[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't you save her?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: tamaroa-ts600[1].jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
tamaroa-ts600[1].jpg
54KB, 600x400px
>A ship that towed warships to safety during World War II and battled 40-foot waves to help rescue seven people in what was portrayed in the book and film "The Perfect Storm" is poised to be sunk off the New Jersey and Delaware coasts. Officials told The Record newspaper the 205-foot Coast Guard vessel Tamaroa will help grow a reef near Cape May Point by drawing large game fish and boosting recreational fishing.

>The sinking is planned around Oct. 30, the 25th anniversary of the storm in which the Tamaroa helped rescue the crew of a sailboat and a downed Air National Guard helicopter in waters off Massachusetts. Long before its role in "The Perfect Storm," the Tamaroa was known as the USS Zuni, which was first deployed by the Navy in World War II. Following the war, the Zuni was transferred to the Coast Guard and renamed the Tamaroa. The vessel spent nearly five decades rescuing ships in distress, intercepting smugglers at sea and enforcing fishery laws.

>Efforts to convert the ship into a museum and memorial ended in 2012 after its hull was found to be leaking. To those who oppose the sinking of the ship for sentimental reasons, Harry Jaeger, co-founder of Zuni/Tamaroa Maritime Foundation, said you can put on your scuba gear and it'll be right there.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/10/24/ship-that-helped-saved-7-the-perfect-storm-be-sunk.html
>>
I oppose this for no other reason than the fact that shipwrecks trigger the fuck out of me.

Anything mechanical underwater, really, but especially big ships and jet planes.

Am I autistic?
>>
>>1873300
Her hull was worn out, anon. She has the history, but sometimes that just isn't enough if she's on her last legs.
>>
File: IMG_9555.jpg (145KB, 1100x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9555.jpg
145KB, 1100x722px
>>1873300
At least it'll still exist. Pic related was my first unit, it went to the breakers yard in 2012
>>
>>1873300
Wow it's a ship that saved some people big whoop
>>
>>1873367
most certainly
>>
soooo amerifats decommission ships by simply sinking them? they don't take them to a ship graveyard and break them apart?

something doesn't seem right simply sinking a ship when you're done with it. am I wrong?
>>
Ships arent people.
>>
>>1874078
Depends on the ship. Something in service since WW2?
Literally what could it have that would be worth rescuing after ~60 years of service and being technologically outclassed for 50 of those years?
>>
>>1874090
I don't know isn't x many tons of steel sellable as scrap at the very minimum? Isn't sinking an entire ship like horrible for the environment?
>>
File: HMS_Belfast_with_rainbow.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
HMS_Belfast_with_rainbow.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>tfw we didn't put a ship museum in every major city and donate ships to Canada Australia and New Zealand so that they could do the same
>tfw we scrapped all but a light cruiser
Don't even want to live
>>
>>1874096
No, it's actually good if you sink it property and drain all the toxic fluids before scuttling it. It's also good for tourism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_ships_for_wreck_diving_sites
>>
>>1874096
>steel that's been structurally weakened to the point where it's no longer considered seaworthy
Yeah no, not even as scrap
>environment
Uh, it's about as bad as turning on a larger boat. (Which we have plenty of)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.