[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/his/ is for art What does /his/ think of Banksy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: dismaland.jpg (236KB, 1600x1078px) Image search: [Google]
dismaland.jpg
236KB, 1600x1078px
>/his/ is for art

What does /his/ think of Banksy?
>>
>>1886677
hack
>>
>>1886677
5/10 It's Okay
>>
meh
>>
neat but overrated

getting real bored of tracey emin, damien hirst and banksy
>>
>>1886677
just a criminal, both a vandal and a plagiarist
>>
>>1886677

A terrific marketer.

Plus he had the benefit of having a very wealthy/well connected benefactor/patron.
>>
I think his artwork is easy to grasp, translates well to social media, and is lazily ironic, and the sad part is that he perfectly states where we are culturally with regards to art.

He perpetuates the popular consumer icons he pretend to be criticizing, and by doing it outside the traditional art world, shows the devaluation of icons, critique, and the art world itself. After his death he will be elevated to Andy Warhol levels of "importance," showing that while everything else said about him in this thread is true, there was really no one else better encapsulating the zeitgeist of the past decade or so thru art.

Also, Shepard Fairey wishes he were Banksy so bad.
>>
>>1886677
Overrated in terms of street art, it's pretty standard fare. I guess the geographic breadth of his work added to a sense of mystique that he became able to capitalise on.

I don't know whether stuff like Dismaland is overrated or underrated, haven't really read any criticism of it, and the media attention it got that I read was pretty shallow.

>>1888442
>Shepard Fairey
IMO reprehensible hack who elevates banksy in comparison
>>
>>1886677

2edgy4me
>>
>>1886677
meh
>>
>>1886677
why do westerners hate their own culture so much? even as far as making mockery of their own traditional fairytale? you won't find that in asia
>>
>>1889705
Why are asians such slave races that a playful jab at a clean commercial retelling of a traditional German story is seen as an attack on culture?
>>
>>1886677
That's actually kind of interesting, I wonder what he means by this
>>
>>1889705
>>1889761

>implying it's not a fairytale version of the death of Princess Diana, with the mocking being against the journalists more interested in photographing the mess rather than helping her
>>
>>1889785
didn't look at the photographers tbqh
didn't see they were in costume too
genuinely embarrassed
>>
>>1889705
Asians are just subservient.
>>
>>1889792

Specifically, biker costumes, like the journalists chasing her before the crash.
>>
>>1889801
yeah, I realised that after your first post
>>
>>1889777
Princess Diana. The media made her into a fairytale princess and were there at her death
>>
>>1889820

To be fair, i only noticed the cameras, it wasn't until you said that they were in costume that I double checked and saw they were all bikers too.
>>
File: banksy1.png (91KB, 300x228px) Image search: [Google]
banksy1.png
91KB, 300x228px
>>1886677
he's kinda bland
>>
>>1890369
mint
sums up most street art though
>>
>>1886677
I don't understand what's so great about. I find the fountain more interesting.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.