[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ recommended reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: 1470770025745.jpg (68KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1470770025745.jpg
68KB, 640x640px
What's the best I can get on British and Irish history? Could be a general overview, could focus on a specific era/region/person/event, anything.
>>
>>1862658
Also, general recommended reading thread of course.
>>
I'm looking for books about the Olympics, especially Olympics and philosophy.

I have found pic related but I would like an opinion about it since I can't find a pirated version and it costs like 30$.
>>
File: napoleon_a_life.jpg (901KB, 1651x2560px) Image search: [Google]
napoleon_a_life.jpg
901KB, 1651x2560px
I'll never stop shilling this book in /hislit/ threads. Don't buy into the eternal Anglo's propaganda.
>>
>>1862679
>Don't buy into the eternal Anglo's propaganda.
tbqh I'm not going to take reading advice from /int/posters.
>>
>>1862679
Which one's better, Napoleon: A Life or Napoleon The Great? I hear they're different.

>don't buy into the eternal anglo's propaganda
im confused, isnt roberts an anglo? so why you shillin his book
>>
>>1862717
I only post on /his/ and /lit/, tbqhwyf.

I didn't mean the beady-eyed Anglo /pol/ meme, but the actual "Napoleon was a pure evil midget" Anglo propaganda.

>>1862737
It's the same book, as far as l know, just different publishers for the US and the UK. I have A Life.

Robert goes against the grain. The basis of his book are the thousands of letters from Napoleon and his contemporaries that surfaced in the early 2000s. He paints a more human picture of him, but also doesn't shy away from talkinf about his flaws and mistakes.
>>
Churchill's History of th English people's?
>>
>>1862667
It's on libgen.io, look harder next time.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 372x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 372x400px
is this good?
>>
>>1862658
Asking the same question for Turks.
>>
Any good Persian/Iranian literature?
>>
>you will never fuck a stacy
>>
Robert Tombs

The English and Their History

It's really good.
>>
File: 18669169[1].jpg (32KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
18669169[1].jpg
32KB, 310x475px
>>1863864
Obligatory Sleepwalkers mention. Fucking great book.

I also recently read and enjoyed Civilization by Niall Ferguson. It is obviously a broad work and phrasing features of western civilization as "Killer Apps" is a bizarre thing to do but it's still an interesting read.
>>
>>1864949
Didn't mean to reply to that post. I'm retarded.
>>
I want to read a good book about the Iranian revolution. Any recommendations?
>>
Any good Cold War books?
>>
>>1862658
A History of the English-speaking peoples by Winston Churchill.
>>
>>1866081
what makes his better than other peoples?
>>
>>1864055
Shahnameh??
That's more or less the recognized national epic.

If you want a general history of Iran, I can't help you there.
>>
>>1862758
>the actual "Napoleon was a pure evil midget" Anglo propaganda
Show me a serious academic work where this is the case and I won't tell you to take your memeshitting and fuck off to /int/.
>>
>>1866086
It's the right length and detail between overview and useless scholarship. Churchill was still trying to sell the books.
It's very good prose too. More so than most historians that fall for the method meme and forget that history is still, in the end, primarily a literary genre.
>>
File: Tokyo_Vice_book_cover.jpg (1MB, 1006x1589px) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo_Vice_book_cover.jpg
1MB, 1006x1589px
How is this book? Debating how accurate or truthful a book about a country's criminal underground by an outsider or foreigner can be but for a country with a reputation for whitewashing its history and hiding these things.
>>
>>1864949
If you have to read one and only one book about ww1 causes, this is the book you should be reading. Of course that would be stupid considering the unparalleled complexity of the period.
>>
>>1868163

Jake Adelstein is a hack and a liar. I truly regret buying this book to use as reliable source of non fiction.

The premise of this book is that it is a retelling of the ten years that he worked for the Yomiuri Shinbun as their first ever white reporter. Over this period he supposedly spends his nights drinking with his numerous yakuza sources, womanizing, and digging up dirt on crime as part of the police beat. Eventually, he dug up some info on a retired Yazuka boss named Tadamasa Goto and had to flee back to the US under direct threat of violence against him and his family from Goto and his croneys.

After retirement, Goto himself wrote a memoir and includes no mention of any of this. The only mention Goto ever makes of Jake is the following:

>"There's this guy who wrote an article in the Washington Post, claiming 'Goto is after me', and 'I close the storm shutters at night', and 'Rainy days are the most dangerous'. This isn't Golgo 13 or James Bond! Just because I'm retired now doesn't mean I have the free time to go after some American fiction writer."

Also, during the more than 10 years he was writing for that newspaper, he only ever published two articles that ever had anything to do with crime. If you look at the database of Yomiuri articles attributed to Jake, the majority of them are completely innocuous articles about things like summer travel tips or athletes foot.

On top of all of this, the actual retelling of the events he experienced while working as a reporter comes off as cheesy and self satisfying

>"As a martial artist, I generally suck. There were only three things I could do correctly, the short distance punch was one of them."
>"Without thinking, I turned and blocked the kick and punched him full in the chest knocking him on his back"

Give me a fucking break.

TLDR: This book is 90 percent fiction and the rest is just the author jerking himself off about how cool he thinks he is.
>>
>>1868313
Interesting. Do you know why Japan refuses to sell or publish it despite a Japanese translation existing?
>>
>>1865646
Any specific aspects? The Cold War is a really broad subject.
>>
>>1868413
Not the guy you responded to but if you have anything about spies or tense nuclear missile moments (Cuban missile crisis) I'd appreciate those
>>
>>1862658

> Kaczynski - Industrial Society and Its Future

> Rochefort et al - How To Bomb The US Government
>>
>>1868327

Not sure. The author's most recent claim for why publishers aren't biting is because it "Steps on too many toes" He stated this in his blog earlier this year.

I however think that is nonsense because his ground breaking story is old news now. Claiming that publishing a story that broke in 2010 is going to jeopardize the safety of those involved is giving his own work far too much credit.

Also, despite his claims around the time this book was published that the Goto's associates were directly threatening him and his family over the story, he publish his book, went on to appear on TV multiple times promoting his book and his story, and now regularly makes contributions to the Japan times and Vice news. That's quite the bad route to take if your life was actually riding on this story getting out there.

The cherry on top of this bullshit claim that the Yakuza is out to get him is this: After supposedly fleeing back to the USA out of fear for his own life, he has since moved back to japan and STILL LIVING THERE CURRENTLY

If the Yakuza gave half as much a shit about this clown as he claims they do, he would have been killed or driven back home by now.

If you want a good factual resource for basic information on organized crime in Japan, look up an article called Recent Trends in Organized Crime in Japan
>>
Any good books on the Colonial French Empire, and/or The Spanish Empire?
>>
The Making of the English Working Class by EP Thompson
>>
I recently read churchil hittler and the unnecesary war. Quite enjoyed it.
Any recs on books about Julius Caesar?
>>
Any good books on the Diadochi?
>>
File: Picture1.jpg (68KB, 604x452px) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.jpg
68KB, 604x452px
>>1868413
I'm pretty much interested in it all. But I would like to know more about McCarthyism, the murder of "Communists" in Asia, the Korean War, and Reagan.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.