[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"God is dead"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: nietz.jpg (228KB, 1361x738px) Image search: [Google]
nietz.jpg
228KB, 1361x738px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1887771
Society is no longer based around the sacred.
Read the book (the prologue will do) there's really no ambiguity.
>>
>>1887782
But it is though. Human rights and democracy are sacred now instead of God.
>>
You have to read the full parable of the mad man to get a clearer picture.

Most people tend to interpret it as Nietzsche making a primarily cultural criticism of his time. The mad man goes out at dawn with a lantern asking for where God is, and people who do not believe in God start responding to him almost mockingly like, "Did you lose him? Is he hiding?" etc. The mad man (assumingly Nietzsche) proceeds to go on about us being the murderers of God, the murderers of murderers, and starts to hypothetically question the ramifications of such a deed. He ends it off saying that he came too soon and the news has not reached everyone else yet; similar scenarios happen in Zarathustra where Zarathustra gives speeches and then concludes that people do not have the right ears to hear what he is saying.

I think it is a bit more than just a cultural criticism. I think it's more a philosophical one, which ties into everything else, including culture. God, i.e. the symbol of the Other and the "objective" and the "definite" and whatever is meant to be reliable and constant in our worldview and consciousness, has been annihilated by our philosophical musings. For Nietzsche, the Dionysian is triumphant; the floodgates of perspectivism open to us a realm that is completely absent from God, the culmination of all ordering forces, the Apollonian. Our musings in philosophy and in science lead us to this.

Not to say that there is only chaos now. More like, order and chaos are now inseparable. The world is a massive whirlpool of will, an eternally recurring storm, this will's nature being will to power and only this. And the mad man asks, mustn't we make ourselves appear as gods so we are worthy of the deed of killing God?

Would appreciate hearing others' thoughts on it.
>>
He meant that Christianity has ceased to be meaningful in the West, and if I look at the christposters on here and the rest of 4chan, I'd say he was completely right
>>
That religion has died and we are ready to enter a new age of reason and truth
>>
>>1887771
>"God is dead"
a very good observation/prediction

also he predicted the way morals would go and how people will instead of focusing on "MUH EBIL" and "MUH GEWD" on trying to reason about things

finally most profound prediction is about the ubermensch

it will happen with genetic engineering
>>
>>1887771
Go read Emerson's Divinity School Address.
>>
>>1887771
I always took it to mean that men no longer consider consulting God, or acting in accordance with God's wishes, or even think about God in the public square.
>>
>>1889076
He did predict that the 20th century, a godless century, would be the bloodiest century the world had ever seen.
>>
>>1889062
This, they are completely btfo from society.
>>
>>1889212
Which probably wasn't that an amazing prediction considering he lived in an era of war himself.
>>
>>1889076
>it will happen with genetic engineering
I agree, but maybe not as directly as you might be thinking.

There's a number of major scientific advancements on the horizon that are going to jump start one hell of a revolution in the future. Genetic engineering, genetic altering of babies pre-birth, 3D printing and organ cloning, bionics, robotics and AI, nanotech and medicine, space travel, etc. joined with the relentless gravitation towards globalism are all going to create a paradigm shift in the world and how we approach the economy, culture, class systems, etc. There will be rebellions, wars, possibly mass enslavement, general chaos; you name it.

Out of the huge disparity between individuals and ideological factions across the globe that all these scientific and technological advancements will lead us to, the Overman will appear again, as he always has during dark ages.
>>
>>1887845
That is Stirners view, correct.
>>
back then no one believed in the heliocentric theory because space was where heaven was suppose to be

nowadays everyone believes in it
so where is heaven now huh?
WHERE IS HEAVEN NOW?
>>
>>1887771
>Be God
>get shot.
>>
>>1887845
People routinely call for actual war crimes against foreigners and wish for theocracy to put an end to people who disagree with them. If human rights and democracy are sacred then the word sacred doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>1887771
No one in modern Europe believed in God, they just used him for ends and pretended to believe in him.

Cultural Christianity and such,
>>
>>1887771
>yfw the full quote could be used in religious discourse to talk about moral degeneration
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.