[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Relationship between catholocism and gospel music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Eurotard here, today someone tried to tell me catholocism was pretty big and all the black gospel stuff we see nowadays has its roots in that. As far as I've always known America was pretty anti-catholic, aside from the early spanish and french settlements.

Please aware me on how wrong I/the other person was.
>>
I don't know what your friend is talking about. Black Americans were rarely ever Catholic because the United States was largely Protestant. The development of gospel music came about through mixing of West African styles (such as the spiritual rituals, call and response pattern and oral tradition) with Christian themes.
>>
>>1915762
It's Scottish Protestant and West African derived
>>
You will hardly EVER see Black Catholics in the United States. On the rare occasion that you do, they're usually Haitian or from some of the smaller islands in the Caribbean, so they're clustered around Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

Black American Christianity is like a humid, feverish rabbithole that you can easily get lost in. It's insane.
>>
>>1917705
>spiritual rituals, call and response pattern and oral tradition
Yes and this also led to the development of blues, jazz, rock music etc.
>>
>>1915762
Whats with people today being religious and shit.
>>
>>1918246
How is that relevant
>>
>>1915762
Most black Americans were historically Baptist and Methodist. Catholicism contains a lot of rituals so if they were Catholic then you would get syncretized traditions like Voodoo.
>>
>>1918252
To show that these cultural traditions were able to develop music genres independent of Christian influence
>>
>>1918246

>Fact: Black people invented every musical style in history
>>
>>1918274
No, but they contributed greatly to the development of today's popular music
>>
>>1918279
im p. sure that anon is just trying to bait
>>
>>1915762
Why does your friend think they were inspired by Catholicism?
>>
>>1915762
I'm also from Europe and i also heard that Gospel was invented by catholic slaves in Louisianna;
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.