[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtual reality for prison inmates.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1475987556120.jpg (1MB, 3207x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1475987556120.jpg
1MB, 3207x2200px
Feel free to discuss this from a philosophical standpoint.

A rehabilitation virtual reality community for long sentence prisoners.

Every cell has a computer and oculus rift hardware.

The inmates have an anonymous avatar through which they interact with the world.

they can have any furniture, cell phone, car and clothing they want. they can interact with whoever they want.

For communication they speak and a siri like voice is what comes out on the other end.

The goal is to give architects freedom to create and express themselves. An architect or a group of architects create living spaces for each prison as part of their education. Could be assignments or whatever.

Then the prisoners create communities of their own.

The goal is to make prison inmates treat eachother better, since they wouldnt be able to differentiate between their gangs and who they interacted with in the VR.

Having a hangout buddy in the VR would be two strangers sitting down, talking or doing stuff they both find interesting.

Hurting another inmate in the prison, would potentially be hurting your buddy.

Since this is on the philosophical site of 4chan, I posted it here.
>>
You can't rehabilitate 80 IQ sociopaths who only knew violence their whole lives and would sell their mother into prostitution if the price was right.
>>
>>1864630
So you be sayan' that we should create Virtual world for the prisoners, where they could practice social behaviour in controlled enviromnent, when they can not do physical harm one to another?

Not a bad idea, but I think it would be a waste of resources compared to normal group therapy.
>>
>>1864639
But you give them that which they've never had.
Economical freedom in a virtual world.

With quantum computers, you could create worlds as realistic as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTb7k9pCQTo

The potential would be that they grow content and satisfaction with having luxury in their virtual world
>>
>>1864663
They could even meet in the vr, to discuss the circumstances in the prisons, enabling them to potentially have their own mini democracy

I know this could be a longshot for prisons in the us, but for europe it would be viable
>>
The point of prison is to punish responsible persons so as to deter crime. Prison should be a place even the worst criminals would rather not end up in.

Your strange prison wouldn't serve that purpose, so I wouldn't be interested.
>>
>>1864684
not true for scandinavian prisons
>>
>>1864663
>Economical freedom

What do you mean? All prisoners in civilized nations are completely free to live their lives within the law. You seem to be building this idea on the premise that a) people aren't responsible for breaking the law and b) you can actually rehabilitate people.

The first is wrong, the second is dubious at best.
>>
So you're saying I can play a hyper realistic utopian MMO where all of my wildest luxurious dreams come true and all I have to do is kill someone and end up in prison?

Sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>1864694
Yes, and Sweden has a huge crime problem. As does the my own country, the UK, which also refuses to punish criminals.
>>
>>1864706
if it's available for the prison population, it's available for everyone who has a setup capable of running it.

My dream of a utopian future is small democratic or anarchistic virtual communities running as their own seperate instances, within which people could gather and discuss their lives in utopic settings, having virtual apartments which would give them peace.

Peoples living standards would be altered because of this solution

How awesome it would be, if the people there, moved their ideas from the vr and into the real world. Then there could be a change.

going off topic

When VR merge with Augmented reality
you could load constructs in a vr, which could help you code the Augmented reality.

For example, you make artificial hardware, which could be accessed through the augmented reality.
>>
>>1864701
give them whatever surroundings they want in order to fullfill them and from there reeducate them
>>
>>1864663
Congrats you just made criminals wanting to stay in their virtual Eden instead of coming back into the shitty real world.
>>
>>1864756
Or they would just want to obtain the hardware, to continue living plugged in

congratz, I just made every ex criminal stay indoors
>>
>>1864630
That's a very good idea. Rehabilitation is the goal of any well functioning justice system.
>>1864639
Move to Iran and kill yourself afterwards.
>>
>>1864781
>That's a very good idea. Rehabilitation is the goal of any well functioning justice system.

No, the goal is to deter crime by punishing responsible persons.

Just look at Britain for an example of how to destroy a ordered and peaceful society by going soft on criminals.
>>
>>1864810

Or look at Norway and Finland who are doing just fine with rehabilitation being the main focus.
>>
>>1864810
this isn't pol.
>>
>>1864820
There are so many factors that make such comparisons difficult. But both Norway and Finland are far more violent than Victorian England despite being far, far more wealthy.
>>
>>1864830
>wanting to deter crime is /pol/

At which university are you studying sociology?
>>
>>1864848
Hmm Finland had 1,4 victims of homicide to every 100.000 people as of 2014 and the rate has been going down since the 1990's. I hope you provide a measurement of Victorian english rates of homicides in return.
>>
>>1864862
there is no way to deter crime

only with absurd laws and punishments can you deter crime
>>
>>1864912
The murder rate in Victorian Britain was around 150 per year. The population was approximately 24 million. That gives us around 0.625 victims of homicide to every 100,000 people. And bear in mind this was a period of relative poverty and a booming population growth. But that's not all; Victorian medicine was obviously limited. A stabbing in 1875 was much more likely to kill you than it would be in Finland today. If the Finns of 2014 were limited to Victorian medicine, the homicide number would be hundreds, if not thousands higher per year.

Late Victorian society was one of the most peaceful and ordered places in the world despite widespread poverty. I argue that their harsh punishments for lawbreakers was a key factor. And it's telling that as Britain abolished the death penalty, breaking rocks and everything else about Victorian justice, the homicide rate is many, many times higher. And overall crime is in completely different worlds.

Ref.
Private Lives, Public Spirit: A Social History of Britain, 1870-1914.
>>
>>1864983
That is literally the whole reason we have laws and prisons.
>>
>>1865082
is it working
>>
>>1865247
It's barely tried. See >>1865051
for an example of an effective justice system.

See Britain 2016, for an example of an ineffective justice system.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.