible is a collection of books
>>
>>1931906
It got some metal moment, Samson was the shit.
>>
>>1931911
Yeah I guess it's fine to read it as mythology. Samsom = Hebrew Herakles. But some people on this planet find this disgusting book holy. How do they rationalize this?
>>
>>1931917
>How do they rationalize this?

They don't. It's call Belief for a reason.

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.
>>
Judaism is a religion of peace only the raabis are qualified to interpret scripture.
>>
>>1931906
To understand the Old Testament you must understand Abraham's test of faith. Kierkegaard wrote an entire book on this, Fear and Trembling, which helped me come to better understand the seemingly immoral acts permitted in the Old Testament, that's where I'd recommend you start if you honestly care about the answer to your question.
>>
>implying what God does is anything but holy and just
tips fedora
>>
>>1932330
Schlomo detected.

>>1932623
Christcuck detected.
>>
>>1932639
/pol/nigger detected
>>
Which makes me glad that Christianity is actually closer to Neoplatonism than Judaism, despite all the talk about "our brothers the Jews".
>>
>>1931906
>>These people (Canaanites) never heard of me? Go and slaughter every man, woman and child and bring the cattle to me. t. Yahweh

The Canaanites knew that God was with the Hebrews. God led them out of a pillar of flame, and confirmed his presence with miracles. The smart Canaanites begged for mercy ahead of time and were forgiven.

>>Use a prostitute (Rahab) to betray the city of Jericho and kill every man, woman and child.

An example of a smart Canaanite.

>>I want to cuck my loyal subject. Send him to his death in a far away battle. Sleep with his wife. t. king David

This is held to be one of David's principal sins, and God rebukes him harshly for it.

>>One whore Judith sleeps with the Assyrian general to betray him.

Apocryphal.

>>Another whore Esther sleeps with Persian king to make him cuck his own people.

What the fuck are you even saying?

0/10 repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.
>>
Also that part where this guy goes to the king of egypt (?) and tries to convince him of God. But God "strengthens" this guy's heart as to deny God, therefore unleashing plagues etc.
Not really fair, is it
>>
Marcion pls
>>
>>1931906
>The Bible isn't like on my romance book
This is called reality m8
>>
>>1932660
And when God stops hardening Pharaoh's heart, he lets the Hebrews go... But then Pharaoh changes his mind and chases after the Hebrews in chariots. Pharaoh was never going to listen anyway, so God showed the consequences of continued disobedience.
>>
>>1931906

those Canaanites were given 400 years to repent, while God's people were slaves in Egypt. They did nothing but grow more wicked and corrupt.

Loyalty to God over country is not a new idea.

David paid for that murder with the life of his son, and a rebellion within his house.

Whores gotta do what whores gotta do.

She married the king; she was the queen. She risked her life to save her people from genocide.

The OT is a rough book, but your understanding of it is dildos.
>>
>>1932645
No clue why you keep misspelling "Catholicism". It isn't that hard to spell.
>>
>>1932660

God's hardening your heart against him, too, so that you have the power to join the rebellion against him, die, and go to hell.

That's what you're asking from God.

I'd reconsider if I were you.
>>
>>1932652
This is sandnigger mentality man come on.
>>
>>1932706
>Behead all those who insult Yahweh!
>Yahweh akbar!
Sandnigger.
>>
>>1931906
I can't speak for protestants, othodox Christians, or Jews, but I know the Catholic Church regards most of the OT as mythological, or at least, historically-inspired, if not accurate. It's more there to serve as a reminder of where we came from as well as documenting the groundwork being laid for the coming of Christ.

It's also important to remember that the OT was recorded orally for thousands of years, so what we have today is basically the end result of a massive game of "telephone."
>>
>God used to interact with people on an interpersonal level and level entire cities, even restarted the whole world once
>Monks canonised people left and right
>All of that stopped

really makes you think
>>
>>1932764
You sound like an honest person. Are you sure you're a Christian?
>>
>>1932755
>cmon man u iz bein stupid liek dem [random word]-niggers meme

Nice argument.
>>
>>1931906
Define holiness.
>>
>>1931906
>>I want to cuck my loyal subject.
But YHWH did that in the NT.
>>
>>1932777
Behead all those who oppose Yahoo even if it means lying, cheating and genociding inocent people, including children = ISIS tier sandnigger religion = not holy.

Teachings of Jesus = holy.
>>
>>1932787
>Teachings of Jesus
But also of Buddha, Shankara, Pythagoras, Plato, Zoroaster...
>>
File: fedora.jpg (24KB, 336x340px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
24KB, 336x340px
>>1931906

>trying to apply modern morality to a book written by iron age desert tribals

The stories are no more disgusting than the stories of the Greeks or any other culture of that period because the reality is that people back then were FAR more callous and cruel with their dealings to compared to now.
>>
>>1932758

YHWH is not allah.

YHWH made allah.
>>
>>1932764

Yes, the Catholics shit all over the bible. Thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>>1932805
They are identical in character.
>>
>>1932799
No duh genius. I'm not the one that believes the book is holy and above historical perspective and moral reproach, these fine soldiers of Allah, I mean Yahweh do

>>1932706
>>1932652
>>
>>1932812
One is triune, Love, and has a son.

The other is the devil.
>>
>>1932820

The fact that you think the book is disgusting shows your own stupidity. You're incapable of understanding the context of the times and environment it was written. You have this idea in your head that all Christians, Jews and Muslims believe that the OT is the infallible word of God; when nobody thinks that except the zealots which you mistakenly apply that label to everyone.
>>
>In the book of Numbers (31:18) God’s servant commands the Israelites to kill all of the used Midianite women who have been captured in war, and all of the boy children, but to keep all of the virgin girls for themselves.
>The Law of Moses spells out a purification ritual to prepare a captive virgin for life as a concubine. It requires her owner to shave her head and trim her nails and give her a month to mourn her parents before the first sex act (Deuteronomy 21:10-14).
>A Hebrew girl who is raped can be sold to her rapist for 50 shekels, or about $580 (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). He must then keep her as one of his wives for as long as she lives.
Wow the Hebrews were literally ISIS
>>
>>1932805
"God" and "Allah" are just Yahweh playing you for a chump. A war god needs blood. It set up three religions, all against each other. Now the three way bloodbath between Christians, Jews, and Mozzies fuels its power for the foreseeable future. I assume that after you pledge your soul to it, it consumes you in the afterlife ("You shall become one with God.") for an extra bit of juice.
>>
>>1932684
No, God hardened his heart once more and then he gave chase.
>>
File: 1476044303990.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476044303990.png
8KB, 400x400px
New Testament was written by Jews to Christians would stop being so mean to them.
>>
>>1932771
Yeah

>>1932808
Only if you think taking a logical approach to something is the same as shitting all over it.
>>
File: IMG_11630d.jpg (24KB, 282x245px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_11630d.jpg
24KB, 282x245px
>>1932930
>taking verse out of context because muh fedora
>>
>>1933346
Explain
>>
>>1931906
https://youtu.be/5B9r7leWO0g?t=7m56s
>>
>>1933349
>Numbers 31:18

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=numbers+31&version=KJV

The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God, the cherry-picked verse refers to the women who were taken as wives by Israelites and were corrupting them to Baal worship.

>Deuteronomy 21:10-14

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy+21&version=KJV

God is laying down laws to keep the Israelites from corruption such as that in the previous passage, it sounds harsh but in the context of the time it's probably a lot more lenient than a woman could expect from other peoples in the area, particularly the last verse which forbids her being sold for any amount.

>Deuteronomy 22:28-29

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy+22&version=KJV

This one is complete misrepresentation, the law states that if a man rapes a woman he has to pay her father compensation and take her as his wife for life.

Quote-mining comes up a lot but in the proper context such "arguments" always fall apart.
>>
File: 1473995209616.jpg (54KB, 736x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1473995209616.jpg
54KB, 736x1250px
>>1933434
>The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God
are you seriously trying to excuse this? you're trying to corrupt me into worshiping a false god. should I kill you too and forcibly "marry" your daughter?
>>
Old Testament God may allow his chosen race to invade your lands and exterminate your people, but after all the inflicted horrors you can at least cease to exist

New Testament God makes your life a living hell; then after you die, sends you to the place where "the worm never dies, and the fires are never extinguished".
>>
>>1933486
Also OT God is at least pretty honest in his being a petty, authoritarian prick. I'd gladly take OT God over NT God.
>>
>>1933486
Did you learn everything you know about Christianity from memes or something?
>>
They had it coming.

T. Jew
>>
>>1933434
>The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God,

You say this as if its something in any way justifiable. Tell me, would you favor killing non Christians today to prevent them from corrupting believers?
>>
God purges a lot more with the Deluge, not sure why you failed to mention that. Out of curiosity, what would you have preferred the Jews do with the Canaanite women and children?

Rehab was a prostitute, yes, and she was the only one spared. She's used by James as example of being saved by works. I'm not sure why you find this objectionable.

David sleeping with his subject's wife and having him killed, is not portrayed positively at all, it makes God furious. You think what David did here was supposed to be seen as holy or heroic? Quite the opposite. It's a heinous sin, but it is important because David feels enormous remorse for it.

Judith didn't sleep with him, and since she was pretending to betray her own people in order to get into his confidence, this seems like a strange thing to be outraged over.

The Persian king scrapped a planned genocide of the Jews, who were his subjects, not seeing the problem here.
>>
>>1931906
>>1931911
>>1931917
>>1932308
>>1932330
>>1932710
this
>>
>>1933693
>Out of curiosity, what would you have preferred the Jews do with the Canaanite women and children?

Not kill their husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, etc. and then force them into sexual servitude. In short, tell him to eat it for ordering such a blatantly monstrous thing.
>>
>>1933712
They weren't forced into sexual servitude, they were put to death. Sex slavery is forbidden by Mosaic Law.

How would you have gone about the war differently?
>>
>>1931917
Samson is superhuman in terms of strength, and he kills a lion, but beyond that he has zero similarities with Heracles. It's like calling King Arthur "the British Agamemnon".
>>
>>1933726
Not fucking done it. Engaging in a genocidal war of aggression is blatantly evil by pretty much any ethical system that isn't "what's moral is what God says is moral." Are you inhuman or something?

Also I was thinking of something else, you're right on that bit, they were put to death.
>>
>>1933733
Lots of ethical systems which don't include God include punishment by death for the evils which the Canaanites were allegedly guilty of.
>>
>>1933757
Well, you got me there, and Constantine rejects pretty much anything more modern than the 15th century (what with his rabid fetish for all medievalism), so this is going to be pretty fruitless. I'm gonna go do something else.
>>
>>1933733
From a Biblical perspective, the entire planet belongs to God and he can allocate it how he pleases, so it wasn't aggressive in that sense. Canaan was given a land to settle, but he refused and instead settled where the Canaanites would later by consequence inhabit.
>>
>>1933764
The Medieval period was when the Catholics split radically from the Orthodox in philosophy and doctrine, so I don't really have a fetish for it.
>>
>>1931917
Mythology is supposed to be holy
>>
>Making moral judgements about god
Either god exists and therefore is right about everything meaning he did literally nothing wrong in the OT.
Or god doesn't exist and morality is a spook. Meaning he still did nothing wrong.

Either way OT god is an absolute baller.
>>
Ein od Milvado motherfucker. "There is nothing but Him"

One doesn't mean 3 - dad ghost and kid, and it doesn't mean 1 + a desert pedophile who appropriated other religions by conquest. One is one and that singularity is what makes Jewish spiritual monotheism at least in theory (in actual religious practice and custom, no) purest application of monotheism. Shame you goys totally messed everything up so now its cool to once again worship religious icons when no icon or figure can encompass the ultimate universal singularity of god.

Fucking snackbars stole our Shema then tack on some fanfiction about mohammed being the prophet of Allah (El). Shianiggers are no better than catholics worshiping saints at this point on top of this blasphemy of prophets. I guess some Haredi jews deserve the lake of fire as well since they do the whole "pray at Rav so-and-so's grave its totally not idolatry we are praying "with" his divine presence oops did we just say that? WHO CARES WE WROTE THE TALMUD WE ARE THE LAW!"

That rant being what it is, is there any actual ancient, archaeological precedent for Kaballah that isn't just medieval fanfiction?
>>
>>1933797
Not necessarily, it could just be folklore. Which among pagans wasn't necessarily intended as "holy" even if gods are involved.
>>
File: 1478061152203.gif (142KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
1478061152203.gif
142KB, 495x700px
>>1933778
>the entire planet belongs to God
so it's his property and he can do with it as fits his interests. where have I heard this before?
>>
>>1933851
Stirner can't do whatever he wants with the planet. He can want anything, that doesn't mean he can actually do it.
>>
File: loli stirner.jpg (50KB, 613x771px) Image search: [Google]
loli stirner.jpg
50KB, 613x771px
>>1933868
So the only difference between them according to you is amount of power? so then we can agree that God is an amoral being
>>
>YHWH isn't Jewish!
>Christianity isn't Semitic!

>spend a whole thread justifying Hebrew actions
>>
>>1931906
Why dont Christians take the easy way out by saying God didn't literally order this?

why try to justify an act that makes God look evil?
>>
>>1934082
do you mean deny it or make it "metaphorical"?
>>
>>1934086
You could simply say that was just the ancient Hebrews justifying themselves, or call it a mythical event, pointing towards modern research on the subject.
>>
>>1932827

I'm not an edgy atheist I swear. I'm just woke the fuck up about mythology and shit Joseph Campbell, Jung, Borges, Watts, Huxley, Eliade, Frazer, Nietzsche style
>>
>>1934093
The edgiest atheist on this board is nothing compared to the traditionalist larpers here arguing for divine command theory morality
>>
>>1934090
for most they are already ideologically opposed to having any actual flaws in the bible. that's why even when they don't accept a literal interpretation they have to say it's metaphorical. though I'm sure there are those who do hold this view. I can say that when I was a christian I certainly held this view. but if you accept some corruption in the holy text that must not come from God, you inevitably find something else that must be "corruption". I ended up in a free fall where I see nearly any of the bible as being from God. At that point you either become a vague deist casting off the bible completely or you reject the concept of God. essentially christianity can't survive once you accept that the foundation is shaky, as far as I see it anyways.
>>
>>1934107
*where I couldn't see any of the bible as being from God
>>
>>1933799
Here's a third option. We don't know whether God exist or not. But the God of the OT surely isn't him.
>>
>>1934127
> But the God of the OT surely isn't him.
Why not?
>>
>>1933712
>leaving fighting men alive to kill your people in the next war

Great plan Napoleon.
>>
>>1933778
>the entire planet belongs to God and he can allocate it how he pleases

Fuck that noise. Just because he made it doesn't mean he gets to murder people for being on it where he doesn't like.

It's like you lack any sense of basic human empathy.

>>1933782
>mr. I utterly reject every aspect of modernism and think we should return to feudalism doesn't have a fetish for the medieval period

I'll buy that for a dollar.
>>
>>1933876
Morality, in Christianity, means being God. The more you be God, the better. So all the actions that make you closer to being God, are virtuous, and all the actions which make you less God, are sin (literally "missing the mark" in Hebrew, Latin and Greek, though in English "sin"). God greatly facilitated this by becoming one of us to bridge the immense gap.

>>1934082
Because Christians believe the Bible tells us about God. If you say, "The Bible is wrong," then what the Bible is right about, just falls apart and becomes an arbitrary matter.

Though Mainline (not to be conflated with "mainstream) Protestants often do what you're talking about.
>>
>>1934291
>Fuck that noise. Just because he made it doesn't mean he gets to murder people for being on it where he doesn't like.
God has the power to do whatever he wants. Assuming he exists you don't have a say in what he "gets" to do.

>It's like you lack any sense of basic human empathy.
It's like you're a spooked moralfag.
>>
>>1934379
> spooked

Where exactly did Sterner condemn empathy?
>>
>>1934361
hough Mainline (not to be conflated with "mainstream) Protestants often do what you're talking about.

Pretty much all Christian groups besides non-mainline protestants do this, so either your the only true Christians (which many of them do believe) or at some point they went off the rails (which is what history tells us)
>>
>>1934385
He didn't. But he did point out the ever present importance of self-interest conscious or otherwise.

If (and that's a big if) the Abrahamic god exists this means it's in our interest to go along with everything he says and does in order to reap big eternal rewards and not go to hell. When faced with the motivation of eternal life and joy in exchange for annihilating the Canaanites you would be spooked not to do it.
>>
>>1934404
>When faced with the motivation of eternal life and joy in exchange for annihilating the Canaanites you would be spooked not to do it.

The theoretical isrealits didn't think they were getting eternal life, they thought they were getting a piece of land.

As far as I understand he did not advocate a Randian self interest, but rather not allowing purely external concepts to bind your self interest. Not wanting to engage in systematic murder because it makes you feel bad would not be a spooked action
>>
>>1934414
>The theoretical isrealits didn't think they were getting eternal life, they thought they were getting a piece of land.
They had interests aside from getting a piece of land as after all if we're to discuss it as the bible claims it happened then indeed they had religious motivations.

>Not wanting to engage in systematic murder because it makes you feel bad would not be a spooked action
Actually it would because an omnipotent diety who's willing to reward you greatly or potentially punish you horribly is telling you do it.

On a different scale it's like refusing to punch someone in the face because you'd feel guilty when you're being told to do it with the incentive of a billion dollars if you do and on pain of being flayed alive if you don't. Being skinned would feel a lot worse than the guilt of hurting someone.
>>
>>1934438
treating self interest as an absolute good would be in my understanding, a spook.

Of course in the scenario you lay out that might make sense. It doesn't address the underlying issues of Christian morality the scenario raises
>>
File: 1468452218237.jpg (488KB, 2897x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1468452218237.jpg
488KB, 2897x1188px
>>1934452
>Of course in the scenario you lay out that might make sense. It doesn't address the underlying issues of Christian morality the scenario raises
Obviously god is an egoist.
>>
>>1934379
>God has the power to do whatever he wants. Assuming he exists you don't have a say in what he "gets" to do.

I do however possess my own powers to cast whatever judgement I please on the matter.

>It's like you're a spooked moralfag.

It's like you've never actually read Stirner. Morals are totally fine under his system of thinking.

>>1934404
>If (and that's a big if) the Abrahamic god exists this means it's in our interest to go along with everything he says and does in order to reap big eternal rewards and not go to hell.

Stirner's concept of self interest bears more in common with Sartre's notion of radical freedom than it does any sort of Randian egoism. It's in my self interest to judge negative a god that condones genocide because I value my own sense of empathy and refuse to serve such an entity.
>>
>>1934482
> I do however possess my own powers to cast whatever judgement I please on the matter.
Naturally, but he's not going to care.

>Morals are totally fine under his system of thinking.
Of course, but they're spooks nonetheless.

> It's in my self interest to judge negative a god that condones genocide because I value my own sense of empathy and refuse to serve such an entity.
Well fundamentally it's up to the individual to decide what their interest is or isn't. But I was operating on the reasonable assumption that most people would rather genocide the Canaanites and feel guilty for the rest of their life than go to hell and suffer for eternity.
>>
>>1934394
Orthodoxy is the oldest form of Christianity, so I'd say it's the closest to the mark.
>>
>>1932938
Did you get that shit from warhammer 40k or something ?
>>
>>1934585
Yeah... Like holy fuck it sounds khornate or khainite.

Yahweh was the Canaanite God of conquest who led the heavenly host btw.
>>
>>1933623
No, from reading the NT actually

Try it sometime
>>
>>1934588
YHWH is also said to be the God of the Sea and many other things. He's the God of everything.
>>
>>1931917
There us tons of philosophy and theology behind it. Taking a verse out of context (especially its historical and literary context, but many are lazy enough to even think about neghbouring verse) and crying about it shows laziness. You can't learn about Bible's meaning from cherrypicked Internet memes.

>>1932308
That's Protestant mentality.
>>
>>1931911
What the fuck was Samson's problem?
>try to swindle your bride's family out of some bolts of cloth at your own wedding with a bullshit non-riddle that can't logically be solved
>wife spills the beans
>murder everyone

Also something about clobbering people with jawbones and setting foxes on fire. What a violent retard.
>>
>>1934506
>Orthodoxy is the oldest form of Christianity

That's a funny way of spelling Messianic Judaism
>>
>>1932938
>>1932805
"Allah" comes from "El" or "Ellah" which is Aramaic for god (which is also the name of a local god, definitely related etymology). Jesus would have used the term "El" or "Ellah" as it is generally agreed he spoke Aramaic.
>>
>>1933434
Even in context its pretty compelling you Islamic State piece of shit.
>>
What's with the antisemitism in this thread?
>>
>>1936014
Discussing the morality of Yawhee is now antisemitism. Is any criticism to Judaism morality antisemitism for you?
>>
>>1933212
It's not logical to ignore the only holy book on the planet in favor of some pedo's ideas and "tradition".

It's not logical to say that the history in the bible is a "metaphor".

It's not logical to be a Roman Catholic and not know you're a pagan.
>>
>>1933712

Killing them was a mercy. They were irredeemably wicked.
>>
>>1933782

Thank God there's one fetish you don't have.
>>
>>1934082
God imposes the death penalty, and worse.

Stop thinking of him as a hippie.
>>
>>1934361

The bible is wrong about nothing.
>>
>>1934493
>Of course, but they're spooks nonetheless.

No, they are not. Read the fucking book.

>But I was operating on the reasonable assumption that most people would rather genocide the Canaanites and feel guilty for the rest of their life than go to hell and suffer for eternity.

Jews didn't believe in hell.
>>
>>1934588
Bullshit. Read the Meshe Stele.
>>
>>1935952
He was made to be a Philistine killing machine.

He was very effective.
>>
>>1935986

More muslim bullshit.

el was the Canaanite god, not the God of the Jews, YHWH.

el, the Canaanite god, has children Ba'al, Molech and Asheroth.

All demon gods.
>>
>>1936299
>All demon gods.

Ah, so you're a fundie.
>>
>>1936299
That doesn't change the fact that "El" or "Ele/Ellah" was the pronouciation for "God" in Aramaic, the language Jesus and the inhabitants of Nazareth and Gallilee spoke.
>>
>>1936313
Yes, I am a child of God, and I know my enemies.
>>
>>1936314
Again, complete and utter garbage.

Any time the God of the Jews, YHWH, was referred to with the word "El", it was always in conjunction with another word.

El Shaddai, for instance. The Almighty God.

Who will rain destruction down on you and yours.

Your hypothesis that Jesus, who is God, cannot tell the difference between himself and the devil is ludicrous.
>>
>These people (Canaanites) never heard of me? Go and slaughter every man, woman and child and bring the cattle to me. t. Yahweh
The Canaanites were squatting on the land that God promised to the Hebrews. The reason that the children and livestock had to die was because it was an extermination, not a war. The Jews weren't supposed to take any spoils of war, only to remove people from the land with God's help.

>Use a prostitute (Rahab) to betray the city of Jericho and kill every man, woman and child.
History is ugly. That's a pretty cool story, though.

>I want to cuck my loyal subject. Send him to his death in a far away battle. Sleep with his wife. t. king David
God got pissed off when David did that.

>Another whore Esther sleeps with Persian king to make him cuck his own people.
There was an anti-semite named Haman harassing her and trying to get all her people killed. So she told her husband the king to kill Haman, as well as his whole family, and the king obliged.

The Old Testament is fucking metal. It's great.
>>
>>1936319
You're wrong. "El" was the name used for any primary God of an Aramaic speaker. An Aramaic speaker who was Zoroastrian would have called Zahathura Mazda "El."
Also, my "hypothesis" isn't that Jesus couldn't tell the difference, its that "El/Ellah" was simply the name for YHWH in Aramaic. Afterall, Jesus not only likely spoke Aramaic, he primarily preached to those that spoke Aramaic. Even if Jesus felt "El/Ellah" was not the correct name, he would have used it when speaking to the Aramaic speakers around the region. My "hypothesis" which is shared by most impartial scholars and historians, believers and non-believers, is that the Islamic/Arabic usage of "Allah" is derived from the Aramiac usage, not the actual existence of the Canaanite "El."
>>
>>1936296
I can dig the Philistine Slayer angle but I don't get why he has to be a petty miser and cheat his in-laws at his wedding. Must be a Jewish thing.
>>
>>1931906
>You'd have to be a very sick person to not find this book repugnant.

Do you find history books repugnant too because they refer to genocides?
>>
>>1936325
This.

Israeli judge slips into the enemy king's private chambers on the whisper that he heard some of his men plotting against him, with a hand made shank on his right thigh. The pat down misses it, because security thinks he's right handed, when he's actually left handed.

He gets his private audience with the enemy king, leans in to whisper about this court intrigue against him, and shanks him with his left hand. The shank literally disappears into the fat king's belly, spilling his bowels on the ground.

The assassin makes his escape out the window, and the courtiers don't dare bother the king for a long time, thinking that he is moving his bowels.

Ehud. Champion of Israel.
>>
>>1936345
I'm not wrong.

Nowhere in the bible is the God of the Jews ever called "El".

And you keep saying "Aramaic" this and "Aramaic" that, when the bible was not written in Aramaic, and last I checked, nobody has audio recordings of what Jesus said.

Your attempt to conflate the devil with God is doing the devil's work, as the devil has always wanted to be worshiped as God.

And here you are, doing just that.

The God of the Jews is not the God of the Arabs.
>>
>>1936360
He didn't cheat them; he killed a bunch of Philistines and gave their clothes to the people who won the bet.

The funny thing is that Samson must have been a small guy who didn't look strong, because everyone kept asking how the hell he was doing all of these things.
>>
>>1936361
>History book
>records the horrendous deeds of past men
>bible
>records the horrendous deeds of past men and now you have to worship the dude who facilitated it all
you see the difference?
>>
>>1936372
There are extant versions of the Bible in Aramaic.
What part about "Jesus lived and preached in a place where Aramaic was spoken almost exclusively" don't you understand?
>God of the Arabs
and who the fuck is that?
>>
>>1936384

You don't have to, and you're not.

So what's your problem?
>>
>>1936390
I did not say the bible was not translated into Aramaic.

But for a few passages in Daniel, and a word or two in the gospel, the bible was not WRITTEN in Aramaic. It was written in Hebrew and Greek.

The god of the arabs is Ba'al. El's son.

Pay attention.
>>
>>1936381
>he didn't cheat them
He made them bet that they could solve a riddle and then gave them one they couldn't possibly solve (that wasn't even a riddle, more of "what did I eat for breakfast" type of question)
More importantly, he was behaving like a cunt towards his in-laws and thus ruined his own wedding.
>>
>>1936394
>You don't have to
I have to if i dont wanna be slaughtered by zealots though
>So what's you problem
That people worship a God who facilitated those deeds
>>
>>1936399
>The god of the arabs is Ba'al.

[Citation needed]

Preferably from a credible source in academia.
>>
>>1936400
Er, again, he murdered a bunch of other Philistines and paid off the bet he lost.

>>1936402
No Christian is going to slaughter you for choosing to go to hell.

We might scratch our heads though. It's a really dumb choice, but totally yours to make.

You keep saying that God is evil. Are you not evil, and God good?
>>
>>1936406
Sure. Google allah is ba'al is hubal. Take your pick of sources.
>>
>>1936406

I recommend this one.

http://shoebat.com/2012/09/13/the-oldest-reference-to-allah/
>>
>>1936410
Yeah no. I'm not sifting through infowars tier bullshit. Either put up or shut up.
>>
>>1936416
>infowars tier nonsense

K.
>>
>>1936399
>Pay attention
you're the one conflating the meaning of a word in one language with the identity of a God in another.
>Ba'al is the god of the Arabs
Who the hell makes this claim? Why would they name El/Ellah's son...El/Ellah? Why do Muslims revere Jesus and Moses but supposedly also worship the "devil"??? You still haven't addressed the part where every Jew in Nazareth and around the sea of Galilee most definitely never used YHWH and instead probably said "Ellah"
>>
>>1936416
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/theodore-shoebat-wants-government-send-swat-teams-shut-down-yoga-studios
Seems like a reliable source.
>>
>>1936418
>>1936427

How the wicked fly from the truth.

Even more troubling for Muslims today is that this deity was described nearly four millennia ago to be a god of “violence and revolution”. The beginning of the Epic of Atrahasis describes Allah as how all of the gods labored endlessly in grueling work, under the rule of the patron deity Enlil or Elil. But soon revolt of the gods had erupted, and one deity of “violence and revolution” named Allah (spelled by the experts as Alla), as the following inscription recounts:

Then Alla made his voice heard and spoke to the gods his brothers,’ Come! Let us carry Elil, the counselor of gods, the warrior, from his dwelling. Now, cry battle! Let us mix fight with battle!’ The gods listened to his speech, set fire to their tools, put aside their spades for fire, their loads for the fire-god, they flared up.[3]

3 Atrahasis, tablet i, OBV i, i-ii, trans. Stephanie Dalley, in her Myths from Mesopotamia, p. 10, underline mine.
>>
>>1936428

Why do the devil's children lie?

Because it's all they know how to do. It's all their father taught them.
>>
>>1936435

Eradicating foreign gods and their practitioners, in this case Hindus, is an excellent way to redeem the land.

Do you not know that yoga teaches the prayer positions of the demon worshiping Hindus?
>>
File: autism.jpg (15KB, 200x213px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
15KB, 200x213px
>>1936439
>>
>>1936437
>>1936439
>>1936442
Have you ever considered talking to a psychiatrist?
>>
>>1936448

Can't recognize the truth when you see it?

1 John 2:22
Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.
>>
>>1936461

Have you ever considered speaking with your Creator, before you are forced to?
>>
>>1936315
>I am a child of God

Little blasphemer. Needs a good thrashing by the nuns with yard sticks.
>>
File: 1392939969986.jpg (290KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1392939969986.jpg
290KB, 1600x1200px
Reading this thread is enough to want to purge all religious people of the present day and turn to atheism.
>>
>>1936489
Who was it that said apologists do more damage to religion than critics?
>>
>>1936465

>Bible
>Blasphemy

kek

1 John 3:1
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

Hebrews 2
For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, 12 saying:

“I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”
>>
>>1936492

An idiot.
>>
>>1936542
t. Ken Ham
>>
>>1936539
>that we should be called children of God
>we

What did John mean by this? That "son of god" is a term that applies to ALL humans? Why then is John the go-to source for the myth that Jesus claimed divinity?
>>
>>1933712
>In short, tell him to eat it for ordering such a blatantly monstrous thing.

And then God tells you that your entire generation doesn't get to go into the promised land because you're a bunch of ungrateful shits. You all die of old age or disease or die trying and failing to take the land without God's help. God then waits another forty years in the desert. It's now your son's move. If he fucks up, your grandson's move.

You don't just tell your creator to 'eat it.'
>>
>>1936554
>What did John mean by this? That "son of god" is a term that applies to ALL humans?
Well we're all His creation. Sons and daughters of God. Who else would we belong to?

>Why then is John the go-to source for the myth that Jesus claimed divinity?
Because John knew Jesus. He was one of Jesus' three most trusted followers (the others being Peter and James). John also allegedly lived the longest, being the only one of the original 12 not to die a martyr's death (or death by suicide in Judas Iscariot's case). In addition to knowing Jesus personally, John authored one of the gospels and three epistles (or dictated them to a scribe).
>>
>>1936550
My brother in Christ.

You think I'm ashamed of him?
>>
>>1936554

No, John specifically was talking to born again Christians.

Most people have the devil as their father; you have to make a move to change that, as you were born into a fallen and depraved, spiritually dead race.
>>
>>1936609
>Who else would we belong to?

Most belong to the devil and do nothing but lie.

What do you think "redeem" and "save" mean?
>>
>>1936609
John also wrote the Revelation.

Your post makes me cringe.
>>
>>1936315

So you're on a first name basis with the devil?
>>
>>1936299
>el was the Canaanite god, not the God of the Jews, YHWH.

Isra-EL
Samu-EL
Micha-El
Dani-EL
>>
>>1936614

So Christians are sons of God... why then do people take this to mean Jesus is literally the son of god? Surely John doesn't mean Christians are literally god's children?
>>
>>1936617
>John also wrote the Revelation.

No he didn't, Revelation is a much later text wrongly attributed to St John.
>>
What do you expect, really? The bible is not a religious book, it's just the Jewish mentality in written form. Lie, cheat, steal. Rinse. Repeat.
>>
>>1936294
Can't find any reference to the God of Judah or of Israel on the text on Wikipedia.
>>
>>1936611
Isn't he the one who lies about his credentials?
>>
>>1936263
>literally the church founded by Christ
>pagan
Yeah, okay anon. I'm sure your little sect has far more legitimacy than the first Christian church. I'm sure you also believe that God literally created the world in 7 days, literally flooded the entire earth with 40 days of rain, and then turned off the side effects of inbreeding so that two of each animal could repopulate their entire species, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>1937052
Catholicism was invented as a schism of orthodoxy.
>>
>>1937078
Both are schismatic of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
>>
>>1937078
I think most historians would say it was a mutual brake brought about by decades if not centuries of building theological differences but sure post your one-sided bias reading of it on the history board
>>
>>1931906

God can make up whatever arbitrary system of justice he wants, he's fucking god. Your own subjective sense of morality won't change that.
>>
>>1937052
>the first Christian church.

Was it really? Because I recall mention of early Judeo-Christians that died out that preceded the formation of the Catholic church.
>>
>>1937624
Modern Christians ether deny they existed or insists they were small groups of heretics
>>
It is interesting how Jesus exclusively preached to fellow chosen, is described as "Rabbi", was circumcised, and reaffirmed Moses covenant, but the goyim seem to forget about these important parts. It must really suck to burn in hell, according to the "religion" these idiots fellow.
>>
>>1937740
According to Mosaic Law I'm good if I just follow the Ten Commandments as a gentile, yeah?
>>
>>1932640
Most /pol/e suckers are Christian
>>
>>1931906
Canaanites once served God, but turned to sacrifice children and openly practiced prostitution in temples. They refused to quit doing this. There even came a point in time where the Canaanites and their degenerate customs were practiced in Israel, even though God warned Israel about these people.

God took the life of King David's child for behaving like a man, instead of a man of God, when he slept with his friends wife and had him murdered. God forgave him because God knew David would repent. But not without taking David's first son.

The Canaanites are an example of a people who did not want to repent. They continued child sacrifice to other "gods", chose to ignore God, and eventually got Israel to start sacrificing children and practicing prostitution as well....again, even when God warned Israel through the prophets that these people would not repent, therefore they (The Israelite's) were given permission to strike them.

Israel didn't even want to strike the Canaanites at first. They were scared. God was upset with them for this. All that time the Canaanites were left alive, more child sacrifice to Molek took place. And all throughout that book, you see a nation being risen, whether it be Egypt, Babylon, or Syria...the prophets stated that God would build these nations up to punish other evil nations like the Canaanites. It's a common theme.

Now I don't think it was an accident that the God of Abraham is where He is today. The God of Abraham was revolutionary, the God of Abraham has literally wiped out all the degenerate practices in the name of "gods" from the earth. But man is still surrounded by the ability to choose evil. So even though the masses and nations en mass are not committing human sacrifice anymore like they once were, or warring and murdering in the name of apollo or whatever "god", even though people aren't doing that today, man is still worshiping money and himself. All because evil is still presented to man as an option.
>>
>>1937930
My over all point is this...

There's a line drawn in the sand. There is no contradiction. God is against evil, plain and simple. That theme never ends in that book. The underlining law is love. That's the command. Forgive others, don't be a stumbling block to others in any way at all. They are your brothers.

Jesus Christ did not come to bring peace, but a sword. He brought love and righteousness in a world that was evil and plotted murders. Even the religious sector of His time was infected. The same way these Jews got infected is the same way Christians today can become infected, the same way Ismael, who God said he would look after, they too can be infected with evil.

God's command has never changed. To love and be forgiving. To everyone.

When Jesus Christ brought love against a world of hate and evil, that's a declaration of war. Jesus Christ truly did not come to bring peace, but a sword. He declared war on a evil world with love, repentance, forgiveness for repentance, compassion, and righteousness.

The world has only changed on the surface, new clothes, technology, but the infiltration of evil into the heart...that war is still the same. I mean people don't even know what classifies as degeneracy anymore. Every ones forming their own ideal of what is "good" and "bad." When the definitions of these things dont change.
>>
>>1937930
>the God of Abraham has literally wiped out all the degenerate practices in the name of "gods" from the earth
Africa, ME, India would like a word.
>>
>>1933434
Literally muslim apologist reasoning
>>
>>1937943
No I know, I said the masses, not everyone has changed. Abraham's God has ended the deception the Greeks were under though, the deception the Romans were under, the deception the Israelite's were under, the deception that all the surrounding nations of Israel were under. All thanks to Christ and the apostles.

But that doesn't mean that evil is far from us, it's still there. The deception is still there. The option to choose jealousy, envy, hate, lying (which plays a part in deception) these doors are all still open to the human soul. We are constantly being pressed to choose these sins. To be baited to choose these things.

You see the world today and they're trying call things that are not good, good, and good things like temperance, having discipline, having conviction, attempting self control, you see some people calling these virtues as bad. Like you have a phobia when you're just conscious of regressive behavior.

But the same way Israel became infected with evil, Christians can to, Muslims can to. You see Christians accusing everyone and anyone of wrong doing instead of being forgiving, the Pharisee's did the same exact thing. Some Muslim extremists feel they need to destroy alllllll wrong doers....just looking for an excuse to stone someone to death. This just creates more problems and ultimately pushes people away from the single one Creator of all things. As they see these Christian extremists, Muslim extremists, you have the jewish conspiracy etc etc...they look at this and its one massive contradiction to God's love.

God specifically commanded us to get along. It's the beast's way of doing things to exploit weaker nations for their resources, creating conflict when other wise there would be none...that's the will of the beast, that wretched animal path, that's not the will of God. God's will is to be brothers.
>>
>>1937971
All the imaginations of the past, the doctrine and imaginations for the Greek "gods", the Roman "gods", whatever "gods" there were in the past across the world, instead of having orgies and murders in the name of apollo or athena- in TODAYS world, men and women are living out their fantasies as a personal right. They're worshiping their own ideals for the flesh instead of doing it under the name of some "god." Calling themselves "god" now.

This is a testament to the effect evil has though. God can clean house, man is still a slave to his flesh. Which is the whole purpose of the Jesus Christ as the Messiah, a perpetual state of forgiveness if we choose to repent. He was more than just another prophet to be murdered, I mean exposed everything. The world, the way of the world, how it works on the flesh. How to end the bondage to the flesh. How it's impossible for people to change and repent without forgiveness, which God forgives us, we must also forgive others, do this and all will be well.

Interesting to say the least, the teachings and their truth, truly, never die. Same exact problems different timeline.

The hallway to destruction is the same, it's never changed. Only difference is that the pictures on the wall have changed. The surface, the wallpaper, that's changed. The path is the same though.
>>
It's impossible to kill something when you can incorporate whatever killed it into itself. All those gods and rituals are alive and well in what you call your truth. But hey, credit where you demand credit should be due.
>>
>>1937970
But killing Nazi's is ok..right? Refusing Napoleon forces is perfectly fine...right? Logical even...right?

Look, if you can't prove the Midianites were innocent victims, what are we talking about? In the context of this war, the Midianite women successfully seduced Israel to worship a god that accepts human sacrifice. So basically the remains of a people Israel went to war with, these Midianites, had the influence to get Israel to do all the terrible things the Midianites did as custom.

Child sacrifice, human sacrifice in general was proven to be one of the many disgusting acts of the ancients, that the God of Abraham sought to end. I mean these terrible practices spread like any religion would. Children were deemed as innocent and beautiful, worthy sacrifices to whoever the god of the week was. This took place all over the world at that....and all you can think of is "muslim apologist."

This is why you have to pay attention to context, the underlining factor. Specifically, how the evils spread.
>>
>>1938025
Only they aren't performed at the level they once were. That's my only point. And there's only one truth. Truth itself is linear in nature, it can't be a lie, otherwise it wouldn't be true. It's uncompromising. That's why it sets you free. And the truth in relation to all this, is that instead of murdering for apollo in war, or having orgies in the name of whatever goddess, the same formula that got men and women to do these things in the name of these "gods"....its the same formula that has man and women doing it today. Just minus the gods. Now man worships himself, similar to the Babylonians from the book of Habakkuk. Some truth from Christ is that he pointed out that it starts in the flesh. The flesh has a tug of its own, it competes with the spirit to get attention to tend to it instead of tending to the will of God. The will of God is good and righteousness, fair and just behavior, virtue etc etc....the flesh finds pleasure in vengeance, murder in vengeance, sex, etc etc all that feels good to the surface. These "gods" appeased to that part of man, his flesh.

Anyways, my only point is that people are unaware of the past. How little has really changed. That some things actually stay the same. And because of not knowing this, feel like they're something new and improved. When they're just following the exact same path as the ancients.

Like right now in modern times, we have more in common with the Babylonians than anyone else. They were men that didn't worship any god at first, they worshiped their own strength and abilities. Taking whatever they wanted by their will power. Similar to how we do things nowadays.

In that book that OP is trying to criticize though, it has everything in it. Intense idol worship, men who worshiped themselves, men who new how to exploit weaker and poorer nations for their resources, and the outcome of living like this. Even goes out of its way to give the reader an engineering perspective on why it's like this etc etc
>>
Minus the gods, plus the God. But those are all extremists and thus can be safely severed from your responsibility. They've done your work, now wash your hands and be done with them.
>>
>>1938081
Not sure what you're trying to say right now, my brain is honestly fried with starring at this monitor for this election for the past 8 hours
>>
>>1938069
When did man worship himself?

Humanism emerged from skepticism. If anything is worth valuing it is things like helping orphans and shit, not religions with corrupt clergies. At worst commies and the like assign excessive value to their ideology, but in principle at least the goal is to question things and be rational.

normies have an emotional need to worship the kardashians and such, but I'm referring to the philosophical abstract side of worship not the primal emotional side
>>
>>1938108
>When did man worship himself?
Habakkuk 1:11 Then they sweep past like the wind and go on— guilty people, whose own strength is their god.”

It's one of the evil variable outcomes in the search for answers. To worship the flesh by seeking to sustain it at the expense of others. It presents itself to the consciousness as a logical formula. Man often chooses this specific variable, he's apparently chosen this variable throughout history...starting with the Babylonians or Sumerians.

If man isn't worshiping "gods" or the "god of the week" to appease his flesh, whether it was for war or sex or human sacrifice or whatever, man was worshiping himself for the same purpose of appeasing the flesh. He gives his body the sex, murders the innocent, exploits the weak, the poor nations all for their resources and financial gains and financial outcomese, creating conflict when other wise there would be none.

That's essentially how evil infiltrates the human ranks. It targets the flesh and manipulates through fear. Makes people fear the idea of never ever, ever, ever, experiencing something tantalizing, sooooo, the individual may feel they have to go all out for desires right here, and right now. All because they're afraid this is their only chance to have fun, or experiencing something specific, so they take a selfish route at the expense of others to experience this. Whether it's targeting a poorer and weaker nations resources, killing them to steal something from their land. If its a business decision to cut supply to save money, all because you're afraid of losing financial ground or a position of business superiority. It's evil, working your desires, through a specific fear. All of this is related to the flesh though. When the path of God is not one of fear. But the fear of God is an example of wisdom, because you're afraid of the greater good. Which is...a good thing. To fear justice, fairness, love, righteousness, is to fear God. The beging of wisdom.
>>
>>1939942
Now the Israelis aren't impervious to evil, us Christians aren't impervious to evil, the Muslims aren't impervious to evil....because evil itself appeases and makes it's case on behalf of what we are born with. We have an inherit quality that evil has the potential to influence. We're born susceptible. So, it's a daily navigation, we're always on the sea. And calm waters never made a skilled sailor...so, with God's truth, which is the same as saying "with God", the daily waves of the sea, in their towering confrontation, can be managed. After all the, truth is a straight linear path, not a lie, otherwise it wouldn't be the truth, it's uncompromising. It's forgiving, but uncompromising. It's a path and way that was paved before man, the same way everything was made before man. You follow the truth, you follow God. You follow God, you follow love and righteousness. Man didn't create love, it's an ideal that was there for man to grasp onto. It's a door way, a trail on the mountain side, a road that was ALREADY paved in advance. Man did not create it.

Now throughout this entire book, you only see one thing. God going to war with evil at any cost. Won't hesitate to cut of a limb off if it means saving the whole. God apparently knows who will change and who wont. God is also beyond patient to the point it looks like he doesn't exist, taking up to a hundred years before he starts doing his thing. All because he's waiting for people to learn and see what they're doing.

>2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
>>
>>1932898
>You have this idea in your head that all Christians, Jews and Muslims believe that the OT is the infallible word of God; when nobody thinks that except the zealots which you mistakenly apply that label to everyone.
Have you ever been to the South?
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.