[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

historical wargaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: WW2.jpg (127KB, 567x801px) Image search: [Google]
WW2.jpg
127KB, 567x801px
Anybody on /his/ into tabletop wargaming? Looking to get into it more especially after being big into hearts if iron. I've been looking into getting the original Prussian 1824 kriegsspiel and was wondering if anybody has experience or links for rules/pieces etc. I want to get into axis vs allies too but don't know the tactical aspect of that compared to legitimate military games like kriegsspiel. Thoughts?
>>
>>1903891

Kriegsspiel is a matrix game, you need a large number of people to play it and at least in the classic form, has strict rules about communication between team-mates. As a modern gamer's choice to play for fun, there's better stuff out there, unless you REALLY want to simulate the lines of command and control within an army.

>I want to get into axis vs allies too but don't know the tactical aspect of that compared to legitimate military games like kriegsspiel.

It's a strategic level game, not a tactical level game. You don't do tactics at all in something like that, you order your men around in big vague groups and order entire offensives over huge swaths of area.

What are you looking to see in your "ideal wargame"? What are you trying to capture?
>>
You would probably have better luck on /tg/ OP
>>
>>1903891
>axis vs allies
Fun game but it's more about the spectacle than complex gameplay. The board, pieces, materials etc. all look very good and it's satisfying to watch. The mechanics themselves are pretty basic and leave a lot up to chance. Overall it's more of a game aimed at the general population than those who want a complex or realistic game.
>>
War in the East/West/Pacific are pretty good but online games not tabletop. The problem with tabletop is that you have to manually roll dice, do math, and all the bookkeeping while on the computer all that is done automatically.
>>
>>1904012
Okay good points. I'm looking for a hearts of iron feel with focus on individual unit placement to out-strategize an opponent. I'm getting the feel that axis vs allies would be a good start?
>>
>>1904230
Are they on steam?
>>
>>1904266
East is on steam but the rest have to be acquired through the Slitherine store. East was on sale for like 50% a few months ago, but isn't on sale currently. I would recommend pirating them first if possible due to their price and to see if you would like it since the grand campaign ( the main draw of the game) is ridiculously huge with managing every single division. Slitherine has a decent amount of wargames on steam but most of their published stuff is on their website.
>>
Axis & allies 1914 is a good start for that sort of stuff. If you have the money and space go for Europa
>>
>>1904282
Ok cool. I've never heard of them before, are they easy to get into with a HOI background?
>>
>>1904295
I love europa 4 I've put about 300 hours into it. Will check out the axis vs allies
>>
>>1904263

Unfortunately, I've not play HoI, I don't usually do much computer wargaming.

But if you want to do individual unit placing, and high levels of complexity, I wouldn't recommend Axis and Allies, it's more of a beer and pretzel game.

I would recommend either Advanced Third Reich or World in Flames, but be warned, you're looking at games with 70-100 hours of play time per game and rulebooks that extend into the triple digits.
>>
>>1904300
they're almost completely different games. War in the E/W/P are all focused solely on the war and combat aspect of WW2. Production schedules and arrival/withdraw dates of divisions are all based off historical data so you pretty much work with what you get. OOB is much more important and in depth than HOI with having to transfer command, form new armies out of old ones, and assigning and creating Guard Armies. I would argue that War in the East is pretty much the closest you will get to real-life.
>>
>>1904356

Sweet that sounds interesting thabks
>>
>>1904348
Can you find those on ebay or something?
>>
>>1904520
board game geek -> page for the game -> market section
>>
What are some good pregunpowder and early modern systems? How accurate do you think they are? I've never gotten into tabletop stuff, but I was always a bit curious about the wargaming scene and their systems.
>>
>>1904736
I've pirated Pike and Shot and enjoyed it a fair amount. The game has a heavy focus on positioning and flanking as once the armies get into melee it becomes a clusterfuck with units chasing routing units or one unit routing causing a chain reaction of other units routing. Decent amount of scenarios as well as creating custom campaign against any 2 nations in the game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/377520/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.