[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real talk: this move isn't THAT historically inaccurate.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: Gladiator_ver1.jpg (49KB, 272x426px) Image search: [Google]
Gladiator_ver1.jpg
49KB, 272x426px
Real talk: this move isn't THAT historically inaccurate.
>>
>>1873415

Doesn't it have him kill Emperor Commodus in the arena?
>>
After it came out I had a lady friend (tenured school teacher, mind) ask me hey, Phil, you're a history buff. How much of this movie is historically accurate?

I busted out laughing.
>>
>>1873415
Nigga, they cut out the gladiators promoting shitty products because test audiences thought they were being pranked
>>
>>1873419
Different Commodos.
>>
Movies shouldn't and don't have to strive for 100% historical accuracy. Often embellishing the truth will make for a more exciting Hollywood film.
>>
>>1873415
its not even remotely historically accurate, who ever implied it had even a semblance of accuracy?
>>
>>1873431

Granted, it's been a LONG time since I saw the movie, and I wasn't paying super close attention, but I'm like 99% sure it's "Marcus Aurelius's son the one who pretended to be Hercules in the Arena" that Commodus.
>>
>>1873436
My history/gym teacher
>>
>>1873432
Simply put, this.

It's a movie, not a documentary. It's going to fictionalize things to make for a better and more manageable narrative.
>>
>>1873431
>>1873438
It is Commodus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VATFpAtn8M
>>
File: Vici.jpg (240KB, 920x1138px) Image search: [Google]
Vici.jpg
240KB, 920x1138px
>>1873415
Great film and this is a history board so of course you're going to have people tearing it to shreds.

However, while the specifics are obviously fictional it does contain some accurate memes that can help plebs conceptualize ancient Rome. For example Richard Harris' portrayal of Marcus Aurelius does convey a stylized #VirtuousEmperor that the actual Marcus Aurelius is a good example of. Likewise Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus is an excellent #CruelTyrant much like the actual Commodus as well.

The film also does a good job giving a sense of scale to the Roman empire beginning with the opening scene where the #Legions square off against the #Barbarians in Gaul. From there we travel to North Africa where Maximus must prove himself in the #Arena to entertain #Plebs. After these excursions to the empire's extremities we finally arrive at #Rome itself whose magnificence stands in stark contrast to the hinterlands.

There's also the whole #Incest and #ChildMurder subplot between Commodus and his sister (the "busy little bees" monologue is superb btw) as well a reference to #Carthage and the finale involving the #PraetorianGuard. So suffice it to say, that yes the movie is horrible on specifics but does a good job of creating an impression of an era and which inevitably requires some oversimplification.
>>
All the prayers he says are basically Christian, it's weird.
>>
>>1873436
My history teacher.
>>
Apart from Russell Crowe not really existing, what part of it is unreal?
>>
>>1873593
A lot of the liturgy and ritual of Christianity -- particularly Catholicism -- is inherited from the Romans. Who were, yes, pagans. But humanity seldom works in clean breaks. You play the hand you're dealt.

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/halo.htm
>>
It's not historically accurate but it doesn't need to be. Same deal with Braveheart. The only people who think these movies are bad because they're historically inaccurate are autismoids of the highest degree.
>>
File: leonidas 300.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
leonidas 300.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1873736
/fidgets

There's a difference between 'highly stylized' and 'total bullshit.' 300 was the first. It was a CGI-enhanced Greek heroic nude passion play, but it told a genuine story. It relayed a historical event dressed up in sepia-toned uber-heroic comic book clothing.

Gladiator was made up out of whole fucking cloth. Any resemblance to the historical record is purely accidental. I'm not saying it's not a good swords and sandals movie -- it is. But.... it's still horseshit. Historically. And people can see it and enjoy it and still say so.
>>
Commodus wasnt crazy enough.
>>
File: col.jpg (73KB, 557x418px) Image search: [Google]
col.jpg
73KB, 557x418px
>>1873415
rel talk: that movie isn't historically accurate at all in most parts
still its a damn good movie though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0g06GWs8D8
>tfw no sea battle scene
>>
>>1873762
>it told a genuine story
this is what the greeks believe, kek
300 was full fantasy. the only historical part of that movie is that "persia attacked greece and was held by a small force for a few days" and "spartans were pretty brutal" everything else is fiction
>>
>>1873727
For one Commodus was a fucking madman,he wasn't just a vindictive petty little shit and his love for the games was fucking unreal, in his spare time he would dresss as hercules and claim he was a new hercules and all his statues looked like this
Also when he found out that his sister and a few senators were plotting to assassinate him he fucking killed her, so much for sisterly love
Also in the end Commodus was killed by a gladiator but not in the arena but while taking a bath
>>
>>1873990

That's all part of the context and all you need for the story to be 'based on' something, the rest can be safely left up to Herodotus tier aggrandization.

>>1873576

My issue with Gladiator is that there is hardly any gladiatorial action in it, the arena action lacks the complex rules, classes, structure and gameplay that made them a bizarre bloodsport event instead of a glorified execution method. Russel Crowe never actually fights on equal terms until the end, he just turns into a small rebel leader ala Spartacus the second he talks to the others who are all confused nobodies waiting to get fed into a slaughter instead of trained performers.

I understand the context of games turning far more violent and chaotic thanks to Commodus but they lack the identity that defined them, the sport aspect.

The biblical "The Robe" had a more exciting fight vs tigers at it.
>>
File: caracalla[1].jpg (84KB, 500x751px) Image search: [Google]
caracalla[1].jpg
84KB, 500x751px
>tfw we'll never get a Gladiator II following Lucius Verus and this fucking badass (basically Commodus 2.0 but not a fucking pussy)
>>
>>1873415
I can accept that movies sometimes need to sacrifice accuracy for entertainment so it's no big deal.
>>
>>1873415
>We will never see the proposed sequel

Why even live?

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/01/29/the-unbelievably-insane-gladiator-sequel-that-almost-was
>>
>>1873727
The giving back the power to the Senate, Marcus Aurelius being murdered, Commodus dying in the arena, Rome being an austere white marble city, the entire way the battle in the beginning was fought.
>>
>>1875430
that's fucking insane, I love it
No Hollywood executive would have the balls to do something so fucking out there
>>
>>1875430
>That ending

FUND IT
>>
>>1873762
>it told a genuine story
>greece was invaded by orcs and a 7ft tall faggot
>>
>>1873431

No, it literally establishes the date and marks him as Marcus Aurelius' son.
It's that Commodus.
>>
>>1873415
it never claimed to be accurate... still one of the best action movies of all time desu
>>
>>1873432
I don't disagree, but I feel there should be an obligation to warn the audience, just like there's the "any similarities to real persons and fact is purely coincidential".
Something like a fullscreen, brightly flashing
THIS MOVIE IS NOT MEANT TO BE HISTORICALLY ACCURATE IN ANY WAY
IT ONLY TAKES INSPIRATION FROM HISTORY TO CREATE A STORY WORTH WATCHING
before the movie start.
>>
>>1875761

That would break immersion. Nobody cares about your delciate sensibilities, autist.
>>
>>1875798
No it wouldn't. The kind of people who watch shit like Gladiator just want to be told an exciting story, they don't give a shit if it's not actually history.
>>
>>1875430
That actually sounds fucking amazing.
Like, holy fuck.
>>
File: Tomasso3122010T134549[1].jpg (68KB, 1075x1520px) Image search: [Google]
Tomasso3122010T134549[1].jpg
68KB, 1075x1520px
>>1875823
>>1875637
>>1875476
although it sucks that they completely skip over fucking Caracalla, we'll never have a good movie representation of that complete madman
>>
>>1876208
>Take care of your family
>Murdered his brother in a peace talk
>Pay the military
>Gave them unsustainable bonuses
>And disdain all other men
>boy did he take that to heart

Excellent advice, Severus.
>>
File: 1476950911172.png (384KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
1476950911172.png
384KB, 526x526px
>>1875430

>...and when he rises, he's wearing chain mail and a white uniform emblazoned with a giant red cross. Suddenly, we're in the Middle East, and Maximus is leading an army of Crusaders against an army of Muslims.
>>
>>1873736

The trouble is, given the movies popularity and an opening that says this is all true and anyone who says differently is one of the bad guys, the average person now thinks that Braveheart is exactly what the life of William Wallace was like.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.