[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophical reasons not to kill yourself: 1. ???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 14

File: 120409_r22060_g2048-1200.jpg (133KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
120409_r22060_g2048-1200.jpg
133KB, 1200x803px
Philosophical reasons not to kill yourself:
1. ???
>>
>>1888351

For me, it's a personal "fuck you" to God.
>>
>>1888351
For me, the only reason I keep living is that I am already alive and it would be pathetic to finish it. Just keeping the status-quo in a way.

But lets say if the plane I am on board starts trembling and heads for a crash, I would remain calm and take it easily.
>>
>>1888351
Donald J. Trump and the possibility of history getting interesting again.
>>
Nothing proves me that it will be better once I'm dead
>>
>>1888351
1. Life is fundamentally good and has meaning
2. ???
>>
>>1888351
Death is scary
>>
Philosophically?

Because life is amazing. Go outside and look around. Every little leaf of grass, to the flowers, to the trees is a living thing. A living thing!
Every other thing was invented by your fellow man from scratch. Men who sat there wondering how they could improve the world, and succeeded.

Realistically?
Because suicide is the pussy way out. You're giving up on life, why? Because you think the worlds got it out for you? You're 'depressed'? Because your life is oh so miserable?

The people fighting warlords in Africa on a daily basis aren't pussies. And they're lives are 10x worse than yours. The world doesn't have it out for you, you're just a self-loathing, self-pitying retard. Life is only miserable because you perceive it that way. If you think life is being unfair, which its not, then you use all the bullshit to better yourself
>>
>>1888552
>Because suicide is the pussy way out
>implying you have the mental fortitude required to break your biological imperative and end your own life
>>
>>1888557
most people who kill themselves are mentally unstable, I wouldn't call it fortitude.
>>
>>1888351
There is none. Things will happen how they will. Free will is a human-made concept and most likely an illusion.
>>
>>1888351
What's my motive not to kill myself?

Certainly not my will to live.
>>
>>1888351
Being is more satisfying than not being.
>>
Because suicide is the ultimate false illusion. The idea that you can end the suffering in life by ending it is the most stupid concept ever conceived by mankind. In fact, the only way to live your life is to not retreat into comfortable fictions like that, but to affirm suffering and embrace it. If you don't affirm suffering and death that is inevitable tied to life, you will never be free from your own comforting fantasies. You will forever remain stuck in a fake world, with no hope of escaping.
>>
>>1888552
wow you seem pretty spooked anon
that and very naive
>>
>>1888631
t. someone who never suffered
>>
>>1888552
>le people in Africa

lol
>>
>tfw you don't really decide if you will kill yourself or not
>>
>>1888798
He's right that you need to affirm your suffering though, and trust me I'm not sheltered nu male
>>
Food, drugs, music and sex
>>
File: 1467102021967.jpg (28KB, 348x362px) Image search: [Google]
1467102021967.jpg
28KB, 348x362px
>mfw I just realized I could kill myself right now and nobody would know or care for at least 3 days
>>
File: a125.jpg (25KB, 603x464px) Image search: [Google]
a125.jpg
25KB, 603x464px
"Without the idea of suicide I would have surely killed myself." — Emil Cioran
>>
I like doing things
>>
>>1888351
Experience everything you can on your short time on earth. You're going to die anyway, might as well make the most out of this life doing what you want to do.
>>
>>1888557
This. I couldn't commit suicide even if I wanted to die, shit's too frightening.
>>
>>1889264
hm same
>>
>>1888798
He's right, suffering as human as breathing or fucking. Very few people don't suffer in some form or another, and even fewer are bitter when they do suffer.
>>
music?
philosophy?
nature?
space?
video games?
>>
>>1888868
While the people in africa comparison is a meme, he is right in implying that happiness is all about perspective.

I bet an african warrior feels much happier and fulfilled than a depressed soccer mom on opiates.
>>
Because you're gonna die anyways
>>
>>1888351
Because why put in the effort when I'm going to die anyway. Until then I'll try to find whatever cool shit I can find.
>>
>>1888351
You have a conscious god damn mind, enjoy it
>>
Honestly, the major reason I cooked up in my head is that the world is an interesting place and I would like to be alive to observe as much of it as possible. That and I just irrationally enjoy humanity as a whole.
>>
>>1888794
SPOOK
SPO OK
S POOK
SPOOK
SP OOK
S POOK
SP OOK
SPO Ok
>>
>>1888351
Technically speaking there is also no argument FOR killing yourself either.
>>
File: sigh.jpg (263KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
263KB, 2000x1000px
>>1888351

>ctrl+f
>no Revolt

Everyone ITT kys
>>
>>1888351
It requires taking action.
>>
>>1888483
So you will kill yourself after election day?
>>
>>1888552
Wanting to die is a different feeling from sad, depressed, etc. They're related, but separate. You can feel those feelings wanting to live. It's confusing because suicidal people associate those negative feelings with suicide and they make suicidal tendencies worse, but suicide is more associated with a loss of agency or an existential crisis. Suicide is when you have lost the motivation to deal with the struggle of life, not any objective level of hardship.

I can tell you've never felt suicidal before due to your characterization of suicide.
>>
File: 1468988772295.jpg (372KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1468988772295.jpg
372KB, 500x750px
>tfw you realize suicide is as pointless as living
>>
File: image.jpg (209KB, 1600x1126px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209KB, 1600x1126px
>>1888351
I truly want to fucking die, but I'd feel like an asshole if I killed myself... Well I woundnt feel anything but you get what I mean..
>>
>>1888631
5 star post

>>1888798
retard
>>
What keeps me from suicide is the remote possibility that I might somehow get laid one day.
>>
>>1890458
do u have money?
>>
>>1888351
It's gonna happen anyway there's literally no rush.
>>
>>1888351
Suicide is immoral. It's a violation of the value of one's consciousness. It's a complete disrespect of one's own humanity.
>>
>>1890465
Of course I don't.
>>
>>1890574
Sleep is a violation of one's consciousness.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 540x405px
I quite like living.

And I like talking to you lads as well
>>
>>1890671
No, sleep is a practical necessity for consciousness. Consciousness needs sleep, but suicide is purely a product of the conscious will devaluing and destroying itself.
>>
>>1888483
The toppling of the United States of America. Ahh, I can already see butthurt historians in the future. Might even be more salty than Rome-lovers.
>>
>>1889401
That right there.
>>
>>1888351
It's too easy a solution, I'm a positive fucker so it's hard for me to say die.
>>
1) I consider suicide the pinnacle of weakness
2) Why leave today when there's always tomorrow
>>
>>1888351
There is literally no logical or rational reason not to just die. It's the revelation that debunks the idea of perfect human society as being rational or scientific. Logic and reasons are tools, not ends. To think otherwise is literally inhuman. Without our instincts or inherent 'emotional' warrants our arguments lose purpose and meaning.
Like solving practice equations in maths rather than formulas that help you design a building. Purpose is in and of itself irrational.
>>
Death is equivalent to a neutral state of being. If your expectations for the remainder of your life is to be happier than neutral you shouldn't kill yourself, otherwise you should.
>>
File: 1465937985836.png (1MB, 1694x906px) Image search: [Google]
1465937985836.png
1MB, 1694x906px
>>1888351
I am a secular humanist
>>
>>1888351
1. It's a life denying action
2. It's immoral-taking away your own pain and putting it on others who would regret your loss
3. not allowing yourself to grow theologically into your actualized self
4. You won't get to see the interesting progression in history that will take place during the time you're alive
5. you haven't seen most of the world, and so you're cutting yourself short of experiencing beauty
6. there are ways to escape suffering without ending your own life

Now that I've given you some reasons to stay alive, I implore you to give me a philosophical reason to die.
>>
>>1891205
Is that Black Mirror? Looks like it's from Black Mirror.
>>
I think human life is already just a big joke to some higher being/beings. To them edgy fucks who commit suicide are the funniest part of the human condition. Aka id rather suffer and be a minor joke than a fucking laughable cuntwad who whines and bitches so much that he decides "ugh everything is so DUMMM!!!!! :-( :-( :-("
>>
>>1888351
The others, obviously.
But even in the situation where a person cannot be materially effectual then there is still the possible theistic cosmology of a finite community where thinking alone could be potent.
>>
Because you'd make your mother sad.
>>
It doesn't matter how much I could rationalise it to myself, I know it would cause tremendous paint to my friends and family. The thought of the emotional and mental anguish I would cause for those who would care enough for me to have it in the first place is more than enough to put me off it.
>>
>>1888477
Yeah, I doubt that
>>
>>1889264
Just because it's the weekend and you're living alone
>>
>>1891310
yes it is
>>
i just wanna see where this shit leads lol
>>
File: get-out.jpg (24KB, 433x225px) Image search: [Google]
get-out.jpg
24KB, 433x225px
Fuck off back to /leftypol/, RA.
>>
>>1888351
Whenever I do something I regret I eat
I can't eat when I'm dead
>>
But I am killing myself, everyday I am one step closer to death..
>>
I can almost envy those suicidal. I am terrified of death. An eternal slumber. An eternal pit of darkness. How cruel a thing that we are made aware of our inevitable destruction into nothingness.
>>
>>1888351
Because there would be no difference.
>>
>>1888351
hi hello this is an 18+ only board
>>
>>1888351
Quantum immortality
You literally cannot die no matter how much you want to
>>
>>1888552

>le be urself of philosophy
>>
Your body wants you to keep on living. That's the only reasonable answer.
>>
Because I'm extremely curious.
2017 is going to be an interesting year, no matter who will win- Trump or Hillary.
>>
>>1893027
Yes. The body is extremely hard to kill and has a life on it's own.

It is indeed possible to become "dead inside" during your life and lose that spark or your soul or whatever makes you human. And it's gone FOREVER. Guess what? You don't need that shit in order to procreate. Sure, your children will immediately sense for a lifeless, cold and dead person you are and they will become the same, but they too can procreate.

Actually it is far more likely that a person who didn't die inside kills himself than a living zombie. There are in fact entire generations where the parents at one point died inside and can't pass on what makes a human, human, because they don't have it and so you have entire generations of living zombies. Probably 80% are like that.
>>
>>1888351
Life has known good, death is unknown
>>
>>1894426
>>1894426
What I wanted to say is that the body can eat, sleep etc... and do everything to survive but it DOES NOT need a fully functioning person inside. It can do that automatically.

Why is it so hard to kill yourself? In order to do that decision you need a full human inside yourself. After he's gone it's not possible to do it. The body doesn't have the freedom to do it.

Does that sound creepy? I think yes. I think it is that why we have movies etc. where people demonstrate how to behave. After a body died inside he doesn't know how to behave. You might call that narcissism. It has no individuality anymore. It is a living, breathing automata.
>>
>>1888351

There is no philosophical basis to anything, philosophy is a method not a body of facts.
>>
>>1894512
Philosophy is not a method, it's a field.
>>
>>1888552
>Because suicide is the pussy way out

>If you to it you're le pussy
>le starving pplz in Africa!!! if other lives are shittier than yours your is great!!!!!!!

Wow, 10/10, made me burst into tears of joy

If anything one would want to kill himself ven more after realizing most people are tards like you

Also what the fact is this "philosphically"/"realistically" distinction you're using?

It literally doesnt mean anything, it doesn't make you sound smarter, it makes you sound even dumber.
>>
>>1888351
Because nihilism and absurdism are pathetic traps only the most inactive and unrooted of minds could fall for.
>>
>>1895195
Nah don't say that. It's really easy to fall for nihilism in a society that doesn't stress spirituality.
>>
>>1888351
>Philosophical reasons not to kill yourself

Depends on your philosophy.
>>
>>1894778
Philosophically in the sense that you look at life as a grand scheme, and you try to find inherent meaning in it.

Realistically in the sense that life is just life, and shit happens. Retard

>>1888794
Spooked about what?

And no, im just generally happy to be alive. If you're saying thats naivety because later awful shit well happen, well guess what awful shit has already happened to me.
And I chose to not be a faggot and continue living and thriving
>>
>>1895206
You don't even need spirituality even if that is one of the most popular alternatives.
It's really easy to avoid it by simply not holding down a feminized mindset.
>>
>>1890349
Suicide is by definition giving up on life. My "Whys" for suicide were just the very first reasons I came up with.

You trying to negotiate different reasons for suicide doesn't have anything to do with his question or my response.

>I can tell you've never felt suicidal before due to your characterization of suicide.
I tried to kill myself with pills once but nice try
>>
>>1895264
Explain
>>
>>1888351
Because I'm afraid of what might come next.
I think therefore I am
I am therefore I can be
I can be therefore I might be again

My existence is evidence that my consciousness can be - thru some means- ripped from the void and into a physical form.
Basically I don't wanna become an anglerfish, or a boltzmann brain in some faraway chaotic mists of perpetual suffering.

Also if something persists after physical deterioration, there is no evolutionary pressure for it to be any pleasant. It is after the usfulness line.

I live in a universe where consciousness arises out of matter and effciency coincides with cruelty. Souls devour each other by the millions each seconds Mechanistic, not just.
>>
File: tip.png (117KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
tip.png
117KB, 320x263px
>>1888359
>>
>>1895306
>I think therefore I am
prove it
>>
>>1895451
To think entails that you exist, boyo.
>>
>>1895264
Can you explain this because I had a similar thought-process as this when I was high one time.
>>
I don't kill myself because I consider myself humble and prefer to wait until my last day to see if there is, in fact, an answer or conclusion that proves me wrong and shows me that having been alive was actually "worth it".

If I am wrong, then how would I care if I'd be dead anyway.
>>
>>1890711
Trump has a nice chance of winning, which means it is not certain that USA could fall, it won't if he beats Hillary.
>>
File: 1468642417935.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468642417935.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>1888359
>Implying there's a god
>>
>>1895274
>I tried to kill myself with pills once but nice try
>with pills
you didn't actually want to die, did you? no-one who tries a pill overdose actually wants to die, because everyone knows it's the shittiest way to kill yourself. no-one ever dies from a pill overdose, they get their stomach pumped and people finally listen to their cries for help.
if you actually wanted to die you'd have jumped off a building or stuck a knife in your throat, so like you said, "nice try"
>>
Is there a more pathetic field out there than philosophy?

>engage in philosophy
>kill yourself
>>
>>1896451
more like
>attempt to discover truths
>find that you should probably just kill yourself
>>
>>1893017
This
>>
>>1893017
so what happens then?
>>
>>1894426
non sense
>>
You'll die anyway eventually, then you'll be nothing for an eternity.
So no reason to not lurk along until that eternity comes for as logn as possible.
>>
>>1889401
okay, but can you function in a society like ours with that mindset?
i mean, i cannot bring myself to work for someone 9-5, knowing there's an entire planet/ universe to explore or a million thoughts to think about, yet i have to be there 8 hours a day, thinking about my work exclusively.
fuck that
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
>>1888351
There is existence after death. Whatever you do to hurt and kill yourself you'll feel in full in the afterlife. Also your problems will not go away.
>>
Arguably, you have a respnsibility for yourself and your future self. It depends on what understanding of ethics you find most reasonable, really.
>>
>>1888351
It's a waste of a life even though life has no meaning
>>
File: 1477867116074.png (208KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1477867116074.png
208KB, 500x374px
>>1888552
if life is so amazing why did i have the misfortune of seeing this shit post made by a fag
>>
Humans are the only living being on earth to have intellectual capabilities. And because we have the ability to reason, we should be morally obligated to not insult our superior intellect by killing ourselves because we're not happy with life
>>
>>1888351
None
>>
>>1893017
Wow the concept of immortality just became much more believable now you stuck the word quantum onto it
>>
>>1894450
Smoke less weed
>>
>>1888351
Life can be fun sometimes
>>
>>1888351
Philosophical reasons to kill yourself:
1. ???
>>
John 12:25
He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

This is Jesus himself saying this. Do not expect your life to be good, easy or without struggle or trials. Rather know and realize that everything in this world will pass away in the end so it would be better for you to dedicate your life to building your faith and good works. Good works without faith are not enough.

James 2:17-19
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone *.
Yea, a man may say , Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe , and tremble .
Rev 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
>>
As far as what happens to you when you die and where your spirit goes, it depends on how you are judged in the end.

Rev 20:13
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Rev 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable , and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

"Hell"
http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/gehenna/
"Purgatory" or "Hades"
http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/bakers-evangelical-dictionary/sheol.html
http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/hades/
>>
So to answer your question...

Philosophical reasons not to kill yourself:
1. Acts 13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Purpose-in-Life/
>>
>>1901779
>>1896565
>>1893017
This is completely retarded. Many world shitters need to be flushed.
>>
>>1888359
>implying he didn't intend for you to live
>>
>>1895451
he just did
>>
>>1895264
check this fag
'nihilism is for chicks m8'
>>
>>1888359
>one enemy remained; two if you counted God
>>
>>1888552

>Because suicide is the pussy way out.

thats basicaly emotional blackmail

not that we dont need every possible reason to keep ourselves from killing ourselves, so even emotional blackmail like that is usefull to people, but its realy superficial and in the longrun its ineffective, in fact the more 'badass' a human is the more likely hes able to kill himself, especialy people who have actual experience fighting and killing, these are at high suicide risk since using lethal violence to solve problems comes easy to them

if you had more life experience youd know that attaching things like - other people/family/loved ones - makes the emotional blackmail far more efficient, since its not just about calling someone a pussy, calling someone a pussy might just get one to want to kill themselves more for being a pussy, but if you have others as reasons then you have no choice but to soldier on untill death, this even works in times of war and calamity, it actualy even gets people to go into suicide missions and selfsacrifice, so its actualy a twosided sword of sorts, but in peacetime its a good way to remind people not to kill themselves, to get them to accept suffering and just deal

>Because life is amazing.

as a child you can be fascinated by practicaly anything, as you get older it just becomes a continuous infinite spectacle, a mindbogling, psychedelic, irreducibly-complex, utterly meaningless chaos that you just push trough like a icebreaker trough a frozen sea, its not even that you become to jaded to stop and appreciate the beauty of a flower or someshit, its that every thing becomes just another hypercomplex manifestation, its tiersome, repetitive, burdening, its inescapable, simplicity and deadness becomes revarding and people seeks them out, people seek escape from that endless bullshit you call amazing, and the only reason most dont kill themselves in one try but do it slowly with abusing substances and such, is instinctive conditioning
>>
>>1888631

>affirm suffering

sure, but, how, what does that operatively mean?

what does 'affirm' mean at all, things like 'affirm life, affirm this that' what does that mean?
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.