[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Romans name their gods after the planets? Did the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1461489552144.jpg (63KB, 910x510px) Image search: [Google]
1461489552144.jpg
63KB, 910x510px
Why did the Romans name their gods after the planets?

Did the ancients know something about astronomy that we don't?
>>
gonna hijack your thread for a second OP since i dont see another thread up and my questions is loosely related.

Did any of the greek Titans die? Memory is hazy and google isnt helping one bit. From what i remember Titans just cant die and the closest was Cronus being chopped up and thrown into the tartarus
>>
it was the other way around actually, the romans named celestial bodies after their gods and western astronomers that came after the romans who discovered the outer planets and satellites continued that convention.

Jupiter was named thus because it was the brightest planet, jupiter the god was god of the heavens in addition to being king of the gods. Venus was named for the god of beauty since its such a beautiful body, Mercury was named for the speedy messenger of the gods because it is the fastest moving planet, and moves very quickly into and out of the horizon, only being visible for brief periods. Mars was named for the god of war because of its red color. Saturn's name meaning is a bit more obscure, I'm not really sure why that was chosen, but its named after the god saturnus who is Jupiter's father and the god of agriculture to the romans.

>did the ancients know something about astronomy that we don't
like what, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you asking why they named the planets after gods but not the stars? Since atleast greek times it was noted that there were a few specific celestial bodies that moved around significantly more than the others. The greek astronomers calles these planetes asteres, or wandering stars.
>>
>>1910164
Ouranus died. Though I guess you could argue whether or not the Father of Titans was one himself.
>>
It's obviously because the only true way of seeing eternity with your own eyes is to look up at the night sky.
>>
>>1910145
>click or touch an object to explore
>touch my screen
>nothing happens
wow wtf OP
>>
>>1910145
>Pluto

If we're going to include Pluto then where are all the other dwarf planets?
>>
>>1910201
I'm sorry, but who the fuck thought the name makemake was a good idea?
>>
File: ceres.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ceres.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>1910201
idk why people got so butthurt about pluto being reclassified. When Ceres (the largest body in the asteroid belt) was fist discovered in 1801 it was originally classified as a planet but was changed to an asteroid in 1851, after the discovery of many other objects with similar orbits. This despite the fact that it's the only body in the asteroid belt massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity. And it has infact since been reclassified as a dwarf planet.
>>
>>1910189
works for me
thanks anon
>>
>>1910145
>Why did the Romans name their gods after the planets?
Other way around
>>
>>1910211
Because it was the only one of the once meme 9 planets discovered by Murrika.
>>
File: 1473916720305.png (412KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1473916720305.png
412KB, 604x604px
>>1910196
Kek
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.