[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which country has the greatest intellectual tradition in Europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 19

File: britain vs. germany.jpg (29KB, 680x350px) Image search: [Google]
britain vs. germany.jpg
29KB, 680x350px
Britain or Germany

in all fields (science, humanities etc.)
>>
>>1894213
Germany isn't even a real country
>>
It's pretty much a tie, but anglo hate is the new meme, so everyone will say Germany.
>>
the jews
>>
>>1894213

Definitely Germany since they discovered quantum mechanics, organic chemistry and revolutionized Calculus.
>>
>>1894219
no threads are for you. go shitpost somewhere else
>>
To be able to give an educated opinion somebody would have to be scientifically literate and have an interest in literature, as well as have a level of education in both languages to be able to read said literature. This simply is not going to happen.

Instead you'll just get another debased, anti-intellectual /int/ thread with retards flinging shit at one another with pepes and roleplaying trips.
>>
>>1894234
Yet British Scientists were also behind the laws of physics, penicillin, and antiseptics
>>
>>1894213
Greece
>>
>>1894254

Without the Haber-Bosch process (invented by a German Jew) we couldn't possibly sustain the world population right now. Besides, Germans had discovered Sulfonamide (antibacterial organic compound) around the same time as Alexander Flemming noticed the anti-bacterial effects of penicillin.
>>
>>1894264
ha
heh
hahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1470520753234.png (81KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1470520753234.png
81KB, 630x630px
>>1894213
Germany
>>
>>1894234
Italian... Italians... and again... Italians
>>
>>1894234
>>1894298
Are you guys retarded? Newton pioneered calculus
>>
>>1894311
at the same time and independently of Leibniz. This one is a tie.
>>
>>1894298

Gottfried Leibniz

Friedrich Wöhler

Max Planck

Albert Einstein

>>1894311

I said revolutionized, not invented.
>>
>>1894298
could you name them?
>>
>>1894213

Of all time, relative to size/power and overall importance?

Ireland single-handed saved the western academic tradition.
>>
>>1894254
>>1894276
penicillin was discovered by accident anyways so does it really count?
>>
>>1894376
No it wasn't. Fleming only began the discovery. Fleming and Heatley knowingly developed it into a medicine.
>>
File: 1387692701212.jpg (547KB, 1200x967px) Image search: [Google]
1387692701212.jpg
547KB, 1200x967px
>>1894213
Britain
Germany isnt even second
>>
>>1894423
Tfw European accomplishmants from 1400 to 1950.
Go back and start from year -400 and see that Italian bar increase over the charts.
>>
>>1894213
German philosphy is garbage and evil. Its only merit is literary, and I guess some of Schopenhauer's book can be considered self help.

England and France gave us the modern democratic state.
>>
>>1894213
Britain no question.
>>
>>1894462
>German philosphy is garbage and evil.
>t. anglo expert
>>
>>1894213
Germany
>>
>>1894502
No he's right. If you think Nietzsche, Marx and Schopenhauer's philosophies are healthy or actively create any real progress on understanding or finding meaning in our lives you're deluded. They're utter trash.
>>
>>1894213
It would be Germany, but Nazis.

They're never coming back from that one, it's like shitting yourself in public, you'll never not be known as that guy who shat himself.
>>
>>1894213
France.
>>
>>1894637
France is no where near Britain or Germany
>>
>>1894298
What?
>>
>>1894756
See >>1894423
>>
>>1894423
What I don't get about the graph on the right: why is Slovakia there? It looks like they lumped all of the Austro-Hungarian Empire together, but for some reason listed Slovakia separately? Anyone who read the book know?
>>
You mean who comes second after France?

Probably Britain, but not by much.
>>
I'm guessing this thread is meant to bait French posters?
>>
Science:

1. France
2. Britain
3. Germany
4. Italy

Philosophy:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:

1. France
2. Italy
3. Germany
4. Britain
>>
>>1894820
Found the Frenchie.
>>
File: intellectualrivlary.png (213KB, 1280x2200px) Image search: [Google]
intellectualrivlary.png
213KB, 1280x2200px
>>1894213
>>
File: 1477060647888.jpg (33KB, 599x477px) Image search: [Google]
1477060647888.jpg
33KB, 599x477px
>>1894820
>Science
>France
>>
>its an /int/ episode
>>
>>1894830
That's pretty objectively true though.

France is also the only European country that still has an intellectual tradition today.
>>
>>1894841
You're not too bright are you.
>>
>>1894840
I like how in each of those cases they're fighting over their national versions of something that started off as French.
>>
>>1894854
How is Protestantism French?
>>
Germany constantly pushes things to their "logical conclusion".

Britain seems to be the voice of moderation and good sense.
>>
>>1894844
I am most familiar with philosophy but by no means am I an expert on the history of philosophy, but it seems to me that to compare the amount of influential French and German philosophers, for example, is a very difficult thing to do.

As a layman, it seems to me that Germany and Britain take the cake in the field of science.

Art we have the same difficulty as with philosophy but with Italy.
>>
>>1894887

Philosophy has been mostly circlejerking for a while, so there's no real criteria to put some above others. However if you go back to philosophy that was actually useful, like that which produced modern rationalism and the scientific method, from Abelard to Descartes it's mostly French. Look at political philosophy, and while Britain has some contenders, none can compare to the influence of Rousseau and Montesquieu in shaping the modern world. Even our current postmodern world is built on post-structuralist philosophy, the work of Frenchmen like Foucault and Derrida. And this is without mentioning all the stuff in between, from positivism to existentialism, and of course the other humanities.

In science, Britain certainly comes close to France, but Germany doesn't. France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics (Oresme, Descartes, Pascal, Galois...), founded Chemistry (Lavoisier) as well as modern Medicine (Pasteur), and many fields of Physics like Electrodynamics (Ampere) and Thermodynamics (Carnot). Britain surpasses France in classical mechanics with Newton (prefigured by Buridan) and biology with Darwin (prefigured by Lamarck), but I'd say it comes in as a strong second.

As for art, one thing you can do is look at artistic movements. Italy certainly shines with the Renaissance, and religious Baroque. But France has Romanesque, Gothic, secular Baroque, Rococo, Realism, Impressionism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Surrealism... It was consistently the centre of Western artistic creation outside of the Renaissance period.
>>
>>1894857
You don't remember the French monk Martín la Thér and his quatre-vingt-quinze theses?
>>
Germany in both

Einstein, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche
>>
>>1894962
Immanuel Kant
>>
>>1894942
You have some good points. Idk, it's hard to quantify these things. Hobbes and Locke are more influential than Rousseau and Montesquieu in political philosophy in my opinion. I don't know about science so I'll have to take your word. Though since I disagree with what you say about political philosophy I bet if I were more knowledgeable of the history of science I'd disagree with you there, too.

There's really no point in this conversation though so cheers.
>>
>>1894213
France.
>>
>>1894264
this
>>
I like France and its culture, but these days its art, music and literature seem to be more about intellectualising for the sake of being intellectual, rather than conveying a proper message

A load of clowns being pretentious because they think it makes them respectable

Saying that though, the same probably applies to everybody else, just on a smaller scale
>>
>>1894817
Yes, they can't deal with always being outclassed by the British and the Germans.
>>
>>1894942
>France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics (Oresme, Descartes, Pascal, Galois...)
Gauss alone shits over all of these clowns.
>>
>>1895138
Nigel plz control your butthurt
>>
>>1895137
Nigga art has been dead for a century. I don't see how you can intellectualise music, and as for literature... as sad as that may be, Houellebecq might be the most relevant author right now.
>>
>>1895147
Gauss is more of a compiler and completer of knowledge. That's nice but not nearly as important as creating entirely new fields and shifting paradigms, which is what the French excel at in all areas.
>>
>>1894942
>However if you go back to philosophy that was actually useful, like that which produced modern rationalism and the scientific method, from Abelard to Descartes it's mostly French.
Grosseteste and Bacon.
>>
>>1895369
I said mostly French, not exclusively.
>>
>>1894213
England, because you may as well class all American scientific advancement as British.
>>
>>1895470
Nice try Nigel but there are more German Americans than Anglo Americans
>>
>>1894820
Unironically this.

Maybe put Italy first for Arts.
>>
>>1895258

Damn, I wish I could pull stupid things out of my ass lile that.
>>
>>1894219
I missed you
>>
>>1895966
Sounds like you just don't know enough about the history of science.
>>
>>1896370
Or maybe he does and he realises that you're talking out of your ass to justify your narrative.

Gauss is the greatest mathematician since antiquity and none of the people mentioned by you comes even close.
>>
>>1894287
/thread
>>
>>1894423
>starting at 1400
Yeah just cut out the greeks, chinks and arabs because durrr
>>
>>1894522
Schopenhauer helps you see and understand human condition more clearly. If you dislike what he has to say you're likely a subhuman incapable of handling the truth.
>>
File: braunbig.jpg (304KB, 1258x1600px) Image search: [Google]
braunbig.jpg
304KB, 1258x1600px
>>1894213
1. Germany(Einstein, von Braun)
2. Britain(Newton, Darwin, Industrial revolution)
3. Italy(Da Vinci, the Renaissance)

Why is France so far behind? For such a great country they're really lacking in science.
>>
>>1894820
Let me fix that for you

Science:

1. Germany
2. Britain
3. Italy
4. France

Philosophy:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:

1. France
2. Italy
3. Germany
4. Britain

Literature:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Italy
4. Britain

Music:

1.Italy
2.Germany
3.France
4.Britain
>>
>>1897145
Who was louis pasteur? Who were the curies? Who was becquerel? Pascal? Educate yourself
>>
File: 1440871029179.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1440871029179.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>1897163
Anon.
Why do you even bother replying ?
>>
>>1897149
You made a few mistakens here and there.

Philosophy
1. Germany
2. France
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:
1. Italy
2. Austria
3. France
4. Spain

>Literature
1. France
2. Britain
3. Russia
4. Germany
>>
>>1897205
>>1897163

I didn't know they were french, so I'm glad he responded and educated me, fuck you.

But yeah, still inferior to the ones i listed for the other 3 nations.
>>
>>1894234
>>1894223
Don't make anyone laugh, German accomplishments are nothing in comparison to those of the British.

>>1894287
>Meme map made by a German

>>1894423
Those are from the 1400's to 1950's.

>>1894764
See what?Are we supposed to believe that the authors have visited every single country and categorized their inventions in a studious manner?

>>1897145
He is severely overrated, Korolev has outdone him at pretty much everything.
>>
>>1897239
Russia should be first in the literature section.
>>
>>1895444
I'm not saying they are exceptions, I'm saying they were vital to the development of the scientific method.
>>
>>1896531
Name one field founded by Gauss.
>>
>>1897145
>>1897149
>>1897239
This is really terrible bait.
>>
>>1894942
>France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics
very debateable

> founded Chemistry (Lavoisier)
not debateable, both the british and the germans surpassed them in this field

>as well as modern Medicine (Pasteur)
harvey, lister, jenner, flemming the first real epidemiology studies

>Physics like Electrodynamics (Ampere) and Thermodynamics (Carnot)
again newton, also hooke, and the turn of the century work on atomic structure

>biology with Darwin (prefigured by Lamarck)
lamarck was a hack and his ideas didnt effect darwin
>>
>>1897588
Less so than French thinkers.
>>
>>1895719
The Renaissance alone doesn't outweigh almost every other art movement in Western history combined.
>>
>>1897149
>Art:
>1. France
>2. Italy
>3. Germany
>4. Britain
>Literature:
>1. France
>2. Germany
>3. Italy
>4. Britain

in no way is germany above britain in art and in no way are any of those nations above britain in literature
>>
>>1897584
Russia is good. But in both quantity and quality can't even compete with Britain and France.
>>
>>1897610

>very debateable
And yet you can't debate it.

>not debateable, both the british and the germans surpassed them in this field
Lavoisier is literally referred to as "the Father of Chemistry". Before him there was only alchemy.

>harvey, lister, jenner, flemming
All dwarfed by Pasteur.

>again newton, also hooke
What do they have to do with electrodynamics or thermodynamics?

>lamarck was a hack and his ideas didnt effect darwin
Lamarck discovered the evolution of species, and you might want to learn to speak English.
>>
>>1897616
>muh Shakespeare and... uh...
>>
>>1897145
>>1897149
>Why is France so far behind? For such a great country they're really lacking in science.

How the fuck did this become such a meme among idiots? France was historically THE scientific nation.
>>
Estonia.
>>
>>1896531

Henri Poincaré :
Galois
Cauchy
>>
People shouldn't be so butthurt and surprised at France dominating every field. Until the 19th century France was the most populated country in Europe by far, it would be strange if it didn't surpass the other countries in achievements. On top of that it's also the birthplace and the hub of Western civilisation.
>>
>>1894213
The eternal Kraut's achievements:

>Destruction of the Roman empire
>Feudalism which made 99% of people in Europe illiterate and servants to the nobles
>Religious fanaticism
>Protestant reformation and the degeneracy of chriatianiry, wars of religion which killed millions
>Creation of Marxism and other marxist philosophies
>All world wars
>The EU
>Massive immigration into Europe and the destruction of the white race

The eternal Anglo's achievements:
>Magna carta
>largest empire in history
>creation of the US
>developed physics(Newton),theory of evolution(Darwin),Modern economics(Smith),political theory(Hobbes),classical liberalism(Locke)
>English is one of the world's international language and the language we're using right now
>spread of democracy,liberty, and capitalism all over the Earth

Germans are the niggers of Europe.
>>
>>1897634
Really? Didn't know Newton, Darwin, DaVinci, Einstein, the renaissance, the industrial revolution, etc. were french.

Maybe the french invented the car? or the airoplane? or maybe railroads and locomotives? Nope, sorry.
>>
File: 1435947159539.jpg (172KB, 1144x864px) Image search: [Google]
1435947159539.jpg
172KB, 1144x864px
>>1897634
Especially considering mathematics
>>
>>1897584
Russian literature is shit
>>
File: 1475970271958.png (352KB, 1386x792px) Image search: [Google]
1475970271958.png
352KB, 1386x792px
>>1894213
The eternal Anglo can only steal.
>>
>>1897859
Buridan, Oresme, Descartes, Lavoisier, Ampere, Carnot, Pasteur just to name a few were all French, the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution are not scientific achievements (especially not the Renaissance which was a dark age for science, something you really should know before posting here).

And yes the French invented the car and the locomotive (Cugnot), the airplane (Du Temple, Ader, and Santos-Dumont), along with most other major Western inventions, from the steam and internal combustion engines to photography and cinema.
>>
>>1894213

Germany ofc. Then France btw.
>>
>>1897882
Wow, what a sad post. I feel sorry for France now.

Next tell me all about Nicolas Telsaux, the French inventor of space travel
>>
>>1897901
Out of arguments but still butthurt. How predictable.

See >>1897666 and stop being so salty.
>>
>>1897903
How can i argue against someone who tells me the grass is blue? If the idiots wants to believe the grass is blue good for him.

So good for you.
>>
>>1894215
"Germanics" are an ancient ethnicity, and that's why nations form in the first place, to house an ethnicity in a certain geographical area
>>
>>1897908
Here's some free advice. When your world view gets destroyed by facts that you are incapable of refuting, you have two options: either change your world view to fit the facts, or angrily hold your hands over your ears so you can keep living in your little fantasy world. You're choosing the wrong option.

But maybe that sort of cartesian rationalism is too French for you.
>>
>>1894522
Are you after truth or to fuzzy feelies?
>>
>>1897625
hardy, laurence, dickens, johnson, sheridan, shelley browning, tennyson, wordsworth coleridge, keats, stephenson kipling, austen, gaskel, george elliot, the brontes, johnson, marlowe, milton, jonson, beckett waugh, orwell, huxley, arguably oscar wilde and bernard shaw, smollet ted hughes, phillip larkin.

its hard to deny with a straight face that britain has made major contributions to world literature, exceeding that of any other nation and certainly exceeding france and germany
>>
Britain

>Second Agricultural Revolution
(Jethrow Tull/Robert Bakewell/Andrew Meikle/James Smith/Patrick Bell/John Bennet Lawes/John Fowler/Dan Albone/Rex Paterson)
>Industrial Revolution
(Thomas Savery/Andrew Gordon/James Watt/Humphrey Davy/Richard Trevithick/Michael Faraday/Robert Forester Mushet/Alexander Graham Bell/Abraham Darby/Herbert Akroyd Stuart/Joseph Bramah/Harry Brearley/George Richards Elkington/Isambard Kingdom Brunel/William Sturgeon/Francis Thomas Bacon/John Ramsbottom/Alexander Parkes)
>Enlightenment, Philosophy, Empiricism, and Modern Political Theory
(Francis Bacon/Adam Ferguson/John Locke/Thomas Hobbes/David Hume/Robert Hooke/Jeremy Bentham/Thomas Henry Huxley/Thomas Robert Malthus/Charles Darwin/John Hadley)
>Modern Physics
(James Clerk Maxwell/Issac Newton/John Dalton/William Sturgeon/Stephen Hawking/George Boole)
>Modern Economics
(Adam Smith/John Maynard Keynes)
>Modern Armed Forces
(Oliver Cromwell/Alexander John Forsyth/Frank Whittle/Robert Watson-Watt/Henry Shrapnel/Robert Whitehead/David Stirling/Ernest Dunlop Swinton/Archibald Low)
>Modern Medicine
(William Harvey/Edward Jenner/Stephen Hales/Joseph Lister/John Snow/James Blundell/James Young Simpson/James Parkinson/William Boog Leishman/Ronald Ross/Alexander Fleming/Francis Crick/Frederick Sanger/James Lind)
>Computers, Television and the Internet
(Charles Babbage/H. J. Round/John Logie Baird/Alan Turing/Tim Berners-Lee/Ada Lovelace/Tom Kilburn)
>>
>>1898020
>Dickens, some Irishmen, and a bunch of literally whos

>its hard to deny with a straight face that britain has made major contributions to world literature, exceeding that of any other nation and certainly exceeding france and germany
You're a monolingual ultra-pleb who has never even read anything that wasn't Anglo shit, you have absolutely no clue about literature. If you weren't stuck inside your little Anglo microcosm you'd know both French and German literatures far surpass the English. I can name at least a dozen authors from each that completely eclipse any Anglo but Shakespeare.
>>
>>1898025
>>1898020
>let me just spam a bunch of completely irrelevant names that nobody outside of little island has ever heard of

Bong delusion of grandeur at its finest.
>>
>>1898083
>completely irrelevant
>nobody has ever heard of

Why don't you look them up you ignorant little spaztic
>>
>>1898092
Because nobody cares about you copypasting your island's phone book.

Here I'm just going to look up one name at random:

>Robert Forester Mushet
>Robert Forester Mushet (8 April 1811 – 29 January 1891) was a British metallurgist and businessman
>he built a foundry
>that's literally it

I realise that as a bong you need to considerably lower your standards for what constitutes a great achievement so you can keep your national pride going, but if you start bragging to other people with this embarrassing shit you should know you're just going to get laughed at. This is Black History Month tier.
>>
>>1897864
I really really like this picture.
>>
>>1894562
the US do just fine
>>
>>1894247
Sounds comfy
>>
File: french.jpg (17KB, 730x500px) Image search: [Google]
french.jpg
17KB, 730x500px
>>1894213
Neither.
>>
>>1894423
/thread
>German
>Intellectual
>Tradition
England vs France would've made more sense
>>
>>1897583
retarded namefag is retarded
>>
what about Spain?
>>
>>1894423
The "Germany" everyone talks about in this thread wasn't even a thing from the end of the Holy Roman Empire to 1871 and until then Austria was considered part of Germany (was even part of the Holy Roman Empire or 1st Reich), so dividing those 2 in a time from 1400-1950 seems bullshit to me
>>
>>1897815
>germanics: invented hut bricks from their own shit

The German shtick is to get butthurt and then fuck everything up spectacularly
>>
File: Comrad.jpg (18KB, 220x295px) Image search: [Google]
Comrad.jpg
18KB, 220x295px
>>1894213
Serbia
>>
>>1894423
>Norway above Portugal
>a subjugated arctic shithole did better than a sprawling global empire

This has to be bullshit.
>>
>>1901596
Being nigger rich isnt an accomplishment.
>>
>>1894276
Also don't forget that Haber almost saved ~60 million lives with his invention of chemical weapons.
>>
File: raw grounded pork rolls.jpg (83KB, 600x799px) Image search: [Google]
raw grounded pork rolls.jpg
83KB, 600x799px
>>1894213
Gernany.
They eat en masse red meat, that's why their brains are bigger.
>>
>>1903964
lol
>>
File: Captured Germans.jpg (247KB, 1200x811px) Image search: [Google]
Captured Germans.jpg
247KB, 1200x811px
>>1894213
BRITAIN! It's not even that close
England would probably beat the rest of Europe combined, maybe the world. The Anglo-Saxon diaspora certainly would.

Germany's finest minds all agree on one thing, the superiority of the ANGLOS!

>Taking mathematics from the beginning of the world to the time when Newton lived, what he had done was much the better half. [GOTTFRIED WILHELM LIEBNIZ]

>The English — the best race in the world — cannot lose! [LUDWIG WITTGENSTEIN] <-Reluctant Anglophile alert!

>I do not believe that any book or person or event in my life ever made so great an impression on me as the plays of Shakespeare. They appear to be the work of some heavenly genius. [JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE]

>Holy shit those island monkeys smoked napoleon, a nigger did not see dat comin senpai. If they beat Germany in all out war, all bets are off - they are superior in all conceivable ways. [Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel]

Bottom one is not real.

I love the fatherland but this is demonstrably true. To argue otherwise is to start with the supposition that the most exalted minds Germany has produced were wrong - which undermines your cause.

Imagine if the two had united );, seemed like there were so many opportunities with the hanoverians and all. maybe there's still time.
>>
>>1894287
Yes because contributions to
>(science, humanities etc.)
started in 1900
kys.
>>
>>1894213

Jews
>>
>>1897602
Founding a field is irrelevant, important is how it is filled. And few others were comparably productive, influential and important as Gauss.
>>
>>1897583
Only people from relevant nations are allowed to participate here.
>>
File: 1467215445175.jpg (393KB, 1855x1459px) Image search: [Google]
1467215445175.jpg
393KB, 1855x1459px
>>1894213
Germany
>inb4 Mozart wasn't German
>>
File: 14002903938281.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
14002903938281.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>1904309
>Rommel
>>
File: obama-nobel-prize-mainpic.jpg (18KB, 300x362px) Image search: [Google]
obama-nobel-prize-mainpic.jpg
18KB, 300x362px
>>1894287
>nobel prizes
fucking garbage
>>
German: Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, Strauss, Bach, Brahms, Mahler.

Britain: Britten, Holst, Elgar, Purcell, Handel.

whoops, Handel was German ex-pat.

Not even close.
>>
>>1904321
And von Holst was of German and Swedish descent.
>>
>>1904321
Hayden was also a German expat
>>
German: Einstein, Planck, Heisenberg, Kepler, Haber, Gauss, Ohm, Bosch...

Britain: Isaac FUCKING Newton, Faraday, Hawking, Darwin, Crick, Halley, Francis Bacon, Babbage, Turing...

Advantage: Britain.
>>
Britain: James Cook, Francis Drake, Alexander MacKenzie, Ranulph Fiennes, Walter Raleigh, Louis & Mary Leaky, Darwin...

German: Alexander von Humboldt, Heinrich Schliemann

Advantage: Britain.
>>
>>1904206

did Wittgenstein really say that?
>>
>>1904321
>>1904380
>>1904400

cherrypicking
>>
File: keats.jpg (53KB, 436x320px) Image search: [Google]
keats.jpg
53KB, 436x320px
>>1904321
>no Tallis
>no Byrd
>no Walton
>no Blow

You're pleb is showing. Mozart and Mahler were Austrian btw...

When it comes to literature, the Germans lose.

>Shakespeare
>Milton
>Marlowe
>Chaucer
>Austen
>Keats
>Pope
>Dickens
>Bunyan
>Kyd
>etc
>>
Discoveries/Inventions

Germany:
- Deciphering of cuneiform by Georg Friedrich Grotefend;
- Kepler's laws of planetary motion by Johannes Kepler;
- Mitosis by Hugo von Mohl;
- Haber process by Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch; - Printing with movable type, by Johannes Gutenberg
- Aspirin, Morphine, medical x-rays
- rockets
- Planck Constant; Theory of Relativity

Britain:
- Reflecting telescope, Isaac Newton
- Steam engine: Richard Trevithick, 1801
- Electric motor: Michael Faraday, 1821
- Photography: William Henry Fox Talbot, 1835
- Electric telegraph: Charles Wheatstone & William Cooke, 1837
- Telephone: Alexander Graham Bell, 1876
- Light Bulb: Joseph Swan, 1880
- World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee, 1989
- Analytical Engine, Charles Babbage
- Television, John Logie Baird, 1925
- Internal combustion engine - Samuel Brown
- Microchip - Geoffrey W.A. Dummer
- Vacuum tube - John Ambrose Fleming
- Steel production Bessemer process - Henry Bessemer

Advantage: Draw.
>>
>>1904434
German in this instance means people who comprise the German nation.
>>
Definitely literature leans in favor of Britain.

Goethe could arguably be a push with Shakespeare, but Britain has a continual stream of output that Germany can't compete with.

Philosophy on the other hand...
>>
>>1904242
>Founding a field is irrelevant
Well that was pathetic.
>>
It's pretty close. Britain is better at science, Germany is better at music. Both are ok at philosophy, pretty good at literature, and pretty bad at art and architecture.

Overall Britain is slightly ahead. Both are of course significantly below France.
>>
>>1904206
Holy shit, they're real
>>
>>1905267
Also, Wittgenstein is prolly the most german german of the germans (an autist), so this pretty much settles it.
>>
>>1905272
Wittgenstein is literally the greatest philosopher of all time, have some respect
>>
>>1905278
He also lived most of his life in England
Also, 4u
>>
>>1894522

How much of a simpleton do you have to be to post something like this?
>>
>>1904685
Being the first one to dabble in a certain direction is completely unimportant. Important is getting shit done.
>>
File: 1392348428310.gif (2MB, 389x279px) Image search: [Google]
1392348428310.gif
2MB, 389x279px
>>1904710
>France
>relevant when it comes to anything that doesn't involve surrendering
>>
>>1894942
>Even our current postmodern world is built on post-structuralist philosophy, the work of Frenchmen like Foucault and Derrida

Perhaps your other points are correct, but you are talking out of your ass here.
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.