[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intellectually Lazy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (158KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
158KB, 500x500px
Hey /his/ I was doing some thinking recently. If somebody posts a source that has been proven in the past to be biased or false is it intellectually lazy to dismiss all further information from that source, or would one be justified in doing so? I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
>>
All sources are biased, and most have false information.
Especially those from antiquity/ pre modern eras.
If you discounted all sources for biased and or false info, youd have no sources.
Would it be nice if all sources were entirely correct/ unbiased? Absolutely, but we work with what we're given.
>>
>>1925469
I guess you're right, but I was more talking about something that is wrong a majority of the time, let's take an extreme example and say a source is wrong 99% of the time, if they provide evidence to why they reach the conclusions they do would I be obliged to still look into them or would I be allowed to dismiss them out of hand?
>>
>>1925442
would you continue buying food from people who shit in your food?
>>
>>1925513
Im going to assume that your interested in classics and antiquity, so we'll use Vegetius.
Vegetius, if you didnt know, is one of the few sources we have on the late roman empire. This presents a problem because he is wrong a lot of the time. He is a non-military man writing about the military, most probably out of a yearn for the classical ages rather than a conclusion that the empire is turning to ruin.
There is still a lot we can take from Vegetius though. First of all, we can cross reference sources: Vegetius tries to tell us that Romans stopped using armor. Should we use this as fact? No. What we can do though, is think about the fact that something made Vegetius think that legionaries werent using armor, and then cross reference other sources to trying and pull the fact from the statement.
Ideally, all sources would be cross referenced with each other to ensure accuracy, but obviously this is not really possible given the time it would take.
>>
>>1925520
how attractive are they? would they be maintaining eye contact? what kind of food? would I get a discount? you gotta throw out some more deets here son
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.