[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American president thread. This president regarded himself as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16

File: Trumans strength unfolded.jpg (94KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Trumans strength unfolded.jpg
94KB, 600x400px
American president thread.

This president regarded himself as a bit of a sissy yet lead the 35th battalion in WW1 with none of his men dying and later authorized the dropping of the most powerful weapon one earth against japan.

What presidents do you find interesting?
>>
File: roosevelt.jpg (29KB, 374x250px) Image search: [Google]
roosevelt.jpg
29KB, 374x250px
>>1868299
This was our best.
>>
File: Teddy.jpg (8KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
Teddy.jpg
8KB, 215x300px
Will we ever again have a president as based as Teddy?
>>
>>1868303
Looks like I got beat to it.
>>
>>1868308
Unfortunately, probably not. He's too pre-postmodern.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
>>
File: Saigon-hubert-van-es.jpg (226KB, 825x541px) Image search: [Google]
Saigon-hubert-van-es.jpg
226KB, 825x541px
>>1868299
I personally find Nixon to be the most interesting president by far.
>terminated US involvement in Vietnam
>via fucking leveling Hanoi
>opens relations with China
>splits the Communist bloc in half
Both impressive achievements, but with such tragic consequences.
>>
>>1868308
>loved guns
>loved nature
>busted up corporate monopolies
>bitchin aesthetics
what a lad
the 60's really fucked our shit up when it came to presidents, its never been the same since.
>>
>>1868325
More like the 1930s and the implementation of social welfare programs. People voting themselves money really fucked things sideways.
>>
>>1868337
yeah, but I'm sure FDR and Truman and Eisenhower actually still gave half a shit about America.
If I'm really stretching shit, myabe Carter, even though he was a bit of a goof.
Reagan plus though, wew.
>>
>>1868337
De Toqueville was right.

We're on the downward slide now.
>>
>>1868299
well maybe the reason none of his men died was because he was a sissy and avoided danger
>>
>>1868349
>avoided danger
>in a WW1 combat posting
I don't have enough wew for you lad.
>>
>>1868352
maybe he and his men just stayed in their trench with their gas masks on 24/7
>>
>>1868352
To be fair, the primary job of the officer is to keep his men alive.
>>
>>1868355
>with their gas masks on 24/7
Gas masks are not renowned for their comfort.
Also:
>what is artillery
>what are enemy attacks
>>
>>1868359
He did a damn good job then. A shame the same can't be said about Korea.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 194x259px
>>1868299
1994 was more than 20 years ago so it counts.

First black president, and best one (desu Obama hasn't been black since 2012)
>>
>>1868362
That's on MacArthur not taking the Chinese threat seriously. We was still thinking in WWII mode.
>>
>>1868364
>Black Hawk Down
>Rwanda
>failing to take out bin Laden
>nearly getting us into a war over Taiwan
At least he could play the saxophone.
>>
>>1868364
>le ebin saxman
literally only known for being hillary's wife and fugging monica.
also I'm like 99.9 percent sure he's got connections to chinese state corporations somewhere
>>
>>1868368
Don't forget
>1994 AWB
>>
>>1868368
>I don't like what he did in Somalia, it was too bloody
>Why didn't he get all bloody in Rwanda?????

Lmao, he's perfection itself

>>1868371
Best economy until __Bush ruined it by his dumbass libertarianism neocons.
>>
File: FederalDeficit(1).jpg (23KB, 483x315px) Image search: [Google]
FederalDeficit(1).jpg
23KB, 483x315px
>>1868368
>>1868371
At least he knew how to balance the books.
>>
>>1868381
>puss out in Somalia despite something like a 500 to 1 kill ratio
>puss out in Rwanda because of above
>>1868380
Less guns=less funs
>>1868382
Helped by a massive economic boom, but fair point.
>>
>>1868380
>hey guys,let's have some common sense gun control, after all that gun rampaging domestic terrorists......

REEE SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!

NO STEP ON SNEK!!!

>>1868386
>500-1

Aideed Paramilitary was one to one of you include causalities, stacking the book with civilians doesn't count.
>>
File: (you).png (178KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
178KB, 1190x906px
>>1868391
>civilians
>>>>>>>>>civilians
>>
>>1868391
yes, no step on snek.
you're getting it, good.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 598x398px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 598x398px
>>1868393
Yes civilians you retard. The goal was his paramilitary, not some sabs no one cares about.
>>1868394
Why not?
>>
>>1868428
t. Somali
>>
>>1868321
How did he split the communist bloc in half?
>>
>>1868434
>befriend China
>convince them to help stop Soviet influence
>Maoists attempt to compete with Marxist-Leninists all over the planet
He was playing 4-D chess.
>>
>>1868321
The worst thing about Linebacker II is that it's what JCOS wanted to do in the first place. They laid out a 94 target plan built around how the Air Force and Navy were structured with an 11-week timetable that could be moved up to 28 days depending on how Johnson wanted to swing it. Instead, we got fucking Rolling Thunder which was built entirely by the fucking State Department and Johnson.

>>1868434
He finalized the Sino-Soviet split.
>>
>>1868442
>Instead, we got fucking Rolling Thunder which was built entirely by the fucking State Department and Johnson.
We should have learned that politicians cannot run wars. Instead we got Iraq.
>>
>>1868447
>tfw OPBF are being soiled because war is too important to be left to the politicians
>tfw Kubrick was ultimately right while trying to portray it as wrong
>>
>>1868461
>OPBF
?
>>
>>1868470
You need to up your classic film game, friendo.
>>
>>1868472
...Kubrick
Our precious bodily fluids?
>>
File: 86516584684654.jpg (16KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
86516584684654.jpg
16KB, 800x529px
>>1868476
>>
>>1868479
>tfw my Kubrick game off point
Time to rewatch Fullmetal Jacket. And probably Apocalypse Now because that shit is iconic.
>>
>>1868484
When you rewatch Apocalypse now, when you get the arclight scene, just before they meet up with 1st Cav, just remember how fucking stupid it is to have fucking B-52's flying fucking ground support sorties and how fucking stupid LBJ was to do it in the first place.
>>
File: 1a1.jpg (42KB, 720x726px) Image search: [Google]
1a1.jpg
42KB, 720x726px
>>1868484
>Fullmetal Jacket
triggered.
>>
>>1868490
>let's have these B-52s based hours away in fucking Guam come in on scheduled close air support sorties guys
>hey Lyndon the VC won't stay still for six hours for us
>so let's bomb other places and hope that we get them there haha
LBJ and McNamara went full retard.
>>
>>1868440
but the Chinese and Soviet blocs had been separate for that entire decade.

Ever since destalinization the split became obvious.
>>
File: 1456015223020.jpg (104KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1456015223020.jpg
104KB, 960x960px
>>1868308
Yes.
>>
>>1868508
He brought the PRC around fully against the USSR. Before that it was merely a split.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 500x600px
>>1868513
I just took my dead grandmother out of her graves to the polls and voted for her twice in HRC's name.
>>
>>1868513
>comparing some sleazebag demagogue to motherfucking theodore "roughrider" roosevelt
get the fuck out
>>1868428
you too, you unamerican commie piece of shit
>>1868519
you thrice, fucking blue democrat shitter
>>
>>1868542
this
>>
>>1868542
The Republicans need to die for awhile, the same way the Democrats died until Clinton.

Trump is the Republican Mondale.
>>
>>1868559
Fair enough. Hopefully the Republicans can learn from this, get their shit together, and start getting some bipartisan action going. Same with the Dems.
>>
>>1868320
I agree with this but I also like tacos and irish pubs. What do
>>
>>1868514
Could be argued that he strengthened ties with the U.S.S.R though.
>>
>>1868608
>tfw you will never be secret bros with Brezhnev
>tfw you will never gift him a Lincoln Continental
>tfw you will never go for a joyride with Brezhnev in Camp David while leaving the Secret Service standing horrified
Why even live
>>
>>1868364
He was benefitted by the tech bubble propping up the economy.
>>
>>1868368
The illegal NATO bombings in 1999 which were predicated on "HE'S KILLIN' ALL THE ALBANIANS" even though the international courts were never able to find evidence to charge Milosevic with either genocide or even war crimes. Of course, the entire thing was an excuse because he wasn't subsuming his economy to neoliberalism fast enough.
>>
>>1868364
I like that he actually reached across the isle.
>>
File: IMG_1755.jpg (136KB, 800x1212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1755.jpg
136KB, 800x1212px
>>1868299
Wilson is the best
>inb4 income tax butthurt/blacks mad that he fired them from the White House staff
>>
Tell my about this man americans of /his/.
How did such a nice person become a US president?
>>
>>1868299
Washington.

Talk about men of the hour:
>rich land owner but child of the enlightenment moreso
>accidentally helps start the French and Indian War, the aftermath of which ratchets up Brit-Colonist tensions and sets the stage for the Revolution
>is a meh general but manages to keep the continental army together somehow
>presides over the creation of America's most important document bar none
>does a baller job of establishing the presidential office
>recognized how bullshit political parties are but respected freedom and the limits of his office enough not to interfere with that
>>
>>1868598
Keeping your ethnic culture while assimilating is as old as the hills.

>>1870787
He appealed to our better instincts while we were staggering around after Vietnam, Watergate, and the national hangover of the 60's. He was also an utter disaster.
>>
Maybe didn't do a stellar job as President, though anything would be a letdown after GW, but Adams is my favorite founding father. A man who believed in truth, justice, and the American way.

Plus the HBO miniseries was pretty cool.
>>
>>1868299
All of them are interesting in their own ways. Even if you disagree with their politics they brought their own stories and ideas to the white house.

>>1868513
>Draft dodging, circus clown is comparable to Teddy

Trump couldn't walk quietly if his fucking depended on it and would sell his stick for a quick buck.
>>
>>1870824
I honestly wonder what a King Washington would've looked like and how the United States would have formed with a constitutional monarchy.
>>
>>1870774
Vetoing the vote on the Racial Equality Clause to try to appease Southerners so Congress would vote for US membership into the League of Nations is fucking stupid. All it did was piss Japan off and turn them against the United States but he didn't even get the result he wanted out of it which, of course, made the League a useless joke right from the outset. A wasted gesture that did nothing but harm overall. That's not to mention that his getting the US into a war that a large amount of citizens didn't want meant he had to push through laws to curb antiwar sentiment under the guise of "sedition" and introduce fucking selective service. Likewise, most of the people pushing for war were the business class and other elites.

The income tax is lame and sure he hated the blacks but his lunatic moralist globalism is what should place him low on any list of presidents. In that respect, he really paved the way for Presidents like Obama and Bill Clinton (and possibly Hillary Clinton) who felt that, as the moral arbiter of all that is right in the world, America has a duty to stick itself into every conflict around the globe. Fuck Wilson.
>>
>>1870831
>All of them are interesting in their own ways.
I don't know, tell me the interesting facts about Zachary Taylor (beyond "served in the Mexican-American War") or Millard Fillmore? Hayes wasn't a particularly interesting guy either.
>>
>>1870824
Adams was pretty based. His falling out with Hamilton is really tragic, but I think he handled the XYZ Affair the right way.

For me, best President is LBJ. He's the perfect example of how shitty people can do really great things. Also, he was probably the most masculine President yet.
>>
>>1871383
I'd like to hear what you think he accomplished that was so wonderful.
>>
>>1871295
There was literally nothing wrong with what he did in any of those situations. Fuck Japan, fuck the Republican congress, fuck intervention apologists, fuck isolationism, the sedition shit wasn't really him it was congress and the Supreme Court, and fuck you.
>>
>>1871405
Woodrow Wilson was a far better political intellectual than he was a President.
>>
>>1871400
I recommend skipping the article, but you can read it if you want. Otherwise, it's an impressive list at the end.

http://www.lbjlibrary.org/lyndon-baines-johnson/perspectives-and-essays/seeing-is-believing-the-enduring-legacy-of-lyndon-johnson

I especially like the National Endowment for the Humanities, as well as Johnson's role in ending the Vietnam War after his presidency.
>>
>>1871400
>the man who signed the Civil Rights Act and pushed through more civil rights legislation than any other president was secretly a racist because MUH WELFARE QUEENS

Phil, you're better than this.

This is simply intellectual laziness.

If you disagree with someone, attack their policies.
>>
>>1868299
>lead the 35th battalion in WW1 with none of his men dying
nope
>>
>>1868299
Gerald Ford.
>Be the first president to get to office without being elected by the people
>Pardoned Nixon, knowing it would make him unpopular, to start healing from Watergate.
>His successor, Jimmy Carter, became his best friend and invited him for lunch every time he passed by DC.

A very respectable and underrated president IMO.
>>
>>1872851
I do not love the old bastard for the Great Society welfare state, nor for the way he micromanaged the military into the ground in Vietnam. I freely admit it.
>>
>>1873022
I'd have to blame Westmoreland for a lot of it.

That said, I don't think there was any realistic way to have half a million people in country fighting a peasant insurgency and have that end well.
>>
>>1870787
He fanned the flames of Neoliberalism and now is shocked to see how it's failed the country.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.