[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gladiatorial Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4205.jpg (58KB, 272x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4205.jpg
58KB, 272x426px
How could the Roman populous enjoy watching men kill eachother?
>>
People were just edgier back then.
>>
>>1866905
I'd watch it too if I didn't have movies, television, music, newspaper/literacy, etc. Romans were bored as shit
>>
Umm you know how much money I would pay to see gladiators kill eachother? A fuck ton
>>
>>1866905

Populace
>>
Gladiator mortality rates weren't necessarily that high. Why would you care about a fight if you don't care about the fighters, and how could you care about them if they have very short lifespans? Besides, it's cheaper to keep a slave fighter alive for a while than it is to keep buying and training new ones.

And why did Romans enjoy watching people fight? Well, why do people nowadays enjoy watching boxing and wrestling? For the same reason: it's exciting and entertaining.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 184x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 184x272px
>>1866905
*populace
>>
>>1866905
They didn't usually kill each other. It was literally ancient WWE.
>>
>>1866905
>How could the Roman populous enjoy watching men kill eachother?
Are for real? Are really THAT lacking in self-reflection?..

Think what were the last 3 movies you watched were about.
>>
>>1867625
This. But for the most part gladiators didn't fight other gladiators. They fought captured warriors and slaves from battles that were won.

If those warriors could prove themselves then they would become gladiators.

Gladiator vs Gladiator fights werent too common, especially fatal ones consider in the investment of time and money.
>>
>>1866905

most galdiators were volunteers

the vast majority of them didnt die in the arena, specifically in executions. those that did die did so in the heat of battle
>>
>it's a roman history is compressed to one decade thread

wowwwwww
>>
I agree. I watch people get blown the fuck out by rockets and artillery for free.

We live in a better times.
>>
File: 1459469666785.jpg (65KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1459469666785.jpg
65KB, 640x426px
>>1866905
Very easily.
>>
>>1867773
>most galdiators were volunteers
>>
>>1867813
I've seen this image twice today

can't get over how much it reminds me of a gimp mask
>>
>>1866905
the same reason Syrian war videos have millions of views on liveleak

nothing has really changed
>>
It was a better time.
>>
>>1867004
Although some gladiators were slaves, the vast majority of them were volunteers. They all wanted the glory and fame of being a gladiator. It was the quickest (arguably the easiest) way to become wealthy and famous. It was a sport, just like any of today's sport. It was also a way for peasants and lower class people to rise up.
>>
>>1866905
people were dying all the time all over the place back then. and gladiators had a fairly low mortality rate compared to for example other slaves. most fights weren't until death anyways, they almost always stopped after a minor injury.

also, many of them were volunteers. others were defeated enemies of Rome who were forced to fight each other - no one is disturbed by seeing filthy barbarians blood being shed.
>>
>>1866905
we do that too by watching movies and playing video games
>>
>>1866905

i'd watch a gladiator fight

no bitch armor or blunt weapons like in Battle of the Nations, no pajamas and car antennas like olympic fencing, sharp swords, naked chests, bare feet fights in the sands until first blood is drawn
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.