[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Invasion of Grenada Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

What are /his/'s thoughts on Operation Urgent Fury?

Bonus points for Veterans' stories/cool photos
>>
Not a vet, but I was in grade school when it happened. Ask me anything.
>>
File: us marines beirut 1984.jpg (106KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
us marines beirut 1984.jpg
106KB, 1200x800px
>>1878098

How big of a deal was it? Was it dominating the news or did the bombing Lebanon overshadow it/

I can imagine a lot of people were scared that it was going to turn into another prolonged conflict, it was a mere eight years after Vietnam and the devastating emotional impact of that war was still deeply entrenched in the American psyche.
>>
>>1878091
My dad went into Grenada with the Marines, he doesn't talk about it but I'm sure it's just because he didn't really do anything in the first place.
>>
>>1878110
Nah. It was a quickie. Uncle Ronnie came on TV and told us 'we got there just in time,' and it was safely over, mostly. And that was that. It didn;t even get two months in a row of new magazine covers. The Falklands War got more coverage, and we weren't even in it.

I was surprised later to find that the Grenadans were enthused about what they called the 'liberation.' After all, a couple hundred demonstrators had been machine gunned by their Cuban backed ruler... and the Grenadans were and are mostly black, and the Cubans treated them like shit. I recall that as well.
>>
>>1878144
>Grenadans were enthused about what they called the 'liberation.'

Yeah, Grenada's probably the only conflict the US fought since WW2 you could definitely say was fought for freedom. Since the Communist Party had usurped power and executed the previous Prime Minister.

It's an interesting microcosm of the Cold War. Although frankly, I think those troops should've gone to Lebanon instead.
>>
File: grenada-20.jpg (418KB, 758x500px) Image search: [Google]
grenada-20.jpg
418KB, 758x500px
>>1878091
Communists out.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.