[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did knights/men at arms/soldiers/people in general work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: anotherdragon.jpg (85KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
anotherdragon.jpg
85KB, 840x623px
How did knights/men at arms/soldiers/people in general work out back in the day?
>>
>>1930151
Barbell Incline Press 4x6

Cable Crossover 3x15

Lying Rear Delt Raise 3x15

Upright Barbell Row 3x8
>>
they didn't. they were conscripted from their farms under threat of capital punishment, handed a pike and maybe a helmet and uniform and herded onto a battlefield.
>>
>>1930178
>Knights
ya dingus
>>
calisthenics
>>
>>1930168
Holy shit top kek
>>
Bodyweight exercises most likely. This is pure speculation but maybe pushups and sit-ups were invented as a way for armoured men to get up after falling.
>>
>>1930151

Jousting and sparring I assume.
>>
I assume they had mechanical stairmasters and treadmills
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_stone
>>
>>1930151
Constant training. Constant fencing/sword practice. If they trained like that in full armor for a few years they'ld automatically get ripped as fuck, no having to worry about 'working out'.
>>
File: 1371452658398.jpg (70KB, 799x393px) Image search: [Google]
1371452658398.jpg
70KB, 799x393px
>>
>>1930178

If this is the case I assume they had a lot of farmer's strength from hard labor.
>>
>>1930151
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
>>
>>1930151
>knights
probably like spartiates but less agoge-like

meaning they would hit the training dummy every now and then between banquets
>>
>>1930618
Confirmed for not knowing shit.

>Ripped
Ripped is the term used to describe someone who's muscles are showing. Muscles only show when there is a low percentage of fat. Depending on the person, maybe 10-15%. Bodybuilders have somewhere around 3-5%.

Also, you don't get Ripped by doing the same thing over and over. Your body adapts to the strain you're putting it through, so you need to progressively overload the volume if you want to get bigger.

Back in the day, people didn't view training as a way to keep healthy or look good. Most people had active lives anyway. So training was purely a preparation for war or competition. A knight would likely train for competition more often than for war, because it was just that much more common.

So what did they train? They trained whatever they were preparing for. Sword duels? Then spar. Jousting? Then joust static targets. Wrestling? Then wrestle.
>>
>>1930178
This is a complete meme, the average footslogger wasnt a fucking conscripted peasant he was civil militia man or a mercenary.
>>
>>1930151
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/study-shows-knights-were-pretty-spry-their-suits-armor-180959699/?no-ist

Put on armor. Walk. Run. Do manual labor. Jump. Climb. Fight.
>>
>>1930722
I dont think you know what "average" means
>>
>>1930711
Striking a pel is a common exercise that was done in Europe, supposedly you'd do it every day.
It was done in Asia as well and some japanese schools still train their strikes that way.
>>
>>1930151
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
>>
>>
I once read that they would practise in armour made out of lead. So when they would go into actual battle with their steel armour, it would feel much lighter. A method they copied from the Romans.
>>
Sword curls 3x5
Dips between 2 shitters 3x5
Shield press 3x5
Muslims 1xfailure
>>
>>1930882
i don't think this kind of shit actually accomplishes much more than fucking up your back and joints
>>
>>1930890
Athletes have historically used methods of adding weights and still do today. Just because some meme medical blog says it can be bad doesn't mean people stopped doing it for the gains.

Back then they probably didn't even know what bone joints were
>>
>>1930882
>I once read that
No you didn't, you just came up with something out of your ass to make yourself interesting.
>>
File: Padlock Weights.jpg (43KB, 1000x403px) Image search: [Google]
Padlock Weights.jpg
43KB, 1000x403px
>>1930762
>It was done in Asia as well and some japanese schools still train their strikes that way.

In nearby China & the Sinic World exercise (for civilians) is pretty much calisthenics & weight training. Shit like running up long stairways, Tai Chi, and the like.

Pic related. Traditional Chinese weights often include.
>A stone barbell that looks like a padlock.
>A stone bar with a hole in the middle run through by a pole, where you grab both ends.
>A stone weight on the end of a pole.
Pretty much stuff any peasant can make.
>>
>>1930900
Kettle bells and sand filled leather sacks/tubes where used for workout in medieval and early modern Europe too.
>>
>>1930178
The medieval soldier was most commonly a mercenary, with a city militia or noble warrior in minority cases. There was no medieval draft by and large you fucking spergling.
>>
File: Strength test military exam.jpg (38KB, 507x414px) Image search: [Google]
Strength test military exam.jpg
38KB, 507x414px
>>1930900
Well, if we're talking about Military Weight Training, there is always the meme overweight all metal guandao.

Hell, it was required to perform some drills with the metal pole-saber comfortably to qualify for attendance in the military academy & officer school.
>>
>>1930895
of course they knew what bone joints were
you can intrinsically feel exactly what a bone joint is, to say nothing of being able to see it on skeletons and corpses
>>
>>1930923
A sepsis would kill you back in the day, but they where quite good at curring broken bones.
>Yes boys, you gotta wear this heavy Hauberk, it saves lifes!
>>
>>1930151

I assume they read the sticky
>>
>>1930702
>The dance at the end
I kekked
>>
>>1930958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
>>
>>1930900
>>It was done in Asia as well and some japanese schools still train their strikes that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht2chIJGBM
This is the pel striking I was specifically thinking about, starting at 1:30.

And then there's this:
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Poem_of_the_Pel
>>
crossfit
>>
>>1931000
sounds like a Christian thing
>>
>>1930985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzI1UvlQqw
>>
>>1930151
The answer is probably not very effectively. Even with the best training and nutrition it can still take you a year to get to 1/2/3/4 pl8, back in the day people were considerably smaller and so would be unlikely to be as strong. I highly doubt they had an understanding of things like anabolic windows and TDEE.
>>
>>1931380
>back in the day people were considerably smaller and so would be unlikely to be as strong.
Nice, got a source for this or just pulled out of your ass?
>hard work, and weight training
>sixpack is beauty standard for over 2000 years
>various training manuals for lifting, running etc.
>>
100 pushups, situps, squats, and 10km running every day
>>
>>1931549
It's not 2015 anymore you know?
>>
>>1931388
I see that line on the inner arm a lot. Is that a vein, or a sinew?
>>
File: dyelrws.jpg (127KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
dyelrws.jpg
127KB, 675x450px
>>1932119

It's a vein.
Geez, have you never mired your own pump at the gym, seconds after finishing off that last set of bicep curls?
>>
>>1932614
No, I'm a DYEL.
It just seemed odd that it's a vein, I thought their placement and patterns were unique.
>>
>>1932615
maybe the guy that stood model had one there?
>>
>>1932119
It's called the Cephalic vein.
>>
>>1930178
You're a fucking idiot

>>1930151
Look up Boucicaut
>>
>>1931549
Don't forget, eat a banana before all that.
>>
>>1933289
No, it's you have to eat breakfast, even f it's just a banana.
>>
>>1932615
they are unique, but follow the same basic pattern

Mine is slightly higher on my front delt, other people might have it closer to the peak of the bicep
>>
>>1930720
jesus are you really getting this autistic over semantics?
>>
>>1931388
Firstly, the possession of a six pack has no correlation with strength or fitness of any kind. It is indicative of a body fat percentage of below 12%, nothing more. Secondly were you asking for a source that people were smaller or that smaller people aren't as strong as bigger people? For the former I suggest you investigate average heights throughout history and for the latter Olympic weightlifting records by weight category.
>>
>>1930647
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_stone
what is that fella in the top left lifting over his head? is that a stone?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.