[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Art, exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: CHANNEL IT.png (83KB, 1354x570px) Image search: [Google]
CHANNEL IT.png
83KB, 1354x570px
What is Art, exactly?
>>
>>1860666
What art community considers art. Well, that was simple.
>>
File: george the painter.jpg (140KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
george the painter.jpg
140KB, 1200x675px
A way to express your darkest feelings, friend.
>>
File: La rivolta, 1911.jpg (1MB, 1677x1075px) Image search: [Google]
La rivolta, 1911.jpg
1MB, 1677x1075px
Politics.
>>
>>1860666
Politics by other means
>>
>>1860666
>(uncountable) The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the senses and emotions, usually specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
Basically, doing some shit to create a feeling or emotion in another person. Per that definition, the only times when art is shit is when it doesn't affect you in anyway.
>>
>>1860666
Crafting matter into something that will assault a human through his senses and make him experience beauty
>>
>>1860666
Art expresses the artists feelings in a physical form.
Good art does the same but also illustrates a story or conveys a message to the viewers.
>>
It's like when you watch a movie adaptation of a book that you've read. The movie will often have some references, details and/or scenes that only people who've read the book will understand, it's like a nod to all the people who've read the book. Art is just like that. Works of art convey feels that people who have previous insight into those feels will recognise and this will gives them a feeling of satisfaction, it's like stumbling upon a well-crafted subtle meme that you can understand.

Of course, this is why shit people will appreciate works of art that are literally made of feces, while more noble spirits will look elsewhere.
>>
>>1861380
no this is literally everything that is bad in art
>>
>>1860666
Best definition I can come up with is thus:

>Any media which has been created with the intention that it will be (or is) viewed by others in a way which makes note of it as an aesthetic experience, be it good or bad, for any reason.
>>
The definition changes wildly over time
>>
>>1860666
Human self-expression in any form whatsoever.
>>
>>1860666
manmade beauty
>>
>>1860666
>that image

Why so butthurt OP?
>>
>>1862100
Pretty good.
>>
>>1862100
this sounds too inclusive to me, like saying everything that tries to appear female is female
>>
File: 1475941452059.jpg (32KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
1475941452059.jpg
32KB, 500x458px
>>1862277
>like saying everything that tries to appear female is female

My dick has no problem with that.
>>
>>1862287
nono, what i mean is, just because you try it doesn't mean you get there, and failing to get there means you are not it

basically

passing trap would be art
chris chan would not be art
>>
>>1860666
an act performed by an artist producing and work of art for an audience

>inb4 some pleb starts spouting narcissistic and self-centred bullshit like "art for art's sake" which may was well mean "I'm doing it for my own sake, as the audience does not approve of it as art abloo abloo"
>>
an object meant to be valued primarily for abstractions attached to it.

this is the only objective definition.
>>
>>1862305
Calling something art isn't a subjective statement. Anything made with creativity in order to create a feeling or emotion is art, it doesn't matter whether it does that well or not, all it matters is that's the intention behind it. Calling something art does not mean it's good.
>>
>>1862517
>all it matters is that's the intention behind it
no it doesn't,being good makes it art, there is no such thing as bad art, only failed attempts to make art
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>1862551
NO, NO IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT

STOP USING ART AS A VALUE JUDGMENT

EVEN BAD ART IS ART, JUST LIKE A BAD MOVIE IS STILL A MOVIE OR A BAD BOOK IS STILL A BOOK
>>
>>1862565
>EVEN BAD ART IS ART, JUST LIKE A BAD MOVIE IS STILL A MOVIE OR A BAD BOOK IS STILL A BOOK

but art is more than a painting, yes a bad painting is still a painting, but is not art
>>
>>1862594
`no`
>(uncountable) The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the senses and emotions, usually specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
If you put no creativity or intention to create a emotional affect in a painting or book, then it's not art. A textbook isn't art, but a novel is, even if the novel is a piece of shit. Not all books, photographs, movies, or paintings are art, but all intended to be art are art.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.