[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is "modern art" anyways?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Piet_Mondrian_Bauhaus.jpg (65KB, 746x747px) Image search: [Google]
Piet_Mondrian_Bauhaus.jpg
65KB, 746x747px
When I started checking out "modern art" movements, I always come out with a very wierd feeling of cognitive dissonance.

Let's say for Dada:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dada

This wiki page lists Ebola as a Dada artist.
What the fuck? Isn't this guy loved by traditionalists?

Then I look at futurism and it looks to me like the Nazis would of happily torched it if they could.

Then I look at pic related, and have no idea what I'm seeing, are there any principles to Bauhaus? Isn't it supposed to be architecture?

I have read the "Dada manifesto" and also what I think was the "Bauhaus manifesto" and while they are cutesy I think I came out more confused in the end.

What is this madness? Is it supposed to just be autistic and nothing more or is there something based in it? And also, what is the relationship between different 20th century ideologies and ideologues to all of this?
>>
>>1888729
bump for interest
>>
>>1888729
"Modern Art" is a vague term which the layman will give one definition, and the obsessive art historian another.
>>
>>1888729
If dada and bauhaus are what you'd like to understand check out a lecture by Experimental Jetset.
>>
>>1888729
Modern art all falls into one of two categories.

1: Genuine artists sincerely trying to find new and interesting forms of expression.

2: Hacks relying on the fact that much of the art community is either to insincere or insecure, or both, to call them on their shit.

Usually the best way to tell them apart is to listen or read about what the artist has/had to say. If they sound phony they probably are.
>>
File: download.jpg (2KB, 103x144px)
download.jpg
2KB, 103x144px
>>1889136
/Thread

This is now a thread to state your favorite artist and/or artistic time period. Tell us why they're/it's the best.

Albrecht Durer is one of my personal favorites he was a master of many mediums, and he was badass.
>>
>>1889427
Sorry for the ant picture, on moblie so i can't get it to scale up
>>
Bumpy
>>
>>1888729
Modern art is the term given to often disparate concurrent and successive art movements and styles from (give or take) the 1860s to 1970s. Similar to terms in music such as Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc the term delineates eras by a combination of time and style.

>>1889427
>/thread now time for a derail!
fuck off and kys you're self
>>
>>1889975
>he term delineates the era*
>>
>>1888729
"modern art" is art in which the pleasure of the experience is in exercising your ability to contrive a meaning from something that is disorderly, unsettling, and unpredictable, or brings this ability into question.

It is enjoyed primarily by nihilists.
>>
>>1890331
That's a good working definition.
I'd go further and say that modern art does not strive to be beautiful but rather to provoke a response. The response is generally "wtf I am looking at?" but modern art contents itself in merely being in need of interpretation.
>>
>>1888729
Do you mean modernist or postmodernist art? Like "modern" can be anywhere between the renaissance and now

postmodern art was pretty much the western world after WWI learning everything they knew was a lie sought to find something new.
>>
>>1889427
>I am a brainlet, let us please go to something I can understand.
>>
File: Ulrich Eternity.jpg (724KB, 746x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ulrich Eternity.jpg
724KB, 746x1000px
>>1889427
My favorite period is current where you can really explore wonderful world of art yourself. I don't like to rely on the established known, famous names.
>>
>>1891413
>Like "modern" can be anywhere between the renaissance and now
That's a commonly understood definition in terms of history, not in terms the arts, which is 1860-1970, more or less.
>>
>>1891413
Modern means completely different things in history and arts and pretty much any field has their own meaning for it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.