[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of converting to orthodoxy, it actually speaks to me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (100KB, 628x910px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 628x910px
Thinking of converting to orthodoxy, it actually speaks to me on a spiritual level. What do you think /his/? Is it just a meme, or should I actually try it out?
>>
fine if you are greek or slav, orthodox are national churches
>>
File: 1477363121801.jpg (117KB, 771x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477363121801.jpg
117KB, 771x1000px
>>1872911
Grow up you man-child.
>>
>>1872925
Faith should be a matter of truth first and foremost.

And yes, choosing your church is beyond the level of simply what aesthetic you prefer and where in the world you are from.
>>
>>1872911
It is what christianity is supposed to be.
>>
>>1872948
edgy
>>1872911
I would give it a shot if I were you. What type are you thinking? The Greek churches are beautiful and they genuinely want to help you.
>>
>>1872911
>What do you think /his/?

What do you think anon?
>>
>>1872911
Orthodoxy is the ugliest religion in the world. Catholicism all the way, but fuck the Pope. Orthodoxy reminds me of death and misery.
>>
I know it's nice to get feedback but you should find out for yourself because others people's opinions are not your reality.
>>
>>1872911
I was also recently searching for the branch of Christianity that seemed best for me. I really looked into Orthodox, but as an American I couldn't really get past how they're all "X Orthodox." Like Greek, Russian, etc. And then the vast majority of the congregation would also be that ethnicity. It makes assimilation verrry difficult if you're not Greek of Russian or whatever. For me, being part of a church that I could get behind also meant being an actual part of the congregation. It's hard to go it alone.
>>
>Ooga booga great man in the sky help little man! Little man talk to him in his mind!
>>
File: Theophany.jpg (128KB, 633x902px) Image search: [Google]
Theophany.jpg
128KB, 633x902px
>>1872925

This isn't true. Preventing people from joining the Church is a heresy.

Most Orthodox churches in America use English. You'll only run into foreign language stuff if you're in a city with a very large immigrant population. Just check their website or call the Church if you're concerned.

You'll be welcomed into the Church OP. The first time I visited my Church I was invited to have dinner with them after Vespers.

I think you should try it out.

I recommend the book "The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware. It's an overview of Orthodox theology that's very enjoyable. He also has a popular book on the Church itself "The Orthodox Church", but I haven't read it.
>>
File: Constantine Hypostasis.jpg (99KB, 1534x364px) Image search: [Google]
Constantine Hypostasis.jpg
99KB, 1534x364px
>>1872948

Don't forget part 2
>>
>>1873010
Antiochian Churches have a ton of converts, even 70% of their clergy in the U.S. are converts. Consider them.
>>
>>1873028
I always thought Constantine got more shit than s/he deserved until I saw this.
>>
File: 4chan.png (4MB, 5096x4256px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
4MB, 5096x4256px
>>1872911
>Thinking of converting to orthodoxy, it actually speaks to me on a spiritual level. What do you think /his/?

Tell us how you came to Orthodoxy? Does your story seem like any of those in pic related?

Have you considered that Orthodoxy might appeal to you because you arent familiar with its history and practice?
>>
>>1873145

Not the same trip code.

See

>>1873071
>>
Converting is always a complicated question.
As an example, for me, I think the Christadelphians beliefs make the most sense. I was already thinking like that over the Christian religion (Ex: the idea of Satan as someone out there to corrupt and kill sounds ridiculous. I'd believe much more than Satan is a name for Man's inner sins) and seeing that people share those points of view resonated with me.

But it's useless to convert if you don't have a community to share with. Hell, it's useless to convert before you met that community, discuss with them and see if you are in tune with them. And the Christadelphians are rare and sparse, especially in Asia where I reside at the moment.

Converting is a meme unless you prepare yourself for every step and have people to support you in that choice.
>>
>>1873579
Cringe: The Print Screen.
>>
>>1873028
Constantine still denies this was him/her
>>
Stop bumping this thread or you're gonna attract that transvestite Russian agent.
>>
>>1873732
Oh lol my bad.
>>
File: 1477129636685.jpg (25KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
1477129636685.jpg
25KB, 480x712px
>>1872996
>Catholicism all the way
>Fuck the pope
>>
File: 1462371850230s.jpg (7KB, 181x250px) Image search: [Google]
1462371850230s.jpg
7KB, 181x250px
>>1874999
We do not need to like the Pope you know. Just google it or whatever.
>>
>>1872911
Constantine, baby, is that you? I performed a song for you. Please listen. Please

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CEtCbr2aVC
>>
The other day I was at the pool, and I saw this amazingly, AMAZINGLY beautiful little blonde girl. She had soft bangs, long dirty blonde hair, she was wearing a romper with a blue bikini bathing suit under it. She was lovely, but what really stood out was her face. It was soul-achingly beautiful. Childlike, always smiling, angelic, with a touch of the woman she would soon grow to be. Her mere presence was captivating. The reason I brought this up, is there a religion based around worshiping a young girl? I was thinking that the Zoey aeon in Gnosticism or some kind of Hindu goddess incarnation might fit the bill. Asking for a friend, btw
>>
>>1872911
No become a Christian
>>
Join a Protestant church instea.d We're the true faith.
>>
>>1875283
I'm sure you'll become acquainted with God in prison, anon.
>>
>>1875442
Show me sola fide in the early church fathers

I am waiting
>>
>>1875463
Ephesians 2:8-9
>"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast."
>>
>>1875475
For it is by poop you are saved. Smeared on your face and into your mouth. It is by poop you are smeared, so that no man named Constantine may boast about his poast.
>>
>>1872911
Why would you need to join a church anyway? Can't you be religious and have faith without officially becoming a part of it?

Also it just seems like something contrarian a Western edgy kid would do. Still better than chopping off your foreskin and becoming a Jew or a Muslim, but come on.

t. an """"""""""Orthodox""""""""""""
>>
>>1875475
That is not sola fide. Sola fide teaches that God mind controls you. So you can't even have "faith" unless God alters your mental state.

The statement of Ephesians entails God giving you Grace and you having to respond to it by faith. That is hardly sola fide
>>
>>1875475
It's talking about works of Mosaic Law, like circumcision. Very different from the works James talks about.

>>1875494
Notice that the Our Father uses "our" and "us" and "we."
>>
>>1875515
>Faith is seen as passive, merely receiving Christ and all his benefits, among which benefits are the active and passive righteousness of Jesus Christ.
>>
>>1875524
Faith is hardly passive.
>>
>>1875523
hi bb
>>1875263
>>
>>1875534
That is basically faith according to sola fide
>>
You kno, I wonder if Constantine and that guy who calls me Jew have conspired to not reply to me anymore. But that only encourages me, because it means u r talking about me and that my posts are getting to you. If you didn't care about me or my poasts u'd just reply as normal. A "plan" seems to mean that I am getting 2 u. I will continue.
>>
>>
I met a Mexican dude when he outbid me on some painting equipment at an Estate Sale. I later paid him to paint part of my house, he paid me to run some wires in his house and setup some IT shit, mainly because his daughter wanted "wifi". I later went to her Quinceañera and had an amazing time.

He's now my friend, hell, even more than that Constantine. He's like a brother. He told me some good shit about the Catholics, some personal shit he's learned because he's been a lifelong member. I don't believe, but he does. He's smart, works hard every single day, learns new things, and is a good friend you can rely on. I value his friendship very much. If it came down to him or me, I would give my life to preserve him, not only for him but for his family's sake.

Does that mean that Catholicism is valid? That this guy with no formal training has been so amazing, so valid, to me as an atheist? Would an Orthodox tell me this guy I met, totally random at an Estate Sale, who has despite all that proven himself in my eyes, is going to hell?
>>
Do you know what the Dragon has shown me, about what he saw before the world was made? A park, maybe, a graveyard. Newly planted trees with stakes, to make the tree grow straight. Grass, slowly growing like in the fall, almost spent. Grey skies, overcast, like it could rain any moment. A sense of forlorn loss in the air. Like a funeral had just taken place. A half-built stone wall surrounding us. The feeling like if I kept walking, the grey would last forever and forever. This is what the Dragon has shown me.
>>
File: 1476363799577.jpg (162KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1476363799577.jpg
162KB, 1462x1462px
>>1875263
Wait so this creepy-ass guy is stalking Constantine online now? I'm totally okay with this!

Welcome my friend! Make yourself at home! Can I get you something to make your stay more confortable? Do you plan on going after Constantine irl too? I hear "she" is quite a qt, and not a tranny at all! I think you should go for it!
>>
>>1875980
Obviously she is a real female, all the tranny shit is wrong. She is a female.
>>
>>1876002
>Obviously she is a real female
Uh, I have news for you. "She" has been found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmFO-wXTQc
>>
>>1876164
I don't believe it.
>>
>>1876168
Your orthofu has a dick, deal with it. Why do you think she is so obsessed with anal sex, and the possibility of getting pregnant and giving birth through the anus?
>>
>>1876198
The trips don't match.
>>
>>1873028
Disgusting. Even the Jews don't blaspheme Jesus that bad.
>>
>>1875463

The early church fathers are in the bible.

Read the bible.

Acts 8
“He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
In His humiliation His justice was taken away,
And who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth.”
So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?”

Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.
>>
>>1875494

It's always been about a man reconciling with his creator.

A church is a collection of such people who enjoy fellowshipping together, and worshiping God together. In small groups.
>>
>>1876210
What are you talking about? This is pretty standard orthodox doctrine. Mary gave birth to Jesus like a chicken lays an egg.
>>
>>1875824
Catholics know a lot about the catholic church.

They know very little to nothing about salvation and the Kingdom of God. Same with Orthodox. Their faith is in their church.
>>
>>1876243
You're mistaken.
>>
>>1876252
No I'm not.
>>
>>1876264
They express the state of her virginity with the verse Ezekiel 44:2, so you clearly are mistaken.
>>
>>1876233
The magic water
>>
>>1876245
So if I die, and this guy gets sent to hell because of some technicality bullshit, despite being faithful to Christ, honest and giving to unbelievers, and a good dad, you're going to say it's right, correnct and kind? Your god is a bitch, then.
>>
>long haired priests
>long robes
>no benches
>saints worship
>icons worship
>Mary worship
>Holy Spirit does not proceeds from the Son
>salvation by works
>>
>>1876245
Thanks 4 answering me Consty btw... poopoo...
>>
>>1876284
Priests don't have long hair unless they're monastic.
>>
>>1876268
You don't get it. Her hymen was intact. The orthodox doctrine doesn't say otherwise. They maintain that Joseph's semen entered via the anus and the baby came out through the same anus, like a bird's cloaca. This was the "miracle", according to the orthodox church, that is.
>>
>>1876290
Will u keep long hair when you are rejected?
>>
>>1876295
Hi Constantine
>>
>>1876301
Hi handsome
>>
>>1875494
You can't take part in the sacraments/mysteries if you aren't part of a church.
>>
>>1876300
Friendly reminder that Jesus wasn't a Protestant
>>
>>1876308
u r not her, The Dragon has told me
>>
>>1876319
No baby. It's me, I swear.

I love it when you harass me, specially when I have my trip code on, which I don't have now because I'm on my phone. But be warned, I play hard to get ;^)
>>
>>1876328
Lying is one of the ten commandments
>>
>>1876352
Yes, and I try to follow this commandment with every post that I make. They get so mad :3

t. Constie
>>
>>1876372
>t. Constie
T_T
>>
Jesus never existed
>>
File: laughing-jesus.jpg (31KB, 429x547px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-jesus.jpg
31KB, 429x547px
>>1878178
>>
>>1878178
euphoric
>>
>>1875079
>>1872996
why don't you just become Anglican then? it's just Catholicism but without the Pope
>>
>>1878263
Kill yourself
>>
>>1878287
or high church Lutheran
>>
>>1872911
Every religion is a meme.
>>
>>1878303
But is every Meme a religion?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.