[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethiopia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Ethiopian_flag.png.cf.png (49KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ethiopian_flag.png.cf.png
49KB, 600x400px
Hey, /his/, a certain African country has caught my attention, this being Ethiopia.
I've read about its History for a little bit now, and there's just one thing that strikes me as an unfortunate turn of events for the little country.
Before Italian takeover of the lands, I know that it was Independent, and I think the only/one of the only African countries to avoid colonization, while still maintaining somewhat "modern" standards of living, by the European ideology of the time.

My question is, /his/, where did it all go wrong?
What exactly happened to this well-developing and upcoming country to turn it into another nameless "poor starving children" country?

Was it the war?
Was it the lack of European aid that was asked of the Western World?
Was it a policy of appeasement that lead it to be all alone in the grasps of a fascist nation?

What do you think Ethiopia would be had it been left alone during the wars to continue developing?
A shining beacon of light, in the midst of African chaos, or would it be as it is now?
Would it live up to European standards, as it seemed on the track to doing so?
Would the monarchy have been removed eventually, as Europe's had?

So many questions, /his/, feel free to answer any, or none. It's also nice to see some homebrew situations.
>>
>where did it all go wrong?
Communism
>>
>>1923277
Nah. it was opening to the world. Haile Selassie tried to modernize his country. That meant he needed to send young men abroad. These guys brought back ne ideas and saw how backwards Ethiopia was compared to the ROTW. The men he furthered were the men who ended his reign. It 's a miracle he came out of the first two coups.
>>
>>1923209
It was the Soviet Union's influence, ruining everything as usual.
>>
>>1923303
Actually most of the students were in the US. The US also had the Kagnew Station there. Their influence came much earlier. The USSR only got involved after the shit was going downhill already.
>>
>>1923277
>>1923320
>>1923303
I suppose I didn't read all too much, what exactly did soviets try to do?

>>1923293
Do you suppose that the monarchy would have been overthrown within time then?
>>
>>1923463
>Do you suppose that the monarchy would have been overthrown within time then?
Sooner or later yes. The monarchy may have had a chance if Haile Selassie had abducted at some point or set up a constitution less tailored around the figure of the emperor; less absolutistic if you want. He ruled too long to keep up with the pace of change.
>what exactly did soviets try to do?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopia%E2%80%93Russia_relations#1974_revolution
Commie revolutionaries ask for Moscow's help. Ethiopia turned towards the USSR not the other way around.
>>
File: 1931 Statue.jpg (93KB, 700x479px) Image search: [Google]
1931 Statue.jpg
93KB, 700x479px
>>1923209
>while still maintaining somewhat "modern" standards of living
That's not true really. Modernisation was basically limited to the capital and a handful of other well-connected towns like Dire Dawa. Most of the country was still basically medieval by the time the Italians took over, and it remained so throughout the 20th century. The 'starving Africans' image mostly comes from the 80s during Communist rule, but in truth there were plenty of famines before that, including a massive one in 1973 leading to the overthrow of the monarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famines_in_Ethiopia

As for the Italian influence, they were brutal assholes and they wiped out a generation of educated Ethiopians which certainly must have affected development, but they also built infrastructure like roads and towns, encouraged economic development and made slavery illegal (earlier attempts to get rid of it were pretty half-hearted). Overall they probably did more good than bad.

Ethiopia has never been a nice place to live and it's been pretty 'underdeveloped' by the standards of the rest of civilization at least since the fall of the Aksumites. They lacked cities and infrastructure, they had an oppressive feudal system, there was hardly any kind of manufacturing, literacy was limited to the church, travel and trade was extremely difficult due to geography, technology was fairly primitive, etc. The state itself had also been falling apart since the 16th century and only really came back to power in the late 19th. They didn't have any kind of basis for modernization in the way that somewhere like Japan or even Thailand did.

That all said, I think Ethiopia would still be a lot better off than it is today if not for the Communists, if not for the incompetence of Haile Selassie during the later stages of his rule, and if not for the the holding back of Ethiopia's modernization by the conservative nobility, priesthood and certain rulers throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.