[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Liberia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: liberia_2[1].jpg (89KB, 870x1058px) Image search: [Google]
liberia_2[1].jpg
89KB, 870x1058px
What went wrong?

>During the 1950s, Liberia had the second-highest rate of economic growth in the world. By 1971 Liberia had the largest mercantile fleet in the world, the world's largest rubber industry, was the third-largest exporter of iron ore in the world, and had attracted more than US$1 billion in foreign investment.
>>
>>1873509
The civil war that overthrew the African-American-Liberian aristocracy.
>>
>>1873509
>>1873578
That, pretty much. The African-Americans that ran the country acted like the white colonial masters did in the other parts of Africa, and the native populations eventually had enough. They only very recently managed to get their shit back together again.
>>
>>1873582
>The African-Americans that ran the country acted like the white colonial masters did in the other parts of Africa

AKA successfully
>>
>>1873600
Successfully...for them. The native underclass they treated like shit and used as labor for their wealth, not so much. Which in turn lead to the massive resentment.
>>
>>1873509
>largest mercantile fleet
that just means that it is easy, cheap and save for companies all around the world to give your ships Liberian Flags
>>
>>1873509
I wonder how long until the USA tries to make this a federal state, so it can push its interests in the area.
I mean, they founded the country, and locals would mostly win from being absorbed into it.
>>
The poor condition of the Liberian economy, can in large be traced back to the military coup of 1980. The economic mismanagement and the civil war from 1989, led to one of the fastest declines in GDP in history. Between 1989 and 1995, the Liberian GDP was reduced by 90%. Today, the economy seems to back on track, and is among the fastest growing in the world.
>>
>>1873600
AKA civil war prone.
>>
>>1873509
Should have just kept to themselves and not enslaved neighboring peoples, 2bh.
>>
>>1875642
They needed laborers anon.
With pretty much free labour it gives Liberia the ability to pimp out its natives to companies.
>>
>>1875676
Also Liberia needed to expand
>>
The issue was the American Aligned Mulatto Americo elite who refused to create a black nation, rather they sought an American nation in Africa. Whereas the majority black Americo populations and leadership sought to create an Americo-Mandenka society.

Just read any book that goes in depth on the matter.
>>
>>1873980
>Today, the economy seems to back on track, and is among the fastest growing in the world.
And the most Ebola deaths ever
>>
>>1873974
The American Colonization Society was never directly-funded by government, it was always a private charity of sorts.
>>
File: bemused mike.png (313KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
bemused mike.png
313KB, 701x394px
>create a state after you escape slavery
>enslave the native population
>>
>>1873605
Better than without it, now they don't have shit
>>
>>1877450
Slavery was all they knew. Do you seriously expect ex-slaves to build their new government on enlightenment philosophy?
>>
>>1877420
What's your point?
>>
>largest mercantile fleet
Read as: Tons of companies registered their ships there to dodge taxes. This is why you see shitloads of massive cargo ships that are registered in the Bahamas and places like that.
>>
>>1877689
>it's all the white man's fault!
Okay Tyrone. Keep living in denial that not even your fellow African Americans cared enough about their cultural homeland to do anything to it but exploit it.
>>
>>1877689
Well, I mean you'd expect them to have some kind of empathy at the very least. Even Haiti abolished slavery and their population was certainly less educated than former slaves from America.
>>
>>1877751
>>1878335

See >>1876730
>>
File: Samuel_Doe.jpg (67KB, 250x343px) Image search: [Google]
Samuel_Doe.jpg
67KB, 250x343px
>Excuse me? A foreign military has invaded my port? Let's go down to that very same port held in rebel hands, I want to meet them personally!

JUST
>>
>>1878345
He really fucked things up for everyone, didn't he?
>>
>>1877450
>Liberia copied America's senate where the seats were evenly controlled between slave state and free state despite slave states only having 1/3 the population
>in the liberian senate the former slaves and natives each controlled the same number of seats despite the former slaves being less than 1/10 of the population
>>
>>1873509
Corruption, corruption everywhere.
>>
>>1878352
That implies he actually did something. He did absolutely nothing, except chill in the Presidential Manor with his village's tribe he invited to live with, while his country burned.

He became President out of sheer luck: literally walking into the office of the President to complain about soldier's wages, he discovered the President asleep in the next room, completely unattended. Him and his buddies went in there with machetes and hacked him to pieces. A few hours later everyone was looking to him for leadership.
>>
>>1877420
USA has the most peanut related deaths, doesn't stop the economy from being less shit than elsewhere.
>>
>>1878361
>Oh shit the president is asleep
>Better start hacking him up

This sounds like out of a comedy. Do negroes even think their action through or do they just act randomly like that.
>>
>>1877674
Yeah, but say that as the oppressed lower class
>>
>>1878776
I don't know what is racist and what is justified anymore.

FUCK YOU /HIS/
>>
>>1873959
Agreed - it still is technically the second biggest after panama - even though this is basically like being a tax haven.
>>
>>1878776
>Do negroes even think their actions

By these actions he literally became president.

What are you anon? With your comfortable morality.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberian_general_election,_1927

>The 1927 general election was referred to as "the most rigged ever" by Francis Johnson-Morris, a modern head of the country's National Elections Commission,[6] and also made it into the Guinness Book of Records as the most fraudulent ever,[7][8] as despite there being fewer than 15,000 registered voters, King received around 240,000 votes, compared to 9,000 for Faulkner.[6]

Liberia was always shit.
>>
>>1873974
>I wonder how long until the USA tries to make this a federal state
Probably never.
>>
>>1877744
>>1877744
>dodge taxes.

It's about lax safety regulations and non-existent law enforcement.
>>
>>1877450
>If whitey can get rich by raping the land and oppressing its people, we can too!
Post-colonial Africa in a nutshell.
>>
>>1873509
>During the 1950s, Liberia had the second-highest rate of economic growth in the world
Liberia never was rich even in 1950
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.