[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

verdun or somme which was bloodier >inb4 passchendaele fags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: ww11 troops.png (96KB, 1162x421px) Image search: [Google]
ww11 troops.png
96KB, 1162x421px
verdun or somme which was bloodier
>inb4 passchendaele fags
>>
>>1905748
somme
>>
Fun fact: Tolkien fought at the Somme and had the working manuscript for "The Hobbit" with him all through the war
>>
>>1906213
Battle of unnumbered tears in the silmarillion is based off his experiences.
>>
Verdun obviously.

The Somme has only lurked in the public opinion with such weight for the disappointment that it was on the British masses when Haig's artillery barrage achieved nothing, and the promised victory on the Somme was rapidly converted into the worst ever day for the British army. Only French veterans from Verdun who'd experienced that battle were capable of coordinating their artillery for their first day to be a success.

>The Fourth Army took 57,470 casualties, of which 19,240 men were killed, the French Sixth Army had 1,590 casualties and the German 2nd Army had 10,000–12,000 losses.

We shouldn't dismiss either that the Somme was conceived merely as a diversion from Verdun.

I think that both battles were insanely horrible, but of the Somme and Verdun, Germans acknolewdge Verdun to be the more horrible of the two, and that is the battle imprinted on collective memory there.

Also Somme from what I recall: July-November.

Verdun: February-December.
>>
>>1906213
He didnt start working on the Hobbit until he had kids, which was in the 20s and 30s.

In 1915 he was working on The Fall of Gondolin most likely, which is the first middle earth story he wrote.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.