[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he, dare I say it, our guy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: friedman.jpg (14KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
friedman.jpg
14KB, 350x500px
Is he, dare I say it, our guy?
>>
>he posted it again
haha, it just gets funnier every time, amirite guyz
>>
>it's an anti-Semitic backwoods libertarians worship a jewish economist episode
>>
>>1876291

It's a libertarians are racist because they dont support violence even though we all agree that the state is violence except in this special circumstance because racism is bad episode.
>>
>>1876291
>It's a anon makes baseless assumptions episode
>>
As a son of Eastern European Jews born and raised in the Brooklyn, I doubt Milton Friedman was anything but a communist.
>>
File: oy vey.png (236KB, 402x482px) Image search: [Google]
oy vey.png
236KB, 402x482px
/pol/ on suicide watch
>>
>>1876291
It might suprise you but to most people not on the far left, failing to support policies based on abstract principles does not make you a racist

to most people your only a racist if you hate people based solely on their race and perceived stereotypes of said race
>>
>>1876371
/pol/ hasn't been libertarian/memecap for years
>>
>>1876262
No, stop posting this you autist
>>
File: AYoungThomasSowell.jpg (128KB, 800x974px) Image search: [Google]
AYoungThomasSowell.jpg
128KB, 800x974px
>>1876262
Why not this guy? He's basically Friedman but more articulate and more of an expert when it comes to history and culture.
>>
>>1876610
hes black tho

also hes literally an uncle and his name is thomas
>>
>>1876610
He hasn't contributed anything noteworthy to economics
>>
>>1876610
he would BTFO of Zizek or Chomsky
>>
>>1876718
Is there anyone who hasn't BTFO of Chomsky?

He really should have stuck to linguistics, it's funny he is the embodiment of Sowell's Vulgar pride of intellectuals.
>>
File: 220px-Sraffa.jpg (19KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Sraffa.jpg
19KB, 220x326px
>anyone but sraffa
>my guy
>>
>>1876262
>Is he, dare I say it, our guy?
if you love him so much you should move to Kansas were Sam Brownback is busy running their economy into the ground trying to make his ideas work.

I'd tell you all about it, but I can't because Brownback cancelled the quarterly report on the status of the state's economy because it was making his "real life experiment" look like an abysmal failure
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-blm-ritholtz-257a04f2-9a1e-11e6-b552-b1f85e484086-20161024-story.html
>>
>>1876718
Noam ain't an economist though

>>1876883
*where
Point to a single thing Friedman got wrong in the field of economics. His political philosophy doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Strong cherry pick as well, if I was to use Johnson's tenure as the government of New Mexico or various other cases could I not claim that they are a complete success?
>>
>>1876982
>His political philosophy doesn't count for obvious reasons.
The problem is he made huge illogical jumps between his fairly sound economic theory and his political philosophy and had some fairly unjustified economic/political opinions that had very little to do with his actual contributions to economics.
>>
>>1876982
>Point to a single thing Friedman got wrong in the field of economics.
I don't need to know the details of Leprechaunology to know that the concept of a Leprechaun is bullshit. I can look at real life and see his ideas failing or succeeding by their own merits.

>cherry pick as well
It's not cherry picking, if by Sam Brownback's own admission it was a direct attempt to apply his ideals as purely and in the most straightforward a way as possible. He even hired Art "cutting taxes increases revenues" Laffer to come help him. That's why he was very specific to call it a "real live experiment" and stake his entire political career on their success, and why he even created those quarterly reports in the first place to monitor the success of his "real life experiment" so that when the time came for him to run for president he had a nice, clear timeline of hard data proving that supply side economics are a right fit for the nation.

Of course there's the small problem that they didn't work, that Kansas is utterly lagging behind all of its neighbors in economic growth, suggesting that his ideals are, at best, situational, as in there are certain instances where it makes sense to cut taxes and roll back regulations, but that it is also an abhorrent mistake to think that it is a panacea that will solve every problem every where.

http://www.taxjusticeblog.org/archive/2015/06/and_thats_a_wrapthe_failed_exp.php
>>
>>1877055
>I don't need to know the details of Leprechaunology
You wanna know how I know that everything else you wrote beyond this is a waste of my time?
>>
>>1877058
>You wanna know how I know that everything else you wrote beyond this is a waste of my time?
Because you came here to deliberately shill for an idea and won't let silly things like "facts" stand in the way of your delusions?
>>
>>1876982
>Point to a single thing Friedman got wrong in the field of economics.
If i was an orthodox i would say that his modelling was pretty much keynesian, that he was subject to lucas critique, and that money supply targeting failed miserably (and was thus replaced by inflation targeting). Since i'm heterodox, i'd say he was wrong about pretty much everything else too.

I never understood what his supposedly big contributions to economics are. Like hayek, he seems to be liked more for his economic philosophy than for his economic theory.
>>
>>1876698
>t Never read his dissertation on Say's Law and the General Glut Controversy
>>
>>1877058
No wait I got it! you'll ignore it because when faced with an argument whose logic is irrefutable it's easier to find something really fucking nitpicky and dwell on it incessantly until the conversation has been completely derailed?
>>
>>1876982
The criticisms I've read so far are that he made the mistake of assuming a direct correlation between the quantity of money and prices by ignoring that impossibility of measuring the exact quantity of money, its' many arbitrary definitions and how to determine what the correct quantity should be for various goals.

He's right that there is a correlation and it can have an effect (even Keynesians point out the that it isn't the quantity alone but also the velocity of money) but the correlation isn't as direct as he proposed.

>>1877055
Linking a few articles won't hide your ignorance of the merits of his contributions to the science.
>>
File: M2VelocityEMratioUS052009.png (27KB, 1236x842px) Image search: [Google]
M2VelocityEMratioUS052009.png
27KB, 1236x842px
>velocity of money
>constant
>>
>>1877154
>Linking a few articles won't hide your ignorance of the merits of his contributions to the science.
And playing them up in the face of catastrophic failure makes you the guy polishing the brass on the titanic.
>>
Friedman argued for, among other things, the deregulation of the financial services industry, open borders, and a whole host of socially liberal policies. For Friedman, money was the object and the community, the enemy.
>>
>>1877175
> catastrophic failure

Yeah righto buddy boy.
>>
>>1877185
Then why can't you account for the failure of supply-side doctrine in Kansas or, shit, Louisiana, for that matter? Both are states who apply his teachings faithfully as admitted by the politicians masterminding them?

Maybe you should spend less time memorizing pointless abstractions and more time paying attention to the real world?

http://www.okhorizon.com/shows/2016-show-archive/february-2016/show-1607/kansas-experiment-failed
>>
>>1877213
Maybe you should spend less time linking pointless articles on a Filipino finger painting board and more time studying history and economics.

Are you going to ignore his positive impacts in; Estonia, Chile, Hong Kong, China & Singapore?

Are you going to ignore his contributions to the field or just keep linking articles about American cities/counties that did one thing or another that you blame Friedman for?
>>
File: werthers.jpg (67KB, 402x471px) Image search: [Google]
werthers.jpg
67KB, 402x471px
>>1877235
>Maybe you should spend less time linking pointless articles on a Filipino finger painting board and more time studying history and economics. *la-la-la-la I can't hear you over the sound of me being right la-la-la*
again you dance around the point rather than fucking address it.
>Are you going to ignore his positive impacts in; Estonia, Chile, Hong Kong, China & Singapore?
Ancient history. Past performance is no guarantee of future results so when you ask a question like "is he our guy"? The answer is "no, he was right for a specific time and in specific instances and our current situation does not fit the criteria where his ideas could be successfully applied, so applying them now and in this day is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole."

I'm linking contemporary developments in an economy that is far more closely related to the one that we currently live in rather than Chile in the 1970's. So address my point or go back to passing out Werther's originals to your grand-kids while watching Fox news and cursing under your breath about colored folk.
>>
>>1877296
I love Werther's Originals and hate fox news, that must make me some sort of extreme radical then.

Since you like linking articles here you go:
http://wichitaliberty.org/kansas-government/myth-kansas-tax-cuts-havent-boosted-economy/

If you were actually interested in the truth you might have found articles that examine the facts past a certain shallow facade, but whatevs mate you do you.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.